[net.religion.christian] Sin for Jew and Christian

jah@philabs.UUCP (Julie Harazduk) (01/15/85)

> > (Julie Harazduk) writes:
> >Besides, the Jewish nation is defined by descendancy--from Abraham's seed--
> >not by faith and actions towards G-d.  For example,
> >  Sin is defined by the Law, so if Jesus isn't
> >the Messiah, then I'm just another sinful Jew and if Jesus is the Messiah
> >then I'm forgiven by the Grace of G-d.  The word "Christian" is just another
> >word for "Messiah believer", anyway.
> >
> >Psalm 80:19 Turn us again, O Lord God of hosts, cause thy face to shine;
> >and we shall be saved.

>  Jay writes:
> 	The question of being a "sinner" is a major difference between
> Judaism and Christianity.  Jews do not believe people are born sinners so
> we do not need a mesiah to die for us in order to save us from sin.

The problem arises when G-d believes people are born "sinners".  Not only
are they born sinners (by virtue of their nature) but they have no right-
eousness.  Read the Psalms to find out how much BOTH Jews and Christians
need G-d's mercy and forgiveness for sins and, for that matter, an unright-
eous heart.  For example, Psalm 86:5 says, "For thou, Lord, art good, and
ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee."
Forgive what? And how about Psalm 25:11 "For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon
mine iniquity; for it is great."  And also in Psalm 14 the entire Psalm is
devoted to the sin of men.  Especially in verses 2 and 3, "The LORD looked
down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that
did understand, and seek God.  They are all gone aside, they are all
together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

The Psalms are part of the Tanach which is considered the writings.  Basically
the writings give practical wisdom and are not generally known for prophetic
utterances from G-d.  They, rather, are used as mostly songs of worship and
pleas to G-d, as well as for their practical application to individuals.
These citings are a very small list of instances that I found just thumbing
through the Psalms.  In Isaiah, I know there is something about Our right-
eousness is like rags, next to the LORD's.  And I'm sure there are numerous
other instances all throughout the Old Testament that point us towards man's
sin.  Not necessarily sin we are born with but the tendency towards sin.
All of us have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God, says another
notable theologian (sort of :-)ly.

Don't be fooled by common understanding.  Look for yourself.

Julie Harazduk
philabs!jah