[net.religion.christian] Bible NON-Translations

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (04/11/85)

I'm looking for versions of the Bible that are as close as possible to
the original texts, whatever that means.

From what I can gather, the New Testament was compiled from various Greek,
Latin, Hebrew and Aramaic texts that appeared during the first two
centuries AD.

Since I've been led to believe that Aramaic was the language spoken by
Christ, it would seem that versions in this dialect ought to be as
close to authentic as one could get, at least in the 4 Gospels, where
his words are often directly quoted, yes?

On the other hand, I do not know what languages Matthew, Mark, Luke and
John actually spoke and wrote in. Perhaps they used a more standard
dialect of ancient Hebrew.

Below are the Hebrew/Aramaic versions of the New Testament that I am aware of.
Can anybody enlighten me as to how they differ, or which, if any, is more
authentic than the other?

	Peshitta Version (Aramaic)
	Ginsberg & Salkinson Version (Hebrew) (with Snaith Old Testament)
	F. Delitzsch Version (Hebrew)

If there are any major versions I've overlooked, please let me know! Please
note, I am NOT looking for translations into Modern Hebrew.

Information about the various Latin Versions would be appropriate as well.

Xristos Anesti

-michael

In article <177@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:

>I'm looking for versions of the Bible that are as close as possible to
>the original texts, whatever that means.

>From what I can gather, the New Testament was compiled from various Greek,
>Latin, Hebrew and Aramaic texts that appeared during the first two
>centuries AD.

>Since I've been led to believe that Aramaic was the language spoken by
>Christ, it would seem that versions in this dialect ought to be as
>close to authentic as one could get, at least in the 4 Gospels, where
>his words are often directly quoted, yes?

Well, no.  If the originals were written in greek (as is generally believed
these days (Yiri excepted)), then an Aramaic version of the same would be a
translation.  The principal early versions (such as Sinaiticus) are in Greek.

>On the other hand, I do not know what languages Matthew, Mark, Luke and
>John actually spoke and wrote in. Perhaps they used a more standard
>dialect of ancient Hebrew.

[Clanking as the author dons his flame-proof cassock]
Several months ago, there was a quite violent argument over this question.  I
maintain that the greek versions we have are truly decendants of the
principle apostolic tradition.  They invariably quote Jesus speaking in
Aramaic, never Hebrew.  Unless you deny that they have any connection with
the apostles, it's hard from this to justify Jesus speaking Hebrew, or
Hebrew originals of the Gospels.

Yirmiyahu claimed that there were, in fact, Hebrew orginals, and that the
current texts all display various degrees of perversion from the hebrew
versions, to the end of the hellenization of the message.  I don't really
care to go through this whole thing again; in any case, even the texts
Yirmiyahu took as having any authority are in greek.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (04/16/85)

>I maintain that the greek versions we have are truly decendants of the
>principle apostolic tradition.  They invariably quote Jesus speaking in
>Aramaic, never Hebrew.  Unless you deny that they have any connection with
>the apostles, it's hard from this to justify Jesus speaking Hebrew, or
>Hebrew originals of the Gospels.
>
>Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

    I have never heard of greek versions of the new testament in which
    the quotes of Jesus are in Aramaic.

    Where/how could one locate such a marvelous text? From the American
    Bible society? And what is the name of such a version?

    Thanks

-michael

In article <187@spar.UUCP> ellis@max.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:

>>I maintain that the greek versions we have are truly decendants of the
>>principle apostolic tradition.  They invariably quote Jesus speaking in
>>Aramaic, never Hebrew.  Unless you deny that they have any connection with
>>the apostles, it's hard from this to justify Jesus speaking Hebrew, or
>>Hebrew originals of the Gospels.

>    I have never heard of greek versions of the new testament in which
>    the quotes of Jesus are in Aramaic.

>    Where/how could one locate such a marvelous text? From the American
>    Bible society? And what is the name of such a version?

Obviously I was a bit unclear.  I should have said that, when the greek
texts choose to quote Jesus IN A LANGUAGE OTHER THAN GREEK, they use aramaic.
An example which springs to mind is when Jesus says the first line of Psalm
27 on the cross (I believe it's in John).

Any reputable version will show this quite vividly.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe