[net.religion.christian] Synoptic Gospels

In article <1074@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) writes:

>> Gad, the list of reasons one could give to account for the truncation of
>> Mark is LONG.  The author could have died before finishing it, or the end
>> was torn off, or ....  One can speculate endlessly, to little purpose.

>Ah, but, Charles, it wasn't just stuff left off of the tail end, there was
>stuff left off at all points!  Can you imagine writing the document and
>later saying "WHOOPS!  I forgot all about the fact that Jesus' mother was
>a virgin and the miracle of the virgin birth.  Let me go back and put that
>in...  AAARRRGH!!!"  I tend to doubt that he just forgot.  I would tend to
>think that he didn't put it in for a reason (didn't happen), and that later
>authors of later works DID put it in for another reason (to spruce up the
>story---the same way modern authors have to add a required amount of sex and
>violence to get their books published, these guys had to add a little miracle
>story to get people interested:  good words and deeds was NOT enough!).

How kind of you, Rich, to demonstrate my point about speculation.

Biblical scholars have long noted that Matthew and Luke largely contain the
text of Mark.  There is also other material shared between Matthew and Luke
which is not in Mark; the first modern scholars called this "Q". (I use
modern here in the sense of the trend of mainstream scholarship.) This
material consists almost entirely of teachings.  Depending on how
conservative you want to be, dates for Luke and Matthew range up to 80 CE;
it is clear however, that the events in Acts all take place before 60 CE.  A
stylistic quirk in part of Acts indicates that Luke was eyewitness to much
of what he tells.

Now the curious thing about the birth narratives is that they are widely
different, yet they fit together very well.  The read, in fact, as if two
people from varying perspectives wrote about the same event.  The fact that
Mark does not include them signifies nothing.  The point at which Mark
begins is the start of Jesus' ministry, which is a perfectly natural
starting point.  Again, one can speculate endlessly on why Mark chose to
start there instead of at the birth, but it's just idle speculation.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe