[net.religion.christian] Mormons are not Christians.

wmk@ptsfa.UUCP (Bill Klein) (02/06/85)

In article <319@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> you write:

>Christians believe in one God in three Persons; the Father,
>the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and that there is no god other
>than the one God.

This is an excellent definition of "Trinitarians" not of Christians.
For much of the history of Christianity, the nature of the Trinity
has been debated. Most, but not all Christian denominations believe
in it. On the other hand to say that the definition of a Christian
denomination is one that believes in the Trinity only says you are
really defining Trinitarian denominations.

>Christians believe that salvation is a free gift and was
>accomplished once and for all by Jesus' death on the cross.
>The works are a result of faith.  (If you don't understand what
>I just wrote, at least recognize that it's not the same thing
>at what Mormons believe).

Have you ever read anything about the Reformation? I believe the number
of current Christian denominations that accept at least the VALUE of
good works if not the requirements for good works probably equals
the number who do not.

>Mormons believe that only Mormons are 'true Christians', and that
>*everybody* else is apostate (look it up).
>
>Christians of many different backgrounds accept the basic validity
>of each other's faith and doctrine.

To the best of my knowledge the Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist
Presbyterian and a variety of other "churches" ALL state in their
official doctrine that they are the ONE TRUE CHURCH. (They either
excommunicate or damn each other.) I appreciate that many are moving
toward reconciliation but what are they move from?

In conclusion, I have not studied the Mormon doctrine well enough to
know if I would "label" them as Christian. However, I believe there
are only two valid questions:
 1. Do they label themselves as Christian?
 2. Does God label them as Christian?

I don't personally have the answer to either question!

Bill Klein          (...!ucbvax!dual!ptsfa!wmk)
 Pacific Bell

sm@cadre.UUCP (02/23/85)

In article <469@ptsfa.UUCP> wmk@ptsfa.UUCP (Bill Klein) writes:
>To the best of my knowledge the Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist
>Presbyterian and a variety of other "churches" ALL state in their
>official doctrine that they are the ONE TRUE CHURCH. (They either
>excommunicate or damn each other.)

No, no, no, no, no! Why do people keep printing this without substantiation?

Sean McLinden