[net.religion.christian] Smokescreens etc.

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (07/23/85)

[The discussion began in this newsgroup and should be continued there.]

In article <397@utastro.UUCP> padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) writes:

>>> Thus, all the talk about objectivity, examination of presuppositions
>>> clung to in order to bolster a preconceived desired conclusion,
>>> wishful thinking, etc., etc. (many of you as well can no doubt mimic
>>> the usual phrases), is a complete smokescreen.
>
>>Why? This would be correct if Rich maintained that objectivity was the
>>sole arbitrator, in all cases. I got the impression that his view point
>>was basically that objective claims demand objective evidence. This
>>does not exclude subjective evidence from being useful in cases where
>>the claim is only presented as being subjective.
>
>>I note with interest that the correctness of his statement, in itself,
>>has not been challanged.
>
>Perhaps so, but, by the same token, he is not in a position to demand
>objective evidence on the part of others, anyway.

You have not shown this to be the case.

>..  And besides, he IS making
>an objective statement: that the morality of "Non-interference" is an
>absolute moral imperative.  It's not that I necessarily agree with him
>(although, since I subscribe to a particular form of situational ethics, I
>do disagree); it's that, if you're going to base a moral absolute on Human
>Nature, you need some justification, some psychological theory that gets you
>from human nature to this principle.  Rich hasn't shown any.

The statement may be objective. In being asked to justify "non-interference"
the subjective element "that the individual benefits" is introduced.
Rich was explicitly responding to that, subjective, aspect.

The smokescreen charge does not hold.

The rest is a digression from the criticism directed at him, and is
discussed elsewhere.

Padraig Houlahan.