[net.religion.christian] Why Jesus' genealogy is important

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (07/25/85)

> It's also not at all clear why it's
> really very important to establish that both lineages are correct (or
> indeed, that either is correct).
>
> Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

The biblical point is that Jesus is indeed a descendant of David, and therefore
legally entitled to David's throne. (Cf. many OT prophecies about a
descendant of David with an eternal throne.)
As I understand it, Joseph's (Jesus' "legal" father) genealogy is given to
show Jesus' legal claim to the throne (as succession was, natch, through the
father.)  Mary's genealogy (*I think I'm gonna get it!*) is included to
show his true, physical claim through her.
--
					AMBAR
                    	{the known universe}!ihnp4!ihlpg!jeand

"To those who love it is given to hear
 Music too high for the human ear." 	--Bruce Cockburn

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Yakim Martillo) (07/29/85)

If establishing Jesus'  claim to the  throne of David  was  important,
and  if  this claim  was   so important, why    did Pilate,  have  rex
iudaeorum (Herod the Great's title in Latin) rather than rex  israelis
(David's title in Latin) inscribed on the cross of execution (I may
have misunderstood the account and the actual inscription may have
been in Greek but the actual language is not important)?

In article <951@ihlpg.UUCP> jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) writes:

>> It's also not at all clear why it's
>> really very important to establish that both lineages are correct (or
>> indeed, that either is correct).

>The biblical point is that Jesus is indeed a descendant of David, and
>therefore legally entitled to David's throne. (Cf. many OT prophecies
>about a descendant of David with an eternal throne.)
>As I understand it, Joseph's (Jesus' "legal" father) genealogy is given to
>show Jesus' legal claim to the throne (as succession was, natch, through the
>father.)  Mary's genealogy (*I think I'm gonna get it!*) is included to
>show his true, physical claim through her.

One more time: no genealogy is given for Mary!  What we have are two
contradictory lineages for Joseph.  No more than one of them is correct,
unless you apply some heavy rationalization.  Now my point is NOT to denegrate
Jesus' descent (through Joseph) from David; my point is that we are presented
with an unresolvable dilemma whose resolution ought not to have much effect
upon one's faith.  Is there really anyone out there who is going to believe
or not believe because Luke has the wrong lineage?  (I would also point out
that Luke asserts Joseph's descent elsewhere.)  If one accepts that these
lineages are indicative of the real one, and doesn't quibble over the exact
details, I think the relative importance of the passages is better served.

Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

  "By this rose we may well see, there is one God in persons three."

glenn@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Glenn C. Scott) (08/01/85)

> <295@mit-athena.UUCP> martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Yakim Martillo)
> If establishing Jesus'  claim to the  throne of David  was  important,
> and  if  this claim  was   so important, why    did Pilate,  have  rex
> iudaeorum (Herod the Great's title in Latin) rather than rex  israelis
> (David's title in Latin) inscribed on the cross of execution (I may
> have misunderstood the account and the actual inscription may have
> been in Greek but the actual language is not important)?

  Where do you find that Pilate had Herod the Great's title inscribed on the
cross ?

  According to John 19:19-20 the inscription said: "JESUS THE NAZARENE, THE
KING OF THE JEWS" and is was written in Hebrew, Latin and Greek.

Glenn