[net.religion.christian] The Abiathar Question; some information about the Greek

hedrick@topaz.ARPA (Chuck Hedrick) (07/20/85)

In article <1585@akgua.UUCP>, rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) writes:
> which means "in the time of Abiathar the high priest".
> 	1) The wording can be understood in the vein of
> 	  "When President Reagan lived in Illinois....
> 	"epi" with the genitive simply means "in the time of"
> The episode did indeed happen "in the time of" Abiathar.  He was

I am not a Greek scholar, but I do have access to commentaries on the
Greek.  It is fairly clear that this interpretation is wrong.  The
initial translation on which the discussion is based is also wrong.
There are two possible phrases in Greek: /epi Abiathar archiereos/,
and /epi Abiathar tou archiereos/.  The first one means /in the time
when Abiathar was high priest/.  The second one means /in the time of
Abiathar the high priest/.  There is no issue about the meaning of
/epi/ + genitive.  Everyone agrees it means "in the time of".  The
issue is about /Abiathar archiereos/.  This is not the way one says
"High Priest Abiathar".  I.e. it is not parallel with President
Reagan.  That would be /Abiathar tou archiereos/ is similar.  The
problem is that the standard scholarly Greek text doesn't have the
/tou/.  Without it, archiereos is not a title.  So the translation is
in fact "when Abiathar was high priest".

However there are other ways out if you want to take them.  I quote
the following from C.E.B. Cranfield's commentary on Mark in the
Cambridge Greek Testament series.  It is almost identical to the
comments of Vincent Taylor in his "The Gospel According to St Mark",
2nd Edition:

			------------------

/epi Abiathar archiereos/ must mean 'when Abiathar was High Priest'.
In I Sam xxi 'the priest' is Ahimelech.  Abiathar was that one of
Ahimelech's sons who escaped the massacre by Doeg the Edomite.  A C
/Th/ and a good many other MSS. insert /tou/ before /archiereos/.  The
phrase then means 'in the days of Abiathar the High Priest', which
need not imply that he was actually High Priest at the time.  The
variant is probably due to a sense of the historical difficulty.  The
fact that D W it sy^s omit the phrase altogether -- as do Mt. and Lk.
-- makes the suggestion that the whole phrase is a misguided gloss not
unreasonable.  But it is perhaps more likely that Jesus himself or
possibly Mark mentioned Abiathar as the High Priest particularly
associated with David, forgetting that at the time of the incident he
was not yet High Priest.  It may be that there is some confusion
between Ahimelech and Abiathar in the O.T.  itself -- cf. I Sam. xxii.
20 with II Sam. viii. 17, I Chr. xviii. 16, xxiv. 6.

			------------------

I should note that neither TEV nor RSV show any textual uncertainties
by giving an alternative in the margin.  I don't have any other texts
in my office.

Here are the passages he mentioned in the O.T. (TEV):

I Sam. 22:20:  "But Abiathar, one of Ahimelech's sons, escaped,
and went and joined David."

II Sam. 8:17: "Zadok son of Ahitub and Ahimelech son of Abiathar were
priests; ..."

I Chr. 18:16: "Zadok son of Ahitub and Ahimelech son of Abiathar were
priests; ..."

I Chr. 24:6: "... Ahimelech son of Abiathar, ..."