[net.religion.christian] Jimmy Swaggart & Capitalism - reply to Gary B.

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (07/18/85)

In a recent article, Gary Bucholz took a shot at
Jimmy Swaggart on his position that the Bible supports
Capitalism.  While I have my differences with Brother
Swaggart, this is not one of them - if you allow the
following commonly held view of Capitalism.

Capitalism as understood by many Americans is the system
where you basically are allowed to economically prosper by
your own initiative and investment.  This may not be the correct
understanding of the full ramifications of Corporate
Capitalism but I think that Individual Capitalism
is what is understood.

If you allow this definition, then Jimmy Swaggart is basically
correct.  The Bible praises the prosperous, diligent worker
or investor who brings back a gain on their own or their
master's "capital".

The Book of Proverbs is "eat up"  with examples so numerous that
I just recommend the whole book as evidence.  Note especially
the examples used in describing the Capable Wife in Chapter 31.

The New Testament's most striking Stewardship Capitalism Statement is
probably the Parable of the Talents.  I don't think you can completely
spiritualize this teaching into spiritual talents.  Jesus just talked
too much about money and material things to dismiss the connection.

However, there is definitely no support in the Book that I can see
for the Land Raping, Robber Baron stereotype of capitalism and
certainly the Book of Acts shows  us the early church as
communal living at its best.

Finally, I think that capitalism with a conscience is the best way
to help the poor.  People who prosper according to God's principles
willingly sharing with those in need AND teaching them the skills
they need for self-support + prosperity so THEY can help others -
that's the ideal I think we should shoot for !!

"I've got so much honey, the bees envy me"
David Ruffin and the Temptations - My Girl

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) (07/22/85)

> Finally, I think that capitalism with a conscience is the best way
> to help the poor.  People who prosper according to God's principles
> willingly sharing with those in need AND teaching them the skills
> they need for self-support + prosperity so THEY can help others -
> that's the ideal I think we should shoot for !!
>
> Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

Such a statement is found in the Book of Mormon, paraphrasing (I don't
have my scriptures at work), "Christ's believers will first seek after
Him, *then* for the riches of the world.  And WHY will they seek for
riches??  To help those in need.'  The problem is to not get totally
caught up in the seeking for riches (even if a good portion is used
for this purpose) that other things get neglected.
--

                     Back on the freeway, which is already in progress,
		     Allen Grabert (...ittatc!bunker!allen)

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (07/30/85)

In article <1586@akgua.UUCP> rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) writes:

>In a recent article, Gary Bucholz took a shot at
>Jimmy Swaggart on his position that the Bible supports
>Capitalism.  While I have my differences with Brother
>Swaggart, this is not one of them - if you allow the
>following commonly held view of Capitalism.
>
>Capitalism as understood by many Americans is the system
>where you basically are allowed to economically prosper by
>your own initiative and investment.  This may not be the correct
>understanding of the full ramifications of Corporate
>Capitalism but I think that Individual Capitalism
>is what is understood.
>
>If you allow this definition, then Jimmy Swaggart is basically
>correct.  The Bible praises the prosperous, diligent worker
>or investor who brings back a gain on their own or their
>master's "capital".
>Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

Just to throw a spanner into this one ...

In the book of Acts you will note that the early church "held all things
in common" and this is an early and clear support of communism.

(NO, not Marxism, they're NOT the same.)

So what does it mean for us to grab at parts of scripture and use
them as justification for what we already want to do?

Hutch