[net.music.folk] Airlines and Hammered Dulcimers

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (07/14/85)

> I am planning to take my hammered dulcimer with me to
> Southern California in a few weeks to visit my parents
> and friends.  I wonder if anyone on the net has ever
> tried to take a large, fragile instrument on a plane, and
> any tips on how to coerce them into letting me take it
> as a carry-on would be appreciated.
>
> So far, the suggestions I've gotten include:
>
> 1) Leave dulcimer with friend when giving luggage to
> nice folks at ticket counter;  do not mention dulcimer;
> appear at boarding with dulcimer and if they don't
> let me carry it on, at least it will go on top of
> the rest of the luggage.
>
> 2) Build a plywood box around the soft box it comes in
> (Note:  I am a strong woman, but that's *heavy*).
>
> 3) Pack in a large (i.e. at least 6 inches of space
> in every direction) box filled with styrofoam packing.
> Let baggage counter take care of it.  Mark fragile.
>
> Ellen Eades

1) Is the best choice IF  your hammered dulcimer will fit under a plane
seat.

2) I would have this in the car *just in case* ('scuse pun, please.)

We have taken our two (plucked) dulcimers to Puerto Rico on occasion.
The Miami International Eastern staff never gave us any trouble about
carrying it on, but once, coming home, they (@ San Juan) refused to let
us bring them on board ("sorry, we can't allow that on an international
flight."  "But you let us BRING them here!"  "I'm sorry...")
The reason I suggest you have that plywood handy is that they then made
us sign a release from liability from damages, if the instruments were
hurt...(GRRRRR!)  Happily, they weren't, but I wouldn't take chances...

--
					AMBAR
                    	{the known universe}!ihnp4!ihlpg!jeand

"To those who love it is given to hear
 Music too high for the human ear." 	--Bruce Cockburn

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (07/14/85)

<<<<

  Some professional musicians with large expensive instruments have been
forced buy tickets for their instruments to keep them out of the hands
of the airline gorillas. Their only consulation is watching the stewardess
try and serve dinner to a cello.

John Eaton

!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (07/20/85)

In article <105800001@hp-pcd.UUCP> john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) writes:
>  Some professional musicians with large expensive instruments have been
>forced buy tickets for their instruments to keep them out of the hands
>of the airline gorillas. Their only consulation is watching the stewardess
>try and serve dinner to a cello.

It's not public knowledge, and you may have to press them about it, but most
airlines will sell a half-price ticket to large expensive instruments.  Of
course, they don't expect the instrument to turn into a human, and would
probably get upset if it did.  :-)
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

zimmerm@ccvaxa.UUCP (07/22/85)

I have some friends that regularly cart their instumnets about, one
of them (instuments) being a hammer dulcimer. Depending on the size of
your instument you should be able to carry it on most commercial
flights. The carry on compartment is large enough for items like
portfolios and hang up suit luggage. Your instument is probably no
thicker than the hang up luggage and no larger in square inches than
a portfolio.
  A call ahead of time with deminsions in hand might be a good idea.
I would imagine you will get a sympathetic hearing.

Be happy you are not hauling around a Bass viol.

Bruce Zimmerman
Gould CSD
I can not disclaim what I don't even know

ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!zimmerm