[net.religion.christian] Christian Homosexuals

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (03/18/85)

Subject: Christian attitudes toward homosexuality
Newsgroups: net.christian

In article <burdvax.1972> bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) writes:

>[...] A man living in adultery, drunkenness or homosexuality is not
>exhibiting the marks of a true Christian.  Steps should be taken
>to discipline those who are living in open rebellion to the Word of God.
>[...] After much prayer and exhortation, they would have been excommunicated
>if they remained in their sin (no matter what the sin).  Of course,
>they will seek our those of their own thinking and band together to
>form a new "church".  That doesn't mean it's a Christian church.  Just
>saying it's so doesn't make it so.

I have met Christians who sin regularly.  True, they also repent regularly,
but the sinning continues.  These people are members of traditional,
fundamentalist congregations.  Christians have explained this to me
by maxims such as:

    "A church is not a museum for saints, but hospital for sinners."
and
    "Christians are not perfect -- just forgiven."

So why should homosexual behavior be treated more harshly than other sins?
Is it because homosexuals sin in an unconventional way?

		Frank Silbermann
		University of North Carolina

garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) (03/19/85)

> I have met Christians who sin regularly.

There aren't any other kind.

> True, they also repent regularly,
> but the sinning continues.  These people are members of traditional,
> fundamentalist congregations.  Christians have explained this to me
> by maxims such as:
>
>     "A church is not a museum for saints, but hospital for sinners."
> and
>     "Christians are not perfect -- just forgiven."
>
> So why should homosexual behavior be treated more harshly than other sins?
> Is it because homosexuals sin in an unconventional way?

No, it's because they don't "repent regularly." (If that is the case.)
If a Christian has fallen into the habit of lying, for example, then
he may not be able to get away from that habit immediately.  Is he
still a liar, though he is a Christian?  Well, probably, but he's
working on it.  Sometimes conversion to Christianity results in
immediate, dramatic changes; other times the changes are gradual.

I have no problems with a homosexual Christian who, believing that
homosexual acts are sinful, is trying to get away from it.  I
definitely would have a problem with a homosexual Christian, who,
believing that homosexual acts are sinful, makes no effort to change.
I have somewhat less of a problem with a homosexual Christian who
sincerely believes that homosexual acts are not sinful, but that may
be my problem, not necessarily his.

So, in answer to your question, homosexual behavior should not be
treated more harshly than other sins.

Now, since someone will no doubt ask why I consider homosexual
behavior to be sinful, I will try to explain, probably once and
only once, since there has already been enough flaming about it.
Genesis says, "A man shall leave his father and mother and cleave
unto his wife."  It doesn't say he may cleave unto anyone who
suits him, only his wife.  Perhaps a little clearer is I Cor. 7:2,
where Paul says, "Because of the temptation to immorality, let
each man have his own wife and each woman her own husband."  The
implication that the only way to avoid immorality (other than
total abstinence, which Paul agreed was too hard for some) is
heterosexual monogamy seems pretty clear, and such implication
does not depend on any particular translation of "porneia," rendered
"immorality" here.

Someone who disagrees with my conclusion might want to start
a discussion on the principles of hermeneutics.

> 		Frank Silbermann
> 		University of North Carolina

Gary Samuelson
ittvax!bunker!garys

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (03/20/85)

>Now, since someone will no doubt ask why I consider homosexual
>behavior to be sinful, I will try to explain, probably once and
>only once, since there has already been enough flaming about it.
>Genesis says, "A man shall leave his father and mother and cleave
>unto his wife."  It doesn't say he may cleave unto anyone who
>suits him, only his wife.

    This argument makes gays no more sinful than, say, old maids, or
    Catholic Priests.

>Perhaps a little clearer is I Cor. 7:2,
>where Paul says, "Because of the temptation to immorality, let
>each man have his own wife and each woman her own husband."  The
>implication that the only way to avoid immorality (other than
>total abstinence, which Paul agreed was too hard for some) is
>heterosexual monogamy seems pretty clear, and such implication
>does not depend on any particular translation of "porneia," rendered
>"immorality" here.

Corinthians 7 (From the Nestle Greek Text):

    1. Peri de      hwn   egrapsate: kalon anthrwpw  gunaikos my haptesthai
       Concerning of that you wrote: good  for a man a woman  not to touch.
    2. dia de tas porneias,  hekastos tyn heautou gunaika exetw,
       Because of [??????]   each man     his own wife    let have
       kai hekasty    ton idion   andra   exetw.
       and each woman     her own husband let have.

    1. Now concerning the things you wrote: It is good for a man
       not to touch a woman.
    2. But because of [porneias], let every man have his own
       wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

From Follett's "Classic Greek Dictionary":

    porneia (fem n.) fornication, prostitution
    porneuw (verb) to prostitute:- Pass., of a woman, to be or become a harlot
    porny, (fem n.) a harlot
    pornoboskew (verb) to keep a brothel
    pornoboskia (fem n) brothel-keeping

    BTW, `porneias' is the accusative plural of `porneia'.

    Your reference would seem to actually PREFER longterm homosexual
    relationship, especially if it kept people away from brothels!

    Incidentally, I DO wish people be more careful when announcing their own
    beliefs. Contributors to this group often say "Christians believe P"
    when they oughta say "Orthodox Christians/Catholics/X/I Believe P".

    How many people here can speak for the Quakers or Christian Scientists?

-michael