[net.music.folk] One Last Note about _Puff_

slg@ukma.UUCP (Sean Gilley) (11/25/85)

I thought I'd follow up to my article about _Puff_ with the name of the second
person listed as writing the song.  The sheet music credits Peter Yarrow and
Leonard Lipton as having writen _Puff_.

Dylan writing _Puff_?  I can't evan imagine Dylan *singing* _Puff_.

						Sean.

--

    Sean L. Gilley  	     Phone: (606) 272-9620 or (606) 257-4613

      {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!ukma{!ukgs}!slg, slg@UKMA.BITNET

             Watches are a conspiracy by Swiss confidence men.

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (11/25/85)

> I thought I'd follow up to my article about _Puff_ with the name of the second
> person listed as writing the song.  The sheet music credits Peter Yarrow and
> Leonard Lipton as having writen _Puff_.
>
> Dylan writing _Puff_?  I can't evan imagine Dylan *singing* _Puff_.
>
> 						Sean.
to confirm :
	I went home and looked on my p p & m album (10 years toegether)
	and under puff is printed the following
		(Yarrow-Lipton)

Now I think that does it for this subject OK?
					Dave Scott
					ihlpa!ibyf

dsg@hlexa.UUCP (David S. Green) (11/26/85)

When Dylan ( who may or may not have taken his name from some poet . . . )
left Columbia Records in the mid to late seventies, Columbia released
an album entitled "Dylan" ( if memory serves me well ) which is without
a doubt the absolute worst album with Bobby's name on the cover.
Included were some classics like "The Boxer" and "Can't Help
Falling In Love".  Dylan singing Puff might have been preferable
to his doing an overdub of himself on "The Boxer".  Note that the
album was released against Dylan's better judgement, but Columbia
had a contract.
David S. Green  ..mhuxi!dsg   ..hlexa!dsg  etc.
PS Anyone know the real words to "You Aint Goin No Where" ?

cspencer@bbncc5.UUCP (Clifford Spencer) (11/27/85)

>> Leonard Lipton as having writen _Puff_.

I had heard that Lenny Lipton was one of the authors of Puff.
He also wrote the bible for super-8 filmakers, a book called
"Independent FIlmmaking".	-cliff

--
cliff spencer {harvard, ihnp4, decvax}!bbnccv!cspencer  cspencer@bbncc5.arpa

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) (12/09/85)

In article <4723@hlexa.UUCP> dsg@hlexa.UUCP (David S. Green) writes:

>When Dylan ( who may or may not have taken his name from some poet . . . )
>left Columbia Records in the mid to late seventies, Columbia released
>an album entitled "Dylan" ( if memory serves me well ) which is without
>a doubt the absolute worst album with Bobby's name on the cover.
>Included were some classics like "The Boxer" and "Can't Help
>Falling In Love".

	Hmmm. This is sorta strange. At first I disagreed that "Dylan" was
his absolute worst album (that honor definitely goes to "Saved", followed
closely by "Hard Rain", and then maybe by "Self Portrait"). But then I see
you cite The Boxer as an example of the album's horrificitude. Yes, The Boxer
was horrific, but it appeared on "Self Portrait", not "Dylan". Actually, the
story is this:

	In the early 70's, Dylan switched record labels, leaving Columbia
for David Geffin's Asylum Records. Columbia was not happy about the switch,
and by way of trying to "persuade" Bobby into staying, they threatened him
with the release of an album of out-takes from "Self Portrait". The tracks
that *did* make it onto SP were pretty bad to begin with, so I believe I
am justified in calling the proposed release of the outtakes a "threat".
Anyway, Dylan switched record companies anyway, and Columbia released the
album.

	As it turns out, I think the album is better that 90% of Self
Portrait (except "It Hurts Me Too" with Happy Traum - great, but not worth
the price of a double album).

>		    Dylan singing Puff might have been preferable
>to his doing an overdub of himself on "The Boxer".

   AMEN

>  Note that the
>album was released against Dylan's better judgement, but Columbia
>had a contract.
>David S. Green  ..mhuxi!dsg   ..hlexa!dsg  etc.
>PS Anyone know the real words to "You Aint Goin No Where" ?

Which "real" ones? I know several versions, which one is most real?

			-MKR