[net.music.folk] Celtic Harp Inquiry

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (07/08/85)

I am interested in Celtic harp albums, having heard this instrument
played on Prairie Home Companion.  Can anyone tell me which artists,
labels and albums I should be looking for?  I don't see any in my
local record stores, so will probably have to special order, and I
need a starting place.

Along the same lines, is there anyplace in the Denver-Boulder area
that carries lots of folk albums?

Thanks for your help.  Send replies by mail, and I`ll sumarize to
the net.

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

Send lawyers, guns, and money...
                                           -Warren Zevon

lee@rochester.UUCP (07/11/85)

Derek Bell (of the Chieftains) has at least two solo harp albums.
He has a very classical sound.  Another alternative is Alain Stivell
who has a more pop/rock sound.

bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) (07/11/85)

> I am interested in Celtic harp albums, having heard this instrument
> played on Prairie Home Companion.  Can anyone tell me which artists,
> labels and albums I should be looking for?
>
>                                      Sue Brezden

One of my favorites, playing traditional wire-strung celtic harp, is a
married couple from Chicago (whose names escape me at the moment), but who
perform under the name Clairseach (pronounced "clairshawk").  They have at
least two albums out, many cuts of which feature Ann's playing of the celtic
harp.

--
Robert Reed, CAE Systems Division, tektronix!teklds!bobr

radar@avsdT.BERKNET (Linda Kaplan) (07/11/85)

> I am interested in Celtic harp albums, having heard this instrument
> played on Prairie Home Companion.  Can anyone tell me which artists,
> labels and albums I should be looking for?  I don't see any in my
> local record stores, so will probably have to special order, and I
> need a starting place.
>
> Along the same lines, is there anyplace in the Denver-Boulder area
> that carries lots of folk albums?
>
> Thanks for your help.  Send replies by mail, and I`ll sumarize to
> the net.
>

> --
>
>                                      Sue Brezden
>
> Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
>             AT&T Information Systems
>             11900 North Pecos
>             Westminster, Co. 80234
>             (303)538-3829

> Send lawyers, guns, and money...
>                                            -Warren Zevon

bill@persci.UUCP (07/15/85)

Another record (tape) I like is Patrick Ball's "Celtic Harp - The Music of
Turlough O'Carolan" by Fortuna Records, Box 1116, Novato CA 94947. He plays
the traditional Irish wire-strung harp (which produces very bell-like tones).
--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

clive@druri.UUCP (StewardCN) (07/15/85)

You may want to check out Alan Stivell, who's likely the best known
practitioner.

He has a lot of albums out; probably the best one to start with is
Renaissance of the Celtic Harp.  I think it's his best effort; it's
sweet and has mystery; most people really seem to like it.

Many of the others are concert recordings, which tend to sound uneven and
maybe bombastic; maybe it has to do with the enthusiasm of the friends he
always seems to invite to play with him, and his interest in linking
rock and (pre-)tradition.  Which seems to have its points, though, on
stage.

I saw him in concert a few years ago (rare in US), and many people
left at the intermission.  Yet for those who stayed, he managed to
turn the thing into a kind of rave-up, getting people dancing
while he played the pied piper with one of those ancient reed horns which
sound something like a single bagpipe chanter.

Another path, and maybe offering wider sense of language in the experience,
is to listen to Kevin Burke and Michael O'Domhnaill.  Theirs is Irish (and
sometimes Breton) fiddle and Gaelic vocal music with a great difference of
sensitivity, and very individual guitar accompaniment.

connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) (07/20/85)

> > I am interested in Celtic harp albums...
>
> One of my favorites, playing traditional wire-strung celtic harp, is a
> married couple from Chicago (whose names escape me at the moment), but who
> perform under the name Clairseach (pronounced "clairshawk").  They have at
> least two albums out, many cuts of which feature Ann's playing of the celtic
> harp.
>
> --
> Robert Reed, CAE Systems Division, tektronix!teklds!bobr
  ,
Clairseach in Irish means "harp", and is pronounced something like
"claw-ir-shack".  That stroke over the "a" (called a fadha, I think) turns
it into an "aw" sound.  Speakers of German should note that the "ch" is the
same sound.  Not terribly relevant, but given the popularity of Irish folk
music, I thought people might like to know...
--
C. Ian Connolly, WA2IFI - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
	   ,      ,	  ARPANET: connolly@ge-crd

bill@persci.UUCP (07/28/85)

In article <184@steinmetz.UUCP> connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C.Ian Connolly) writes:
>  ,
>Clairseach in Irish means "harp", and is pronounced something like
>"claw-ir-shack".  That stroke over the "a" (called a fadha, I think) turns
>it into an "aw" sound.  Speakers of German should note that the "ch" is the
>same sound.  Not terribly relevant, but given the popularity of Irish folk
>music, I thought people might like to know...
>--
>C. Ian Connolly, WA2IFI - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
>	   ,      ,	  ARPANET: connolly@ge-crd
>An rud a bhionn, bionn.

I have always heard "Clairseach" (or whatever its myriad different spellings)
pronounced "klar-sock". Is the difference perhaps the difference between Irish
and Scottish Gaelic pronounciation? (I think this was the way Alison Kinnaird
pronounced it at her recent Seattle concert.) I have nearly always heard it in
reference to the Scottish Highland harp, but as in so many things to do with
Scottish ethnicity here in the USA, there is an awful lot of misinformation
and b**** floating around.

I had been hoping to take some courses in Scottish Gaelic here, but it seems
that the fellow who used to teach has met some fair young lass from the old
country, and no longer has time...

P.S. I think this belongs in net.nlang.celts, so I have re-directed follow-ups
     there. I hope somebody can answer my question..
--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) (08/01/85)

       As a Scottish friend of mine once put it: "The difference between Irish
 and Scottish is like the difference between Bavarian and Northern German." My
 Irish  teacher  was from southern Ireland, and the pronunciation was the best
 approximation  I  could  type.  The  pronunciation  you mentioned seems close
 enough,  and is probably different due to the different dialects, but I don't
 know much about the Scottish language.