[net.religion.christian] Religion and politics don't mix?

In article <605@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) writes:
>> According to the Catholic
>> Defense League of South Africa, the WCC through its
>> Program to Combat Racism gave nearly $200,000 to anti-
>> South-African terrorist groups, including over $75,000
>> to the Southwest African Peoples' Organization (SWAPO)."

[Don Black]

>> I don't understand why a supposedly Christian organization is
>> giving support to an Antichrist organization.  There's an old axiom
>> that says anything that walks lie a duck, talks like a duck, lays
>> ducks' eggs, and hangs around with other ducks, must probably be
>> some kind of a duck.  If this news item has any veracity, then it
>> would appear that the WCC is not in fact an ecclesiastic organization,
>> but rather a front for the collection of funds to support the
>> international Communist conspiracy.  (Note to US readers:  the US
>> affiliate of the WCC is the National Council of Churches.)

>Could you please explain why 1) it is the work of an "Antichrist
>organization" when racism is combatted?  2) it is a symptom of a world
>communist conspiracy when racism is combatted?

I won't attempt to justify answers to these questions as they are stated.
Don Black's phraseology rather loads the question, after all.  When restated
in less emotionally charged language, however, the problem he states is a
very real one.

   The WCC has in fact given money to various overtly communist terrorist
groups which beset South Africa, as well as some of her neighbors.  These
terrorists (or revolutionaries, if you choose) do not conceal their
hostility towards christianity, choosing to take money from whoever gives
it.  Moreover, many american church leaders have questioned the morality of
giving support to groups which would prefer to suppress christianity, and
which in any case willfully ignore any tenet of christian morality.

  Rich, I understand your reaction to Don Black's rhetoric; but the problem
is real.  Would you like to have the U.S. government pay money to have (for
instance) Nicaraugua made "safe for Christianity"?

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe