[net.religion.christian] the Lord's Day vs. the Sabbath in the Reformed tradition

hedrick@topaz.ARPA (Chuck Hedrick) (01/09/85)

I would like to give a bit of background on the Sabbath/Sunday issue from
the position of Reformed Christianity.  Unfortunately, I am really not able
to speak for the other branches of the Church, though I will mention a
couple of Lutheran items also.  (For those of you not familiar with the
terminology, Reformed covers those churches that are descended from the
reformation is Switzerland, Scotland, the Low Countries, and to some extent
England.  In the U.S. it includes Presbyterians, Congregational [UCC?], and
various other churches.)

I claim that the history of the Sabbath is an interesting example of a
general tendency in the Church: alternate reformations, which loosen things
up and get us back to the spirit of things, and periods of growing legalism.
It seems that humans find it uncomfortable to live without clear rules.  As
is well known, one of the major charges against Jesus in his trial was that
he was a Sabbath-breaker.  He healed on the Sabbath, and did not follow all
of the appropriate laws.  (By the way, he was not alone in Judaism.  There
would have been other rabbis who would have supported most of his stands.
It is false to portray all of first-century Judaism as legalistic.)  His
summary was "the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." It
appears that the church during the next few decades continued to observe the
Sabbath, but as a Jewish observance.  Paul is shown going to synagogues on
the Sabbath, as are other Christians.  It does not seem that distinctively
Christian celebrations tooks place on the Sabbath.  Rather, they tended to
be on Sunday, or the "Lord's Day."  This appears to have been viewed as a
celebration of Jesus' resurrection (which happened on a Sunday), rather than
as a Sabbath.  And the various rules about what could not be done on the
Sabbath would not have applied to it (though of course many of the
Christians would have been Jews, and would still have kept the Jewish
Sabbath).

By the 16th Century, Christians were applying the 4th Commandment to
Sunday, and referring to it as the Sabbath.  They had built up a set of
rules about what could and could not be done that were similar in many
ways to those under which Jesus was prosecuted.  One reference I looked
at claimed that this was largely a medieval innovation.  But I don't
claim to know anything about the period between the New Testament and
the Reformation, so don't take my word for that.  Anyway, both Calvin
and Luther opposed this taking over of the Sabbath regulations by
the Christian Church.  Calvin's stand was the more radical.  He did
not want to use the term Sabbath at all.  He argued that Christ had
abrogated the ceremonial parts of the Jewish law, so we were no longer
supposed to keep the Sabbath.  He did agree that it was still a good
idea to have regular times for meeting, and regular rest, but there
was nothing magical about the number 7 or any particular day.  Calvin
is classified as anti-Sabbatarian.  I am not an authority on Luther.
However in the Large Catechism he says similar but somewhat less
radical things.  He also opposes any superstitious overvaluing of a
particular day.  But he does think we need to choose a day.  He calls
it the Sabbath.  And he applies the 3rd Commandment [Luther counted
his commandments differently than Calvin] to it, mandating
a day of rest.  He certainly didn't have the full set of medieval
rules, but he said enough to allow opportunity for a new set to grow.

Later documents from the 16th Century seem to have continued this.  The
Heidelberg Catechism (from the Reformed tradition) is very close to Calvin.
The Second Helvetic Confession, another 16th Century Reformed document, is
even more so:  "we do not believe that one day is any holier than another
... we celebrate the Lord's Day and not the Sabbath as a free observance."
The Augsburg Confession (a 16th Century Lutheran document) says that Sunday
is not a necessary institution.  It was established  for convenience.  It
says that worship was moved from the Sabbath to Sunday specifically to make
the point that it is a free observation and not the Sabbath.  However it
seems that such freedom can't last long.  Slowly but surely people
started refering to the Lord's Day as the Sabbath again, and bringing in
the various prohibitions of what could be done then.  The Westminster
Confession (1647, a Reformed document, though one that many of us would
like to put in the back of a closet somewhere) still talks about
freedom from the ceremonial law.  But it uses the term Sabbath for Sunday,
using phrases like "in his Word ... binding on all men in all ages ...
he hath ... appointed one day in seven for a Sabbath ... from the
resurrection of Christ was changed into the first day of the week."  This
is the most bald identification of Sunday with the Sabbath, and laid the
groundwork for all sorts of regulations as to what could and could not
be done on the "Sabbath".

In general I would say that most Presbyterians have now returned to Calvin's
understanding of the Lord's Day.  I would love to be able to state
categorically that the "true Christian view" is that we do not celebrate the
Sabbath, but rather the Lord's Day.  However it is clear from above that the
church has gone back and forth between two different ways of handling this
issue, and that even a fairly coherent theological tradition, such as the
Reformed one, will likely show both viewpoints.  One's position in this
issue is related to one's view on the proper use of the Old Testament in
Christianity.  This was a very important topic for Calvin.  His view on the
Lord's Day followed from a careful analysis of the relationship between
Judaism and Christianity, and of what it means for the Old Testament to be
part of the Christian scripture.  This analysis has tended to get replaced
by simpler legalisms.  (As in so many other cases, Calvin himself is not a
Calvinist, and holds exactly the opposite position from what most people
would expect.)

In case anyone else out there is a Presbyterian, you might like to know
that the current Book of Order takes a position somewhere between Calvin's
and that of the Westminster Confession.  It carefully uses the term
"Lord's Day", rather than Sabbath.  But it does say that God has appointed
one day in seven to be holy to the Lord.  This clearly connects the
Lord's Day to the Commandment, and to the understanding of Sunday as
the Sabbath.

bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (01/15/85)

In article <topaz.194> hedrick@topaz.ARPA (Chuck Hedrick) writes:
>In case anyone else out there is a Presbyterian, you might like to know
>that the current Book of Order takes a position somewhere between Calvin's
>and that of the Westminster Confession.  It carefully uses the term
>"Lord's Day", rather than Sabbath.  But it does say that God has appointed
>one day in seven to be holy to the Lord.  This clearly connects the
>Lord's Day to the Commandment, and to the understanding of Sunday as
>the Sabbath.

This flavor of Presbyterian (PCA) has a Book of Church Order which
says "God commanded his Old Testament people to keep holy the
last day of the week, but he sanctified the first day as the
Sabbath by the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead."
48-3.  Since Presbyterians come in all
shapes and sizes it may be well for us to identify ourselves with the
particular denomination with which we are associated.

Calvin's error seems to be in his understanding of
the Sabbath as simply a part of the ceremonial law.  As I pointed out in
an earlier posting, the Sabbath was given to us as part of the moral
law and was clearly a creation ordinance, binding on all men (Gen.
2:2,3).  Calvin steers an interesting course in his
discussion of the Sabbath.  On the one hand he says that the Sabbath
has been abrogated; on the other he says that just as the Jew was
obliged to worship on a particular day and to give to their employees a
day of rest from worldly cares so too is the Christian under the same
obligation (Institutes VIII 32).

Those of us who hold to a covenant view of scripture see a close
relationship between Israel in the Old Testament and the church in the
New Testament.  God has made one covenant with men for the
redemption of the world through Jesus Christ and has revealed this
covenant in several different ways in scripture.  Covenant
theology teaches that the church of the OT and the church of the NT are
one and the same through the shed blood of Jesus.  We admit that
the types in the OT pointing to Christ have been fulfilled, however
the Sabbath rest for God's people is a present reality and a future
promise.

--
Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl