[net.religion.christian] charismatics and the Holy Spirit

purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) (04/16/85)

In article <1@gatech.CSNET> strick@gatech.UUCP (henry strickland) writes:

>Does this mean Baptism of the Holy Spirit?  Would the Catholic/
>Episcopal/Lutheran netters explain why no such thing exists?
>Why I was never even told anyone thought it did?
>What was John the Baptist talking about?
>Would a charismatic explain why it is important?

Yes, I meant the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. This basically means (at
least as far as I've been taught) that God sends down his spirit to you
when you ask for it, of course being sincere in wanting it. When you
receive it you speak in tongues as some sort of proof that you have
gotten it. I know people that do not believe that speaking in tongues or
not speaking in tongues is proof of anything, but I don't know which one
of those is the more accepted opinion. If you want a Biblical reference
for all of this you will find it in Acts chapter 2, most notably verse
38. Some charistmatics think that it is important because it is
necessary for salvation. Others just think that it is a good thing to
have. Again, I don't know which of these is the more accepted opinion.

>Would a charismatic say I'm in trouble if I don't worry about it?

 Some would say that you were not truely seeking God and were going to
go to hell if you didn't start worrying. Other's like me would say no,
just live your life the way that you feel God wants you to. When I said
that there were organizations that put too much emphasis on the Holy
Spirit I meant that they believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit was
basically the ultimate thing that could happen to one as a Christian.
I've heard sermons preached ad naseum on the Holy Spirit, totally
neglecting Christ. And statements to the effect that if you prayed in
tongues twice a day you were a better Christian than someone who only
did once a week. This is what I call too much emphasis on the Holy
Spirit.

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/18/85)

>  Some would say that you were not truely seeking God and were going to
> go to hell if you didn't start worrying. Other's like me would say no,
> just live your life the way that you feel God wants you to. When I said
> that there were organizations that put too much emphasis on the Holy
> Spirit I meant that they believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit was
> basically the ultimate thing that could happen to one as a Christian.
> I've heard sermons preached ad naseum on the Holy Spirit, totally
> neglecting Christ. And statements to the effect that if you prayed in
> tongues twice a day you were a better Christian than someone who only
> did once a week. This is what I call too much emphasis on the Holy
> Spirit.

Good point.  The Holy Spirit glorifies Christ, not Himself.  Your
comment about the ad nauseum sermons is a good one.  The Spirit just
does not want to glorify Himself, just as Jesus glorified the Father,
not Himself.

If anyone's wondering why a hardcore fundamentalist like me is
commenting on this, it's because this hardcore fundamentalist also
speaks in tongues...
--

Paul DuBois	{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

"Danger signs, a creeping independence"                             |