[net.music.folk] Ossian vs. Oisin

keesan@bbncc5.UUCP (Morris M. Keesan) (07/22/85)

In article <248@persci.UUCP> bill@persci.UUCP (Bill Swan) writes:
>>Another group you may wish to look into is a Scottish group
>>called Ossian (pronounced oh-SHEEN).
>
>Could somebody straighten me out on the names Ossian (a Scottish group) and
>Ossian (an Irish group)? I'm told that one is pronounced oh-SHEEN, and the
>other AW-See-in. I had thought that oh-SHEEN was the Irish group, but I
>could be wrong. (I've enjoyed concerts by the Scottish Group!)

    The Scottish group is Ossian, pronounced AW-see-un.  The Irish group is
Oisin, with an accent mark over the second 'i', pronounced oh-SHEEN.
I guarantee that 'AW-see-un' is the way the Scottish group pronounces their
name.  I can't guarantee the pronunciation of Oisin, never having heard them
live, but 'oh-SHEEN' is consistent with what I learned in one semester of an
Irish Gaelic class.
--
Morris M. Keesan
keesan@bbn-unix.ARPA