[net.music.folk] Survey of Newsletters

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (07/10/85)

Many folk/traditional performers have personal newsletters in which
they publish, among other things, concert schedules and recording
availability information.  I'd like to build a list of such newsletters.

Please send me the titles and contact addresses of any such newsletters
you know of.  Regional or club newsletters would also be of interest.
[Yes, I realize this kind of information may be in some of the
sourcebooks that are already available; maybe some of it isn't...]

I will distill and post the results of this survey.

--
scott preece
ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!preece

debo@masscomp.UUCP (Deborah O'Hanlon) (07/31/85)

In article <13800002@ccvaxa> preece@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:

>Many folk/traditional performers have personal newsletters in which
>they publish, among other things, concert schedules and recording
>availability information.  I'd like to build a list of such newsletters.
>
>Please send me the titles and contact addresses of any such newsletters
>you know of.  Regional or club newsletters would also be of interest.
>[Yes, I realize this kind of information may be in some of the
>sourcebooks that are already available; maybe some of it isn't...]
>
>I will distill and post the results of this survey.

There are a couple of VERY good sourcebooks that you may want to buy...
and I don't think you can match their efforts for the prices:

	The Listener's Guide to Folk Music, by Sarah Lifton,
		Quarto Marketing Ltd, (119 West 57th St., NY,NY 10019),
		1983, hardcover $11.95.

and

	Grass Roots International Folk Resource Directory,
		Edited by Leslie Berman and Heather Wood,
		Grass Roots Productions, (444 West 54th St., NY,NY 10019),
		1985, paperback $12.95.

The Grass Roots Directory is a must for serious folkies who want to know
where to find out about what.  Included are more than 3500 listings of clubs,
festivals, folksong societies, radio shows, media, instrument builders and
repairpersons, mail order catalogues, and more.  It also indicates what groups
do what...coffeehouses, newsletters, etc.  Heather Wood may be known
by some of you.  She is a wonder of a person and a performer, who knows
a lot of people in the biz on either side of the Atlantic.  By the way, it
is also available from Grass Roots Productions, 8 Elrington Rd., London
E8 3BJ, England.

The Listener's Guide doesn't answer your original request, but I've noticed
that there are a few readers who seem to be looking for some reference guides
to this kind of music.  It is solid in its content, and of course, only
current to 1983.  But it's worth it for its background info and discussions of
music sub-catagories with the folk music genre, and its discography listing.

So go out there and GET FOLKED!