[net.religion.christian] Why Do We Christians Worship On Sunday?

ewf@ihu1m.UUCP (Gene Foster) (12/10/84)

After having gone through many passages of the Bible that things
like "Blessed are those who keep my Sabbath" what justification
do we give for worshiping on Sunday's rather than on the Sabbath?
God instructed us to save the last day of the week for him and
ever since way back calanders show Sunday as the first day of the week.
It seems to me Jewish people are right in worshiping on the Sabbath
but of course wrong by not accepting Christ.  Even Christ said to
worship, and he himself did, on the Sabbath.  Any thoughts on this
from other Christians?

gene foster
ihu1m!ewf

kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) (12/12/84)

> After having gone through many passages of the Bible that things
> like "Blessed are those who keep my Sabbath" what justification
> do we give for worshiping on Sunday's rather than on the Sabbath?

Well Gene, there is a simple, two part answer to your question.

Can you find this or similar passages in the New Testament?
If they are found only in the Old Testament, they apply
to a people under the covenant of the Law. If found in the New
Testament, their discussion is a response to people outside
of the early church attempting to force the Law and all of its
implications on the new Christian believers. In the arguments
of the New Testament writers they demonstrate how the death
of Jesus Christ fulfilled the requirements of the Law. With
these requirements met, Christians are now free in the Lord to
worship God, through Jesus as the Intercessor, at any time. Also
realize that the early church met almost exclusively in the
homes of fellow believers and not in the Temple or synagogue.
If they were to keep the Sabbath, why meet and worship in
a home and not in the building set up for this purpose?

> It seems to me Jewish people are right in worshiping on the Sabbath
> but of course wrong by not accepting Christ.  Even Christ said to
> worship, and he himself did, on the Sabbath.
>
> gene foster
> ihu1m!ewf

The Jewish people are right in worshiping on the Sabbeth. They are
still choosing to continue to live under the requirements of the
Law. Christ himself worshiped on the Sabbeth. He did so as not to
violate any part of the Law. Remember, He committed no sin against
God or the Law that God gave to the Jewish people, but fulfilled it.

Of secondary importance is the tradition of worshiping on Sunday. This
is a result of the early church celebrating the bodily (in the flesh,
complete with the holes in the hands, feet, and side and the cuts
on the forehead) resurrection of Jesus Christ on the Sunday following
the Friday crucifiction.

Thanks for the chance to respond.

bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (12/19/84)

In article <ihu1m.152> ewf@ihu1m.UUCP (Gene Foster) writes:
>After having gone through many passages of the Bible that things
>like "Blessed are those who keep my Sabbath" what justification
>do we give for worshiping on Sunday's rather than on the Sabbath?
>God instructed us to save the last day of the week for him and
>ever since way back calanders show Sunday as the first day of the week.
>It seems to me Jewish people are right in worshiping on the Sabbath
>but of course wrong by not accepting Christ.  Even Christ said to
>worship, and he himself did, on the Sabbath.  Any thoughts on this
>from other Christians?
>
>gene foster
>ihu1m!ewf

	Many Christian denominations view Sunday as the Sabbath, especially
among Presbyterian and Reformed churches.  Since God's Law, expressed in the
Ten Commandments, is just as applicable to us today, we are still obligated
to keep God's Sabbath holy just as we are obligated not to commit adultery
or make graven images.  The Sabbath was a creation ordinance (1 day of rest
in 7) and has never been undone.  It was meerly reissued at the time of
the Mosaic law.

	Since the New Testament indicates that early Christians worshipped
together on the first day of the week, we have good reason to move the
Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.

--
Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl

guy@enmasse.UUCP (Guy K. Hillyer) (12/22/84)

In article <ihu1m.152> ewf@ihu1m.UUCP (Gene Foster) writes:
> ...what justification
>do we give for worshiping on Sunday's rather than on the Sabbath?

I always thought Christians worshipped on Sunday
because the alleged resurrection was on a Sunday.

		-- Guy Hillyer
		{decvax,linus,harvard!wjh12}!genrad!enmasse!guy

davis@hplabs.UUCP (Jim Davis) (01/04/85)

Tom Albrecht says that Presbyterians view Sunday as the Sabbath.
I am not sure what he means by "Presbyterians", I am a member
of the United Presbyterian Church and Sunday is the day of
worship.  It is not the Sabbath.  We should still observe the
Sabbath.  The only reason that one can get by not worshiping
on the Sabbath is that you have been freed from the law through
Jesus' attonment.  That is not to say that you shouldn't
observe the law.  It is just to point out that although you can't,
you can still have faith in salvation.

PS.  No I am not a minister.  Just a congregant.

TA> 	Many Christian denominations view Sunday as the Sabbath, especially
TA> among Presbyterian and Reformed churches.  Since God's Law, expressed in the
TA> Ten Commandments, is just as applicable to us today, we are still obligated
TA> to keep God's Sabbath holy just as we are obligated not to commit adultery
TA> or make graven images.  The Sabbath was a creation ordinance (1 day of rest
TA> in 7) and has never been undone.  It was meerly reissued at the time of
TA> the Mosaic law.
TA>
TA> 	Since the New Testament indicates that early Christians worshipped
TA> together on the first day of the week, we have good reason to move the
TA> Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.

TA> Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
TA> 			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl

--
----------------------------------
	Jim Davis (James W Davis)

bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (01/07/85)

In article <hplabs.1343> davis@hplabs.UUCP (Jim Davis) writes:
>Tom Albrecht says that Presbyterians view Sunday as the Sabbath.
>I am not sure what he means by "Presbyterians", I am a member
>of the United Presbyterian Church and Sunday is the day of
>worship.  ...

Many Presbyterians acknowledge the Westminster Confession of Faith as a
standard for church teaching subordinate to the Bible.  The Confession
devotes an entire chapter to Christian Worship and addresses the issue of the
Christian Sabbath.  You might ask your minister what the official United
Presbyterian position is toward the Westminster Confession. I know that at
one time it was held in high regard by UPs, but this may have changed.
I happen to be a member of a more conservative Presbyterian denomination
(Presbyterian Church in America) and we view the Confession as one of the
official teaching documents of our church.

> ... It is not the Sabbath.  We should still observe the
>Sabbath.  The only reason that one can get by not worshiping
>on the Sabbath is that you have been freed from the law through
>Jesus' attonment.  ...

When would you suggest we observe the Sabbath, if indeed we should observe
it?