[net.religion.christian] Amplified Bible translation

melanie@cornell.UUCP (05/29/85)

From: melanie (Melanie Nesheim)

From SUNYUSOX@CORNELLA.BITNET Wed May 29 08:55:45 1985
From: SUNYUSOX@CORNELLA.BITNET
Date: 29 May 85 08:52 EDT
Subject:  Article for net.religion.christian
To: MELANIE@CRNLCS.BITNET

Hi there,

   Would you post this to net.religion.christian for me please?
Thanks!!

                                            Jen

Subject:  Bible Translations

I know this is a little delayed, but I was waiting to see if
someone else would mention it, since I can't post to the network
directly and don't want to bother my friend Melanie with it (she
posts things for me).

One translation that wasn't mentioned or commented on (unless I
missed it) is the Amplified Bible.  I have copies of the King
James, New International, American Standard, English (Good News
for Modern Man), and Amplified.  When I want to get down to the
nitty-gritty of a verse, I study it and follow references on it
in all the translations I have.

The Amplified is nice because it includes all the possible
translations of a word, instead of the author deciding which
one most closely fits the meaning of the sentence.  For example,
in John, when Jesus is talking about sending the "Comforter",
the Amplified includes "Counselor, Teacher, Helper, Advocate."
It would be difficult to choose just one of those words to
describe the role of the Holy Spirit since He is all those
things!

Any comments/additions/deletions?

                                        Jennifer Moore
                                               (via Melanie Grace Nesheim)