[net.religion.christian] Some Information on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit

ptl@fluke.UUCP (Mike Andrews) (04/19/85)

Hi,

Some people have shown interest in getting information on the Baptism
of the Holy Spirit.  I can only speak from my own personal experiences.
So here goes ---

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit does exist today, as it did in the early
Church.  It is evidenced by those using the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
mentioned in I Corinthians 12-14, and by the fruits God has produced
through their use.  As with any tool God has given us to serve Him
with, it can be misused, abused, or even left to wither away like a
muscle that isn't exercised.  But it is only a tool He has graciously
given us.  Some people, both `Charismatic' and `non-Charismatic' focus
so much on the tools, that the garden isn't even looked after, let
alone looked at.  And God is doing a *Mighty* thing in His Garden.

The term Charismatic refers to being gifted.  We are all gifted by God,
Christian and non-Christian alike.  Whether we accept the Gifts or not,
He has them there for us.  The Baptism of the Holy Spirit can be looked
at as an outpouring of His Holy Spirit:  God's Holy Spirit working
directly through us to serve, glorify, and honor God, by bringing His
Love to others so they and we can share an eternity together with Him.

I've heard the Baptism of the Holy Spirit compared to someone who has
received all these beautifully wrapped boxes.  Inside are the Gifts we
received in Baptism.  As a Roman Catholic, I also believe that God
has a special purpose in the Sacrament of Confirmation - to pray God
fills me in a new, special way with His Holy Spirit, to empower me
with tools to work for Him.  The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is asking
God to help us open these beautiful packages, and properly use what's
inside.  He helps us open specific Gifts to be used in His time,
and He prepares us to use them properly.

It is a non-denominational Gift.  Makes sense - God's non-denominational.
God will and does give this *unimaginable* Gift(!!!) of the outpouring of
His Holy Spirit to any of His who ask Him for it.  And when you do,
expect Him to answer your prayer.  He answered mine, as well as the
prayers of lots of other fine people I know or know of.

Speaking in Tongues is real.  When I had my first experience with
Charismatics and the renewal movement back about 1971, speaking in
Tongues scared me off for a while.  The next 10 years to be more exact.
Then in 1980 I felt compelled to get together with other Christians more
than only for Mass on Sundays.  I ended up meeting some wonderful, truly
Loving people who happened to be in a Charismatic prayer group.

Being Baptised in the Holy Spirit doesn't make anyone better than someone
who isn't.  Being Christian doesn't make us better than non-Christians.
One of the most gifted people I know doesn't consider himself Charismatic.

So why be involved in the Charismatic renewal?  Because God is doing something
truly unimaginable with and for His people today.  He wants us
to experience Life the way He planned.  And He wants us to share His Eternal
Life with others using His Power, for His Glory.  So He's given us tools to do
it with.  The Baptism of the Holy Spirit isn't the only tool God has given
us.  Look at the Cursillo movement, Marriage Encounter (please keep my wife
and me in your prayers as we're making our ME weekend starting tonight),
Engaged Encounter, Bible camps, Christian summer camps, prayer groups.
Don't forget our own Churches that God has Blessed us (Gifted us) with.

God Bless us ALL,

Mike Andrews
--

     ***  Ezekiel 37:1-14  ***         ***   Ephesians 5:8-21  ***
                    *** Job 3:25 and Mark 5:36 ***

		   {decvax,ihnp4}!uw-beaver! \
			      {sun,allegra}!  >fluke!ptl
		   {ucbvax,hplabs}!lbl-csam! /

gkm@ho95b.UUCP (gkm) (04/23/85)

Just as in physical life some things are more necessary for good
health than others, so also are some things more necessary in our
spiritual lives than are other things.  As Paul says (see I Cor.3)
it is necessary that our lives be build upon the right foundation
(i.e. Jesus Christ), and that some of the works we do will be
lasting and others will be burned up.  Questions have been posed as
to the importance of the "baptism of the Holy Spirit".  The results
of this baptism are a Spirit empowered life to serve Jesus.
However, as Jesus himself said when his diciples returned to Him
after healing the sick and raising the dead, they should not rejoice
in these things, but rather that their names were written in heaven.
As Paul says in I Cor.14 we should follow after charity (ie LOVE),
but nonetheless desire spiritual gifts, especially that of prophesy.

Many christians take Pauls statement "...I had rather speak five
words with my understanding,..., than ten thousand words in a
tougue." to mean that speaking in tongues is not worthwhile.  He
elsewhere says that speaking is tougues is very worthwhile and
desires that they all speak in tongues.  My point here is that even
of the gifts of the Spirit some are more important than others.  The
fruit of the Spirit is however much more important than the gifts.
One fruit in particular is more important than all the gifts put
together, and that fruit is LOVE. (see I Cor 13)
The word baptism means to be immersed in or to be surrounded by.
Therefore the baptism of the Holy Spirit means that the Holy Spirit
is surrounding us and overflowing to others around us.  Every
Christian has the Holy Spirit dwelling with him.  The Christian is
sealed by and indwelt by the Holy Spirit.  He (the Holy Spirit) will
never leave the christian.  This indwelling is what is meant by
being born again or born from above.  It is what is meant by us
being partakers of the DIVINE NATURE, and us being children of God.
It is because of this gift of His Spirit that we have as a present
possession ETERNAL LIFE, the very LIFE of God.  I think it is
obvious that this internal indwelling is most important.  It is
necessary for the baptism of the Holy Spirit.  All christians should
seek God first in their lives and all these other things will
follow.

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (04/26/85)

As a youth I was much involved with Pentacostals and other fundamentalist
sects, and I always wondered why the original "speaking in tongues" was
understandable to the people spoken to, and "speaking in tongues", as
practiced today, seems not to be in any recognisable language, and is
not at all understandable.  Is there a reason for this?
--
Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (04/29/85)

In article <5217@fortune.UUCP> brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard brower) writes:
>As a youth I was much involved with Pentacostals and other fundamentalist
>sects, and I always wondered why the original "speaking in tongues" was
>understandable to the people spoken to, and "speaking in tongues", as
>practiced today, seems not to be in any recognisable language, and is
>not at all understandable.  Is there a reason for this?
>--
>Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
>{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

  Yes. For a complete answer to this and other Charasmatic issues,
  there is a great book by Dr. John MacArther Jr. I believe it is
  called, "The Charasmatics".