[net.religion.christian] Number of Commandments, etc.

stanwyck@ihlpa.UUCP (Don Stanwyck) (04/01/85)

> And what he teaches isn't very difficult...keep the commandments
> (there are only 10, each can be summed up in a sentence, although
> they can be translated differently . . .
>
> Paul Anderson

Actually, in the New Testament we are told that these 10 can be summed up
in just two commands:
	1. Love the Lord your God with all you heart, mind, and soul;
		(covers 1-4)
	2. Love your neighbor as yourself (covers 5-10).

If you love God, you will worship only Him, save time for Him, etc.

If you love others >= yourself, you won't do things to them that you
would not do to yourself - e.g. you won't kill them, steal from them,
covet their goods (you don't want them coveting yours, do you?), and
you will honor them - including your parents, of course.

It all makes sense to me.
----
Now, I must add one other thing.  I don't believe that just keeping the
commandments is enough.   Since no one can keep the commandments
perfectly, we must rely instead on the blood sacrifice of the only one
who could.  (Rom 3:23, Rom 5:8 ff, etc.)  We must still try to keep the
commandments (Eph. 2:10, 2 Tim 3:17), but we can find forgiveness when
we fail (1 John 1:9).

God Bless you and help you as you seek after Him.

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (04/03/85)

In article <ihlpa.175> stanwyck@ihlpa.UUCP (Don Stanwyck) writes:

>Actually, in the New Testament we are told that these 10 (commandments)
>can be summed up
>in just two commands:
>	1. Love the Lord your God with all you heart, mind, and soul;
>		(covers 1-4)
>	2. Love your neighbor as yourself (covers 5-10).
>
>Now, I must add one other thing.  I don't believe that just keeping the
>commandments is enough.   Since no one can keep the commandments
>perfectly, we must rely instead on the blood sacrifice of the only one
>who could.  (Rom 3:23, Rom 5:8 ff, etc.)  We must still try to keep the
>commandments (Eph. 2:10, 2 Tim 3:17), but we can find forgiveness when
>we fail (1 John 1:9).

What about the commandment to believe?
Aren't Christians commanded to believe in the miracles described
in the Apostle's Creed in order to benefit from them?

	Frank Silbermann