[net.religion.christian] The lineage of Jesus

In article <1278@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:

>> > Regarding the two genealogies given for the Lord, I'm supprised that
>> > it is not commonly known that they are for His forebears through His
>> > mother's and step-father's families.

>> It is amazing the lengths to which people will go to rationalize a
>> plain contradiction in scripture.  "...known that they are...?"
>> By whom?  Where is the evidence for this?  The words in scripture are
>> clear enough:

>> Matt 1:16 says: "And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary"
>> Luke 3:23 says: "Jesus...the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli..."

>...Judah the son of Jacob
>...Judah the son of Israel

>...Joshua, son of Nun
>...Oshua, son of Nun

>Reuel, the father-in-law of Moses...
>Jethro, the father-in-law of Moses...

These don't help.  In the first case, we are told that they are synonyms.
In the second, there is rather obviously a textual error involved.  As for
the third, who can say?

Besides, it's going to be pretty damn hard to apply this all the way back.
For one thing, there aren't the same numbers of names.  For another, in
2 Samuel 5:14, Nathan and Solomon are stated to be two different individuals.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

"You want me to make a donation to the Coast Guard Youth Auxiliary!"