[net.religion.christian] "plain contradiction": let's try this again

hedrick@topaz.ARPA (Chuck Hedrick) (07/12/85)

In article <807@ihlpg.UUCP> jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) writes:
>It is not a plain contradiction in scripture, as shown by the words you
>chose to omit from the Luke quote.  Here it is in full (NASB)
>
>Luke 3:23
>"And when He began His ministry, Jesus Himself was about thirty years
>of age, being supposedly the son of Joseph, the son of Eli,"

Possibly the original note was not clear enough about what it was
claiming.  "Supposely" has no relevance.  Both Mt. and Lk.  give
geneologies for Joseph.  The contradiction is claimed to lie in the
fact that the two geneologies for Joseph are not the same.  Whether
Jesus is actually the son of Joseph or only supposedly so  is not
relevant to this point.  Both geneologies lead to Joseph.   The last
few generations are (in RSV):
  lk: Joseph, Heli, Matthat, Levi, Melchi, Jannai, Joseph,
	Mattathias, Amos, Nahum, Esli, Naggai, ...
  mt: Joseph, Jacob, Matthan, Eleazar, Eliud, Achim, Zadok, Azor,
	Eliakim, Abiud, Zerubbabel, Shealtiel, Jechoniah ...
They seem to diverge after David.  Mt. has the line go through
Solomon, whereas Lk. has it go through Nathan (another son of
David and Bathsheba, according to I Chron 3:5).