[net.religion.christian] Marchionni's OPINIONS on female priests

V6M@PSUVM.BITNET (02/25/85)

<<>>
At the risk of
A) Excommunication from my Church when I disagree
 or
B) Excommunication from the secular society when I agree

Here goes.

Female priests:

I agree with the Church here.  Christ had the opportunity to "ordain" women
when He ordained the Apostles. The Early Church also had ample opportunity
to ordain women.

Why is Tradition so IMPORTANT?  Precisley because not all contingencies could
be written down.  Can you see it now?? Something out of "Foundation"
where Christ would appear every so many years in pre-recorded form to tell us
what to do.

Since Christ wasn't stupid He left the Spirit to guide the Church. And it is
the Spirit which helps the Church UNDERSTAND Revelation.  As of this writing
the Church understands it to mean only male priests.

By the way an amputee would need permission to be a priest if he couldn't
pick up the host.  (See Jogues, Isaac; Saint and Martyr)
Celibacy is an ecclesiastical rule and can be revoked as necessary.

As for other characteristics:

Christ said teach all nations therfore males of all nations can be priests
since a worldwide apostolic succession is NEEDED.

Why didn't Christ come as a women?  He didn't tell me. (maybe He told
Ken Arndt :-)  )  If He had then all priests would have been women.

I know of no infallible teaching on it YET but if it is allowed then I'll
abide by it  (GRUDGINGLY)  since I look at the priesthood as the last
masculine role model intact; it being the perfect example of fatherhood.
(NO I don't feel like explaining it)

Vince   V6M@PSUVM.BITNET

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (02/27/85)

> Female priests:
>
> I agree with the Church here.  Christ had the opportunity to "ordain" women
> when He ordained the Apostles. The Early Church also had ample opportunity
> to ordain women.

Come, now, Vince.  The role of women at that time was tightly circumscribed.
Christ worked within the conventions of society.  This is hardly a renegade
opinion.  What seems unfortunate to me is the importance you (and the
R.C. Church hierarchy) ascribe to a legitimate (for that time) omission.

> Why is Tradition so IMPORTANT?  Precisley because not all contingencies could
> be written down.  Can you see it now?? Something out of "Foundation"
> where Christ would appear every so many years in pre-recorded form to tell us
> what to do.
> Since Christ wasn't stupid He left the Spirit to guide the Church. And it is
> the Spirit which helps the Church UNDERSTAND Revelation.  As of this writing
> the Church understands it to mean only male priests.

I wasn't saying that Tradition isn't important, only that it isn't the
last word by any means.  In a sense, Tradition has no power unto itself--
rather, it is fallible evidence of the Spirit working within the Church.
You seem to have rather conveniently sidestepped my other examples, such
as the reforms which were introduced into the Church subsequent to Vatican II
which demonstrate the Spirit working in a rather anti-Traditional fashion
(at least as seem by the ecclesiatical Luddites.)  An appeal to tradition
should be respected AS SUCH, but it alone is a very very weak prop.

If we look at work of the Spirit in the Church writ large, there is
significant evidence that our fellow Churches, such as the Episcopal
and Lutheran, have a Prophetic role to play in the eventual ordination
of women by the Roman Catholic Church.  The Church comes to UNDERSTAND
Revelation through the working of the Spirit.  Some of the ways in which
the Spirit works are in the aspirations of millions of lay and religious
women in the Church, through the discussion of this topic by people
of good will, and by the examples of our sister Churches.  Out of what
looks like controversy will eventually arise consensus.

> I know of no infallible teaching on it YET but if it is allowed then I'll
> abide by it  (GRUDGINGLY)  since I look at the priesthood as the last
> masculine role model intact; it being the perfect example of fatherhood.
> (NO I don't feel like explaining it)

A testament to Vince's faith in the Church, I suppose.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (03/06/85)

In article <1613V6M@PSUVM> V6M@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

>Female priests:
>
>I agree with the Church here.  Christ had the opportunity to "ordain" women
>when He ordained the Apostles. The Early Church also had ample opportunity
>to ordain women.

What makes you think that Christ did not "ordain" women?  He most certainly
did teach them, send them out as missionaries, and he defended them when they
acted against the traditions of their society in their pursuit of knowledge
of God.  Women are not allowed to be priests under the order of Levi, if
I recall correctly, but they WERE prophets, judges, and leaders of the
community and the temples.

Further, there is strong evidence in the Letters that women held positions
as apostles, as bishops, and as teachers of scripture.  Phoebe was called
an apostle.

We know that the Twelve had a special place as leaders of the church.
We also know that they did not pass on their roles.  The name "apostle"
was given to anyone who saw Jesus alive before and after His death and
resurrection.

>Since Christ wasn't stupid He left the Spirit to guide the Church. And it is
>the Spirit which helps the Church UNDERSTAND Revelation.  As of this writing
>the Church understands it to mean only male priests.

This is not obvious at all.  The RC church claims that it means only male
priests, but they also have hangups about celibacy that make it impossible
for them to follow the teachings of Scripture in regard to the choosing of
a Bishop.  Other branches of the Church which have equally valid reason to
claim the presence of the guidance of the Holy Spirit, have determined that
scripture DOES permit women in the role of priests.

Hutch