[net.religion.christian] reply to Chuck Hedrick - Ice-cream or Theology... a tough decision

gary@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (gary w buchholz) (08/08/85)

>Some of your comments suggest that the Christian tradition is somehow
>separable from Christ and his Church, and that its inheritors are
>elsewhere.  I'm not quite sure what you could mean by that.  In my
>view, anything that finds an ultimate source of value outside of God
>and his revelation in Christ, is idolatry and has no claim to the term
>Christian.  Christianity has now survived enough changes in culture,
>both in ancient and modern times, that I think this judgement can be
>seen as historical as well as ideological.  That is, I think we have
>transported Christianity to enough different cultures that it can be
>clear that its essense in not cultural.

I have to answer your posting in piecemeal fashion as I am somewhat
cramped for time.  I will address what I consider the most important
issue first, namely, continuity and inheritance of the Christian
theological tradition, and on this you and I seem to have something of
a disagreement.

To get right to the point and in all honesty I will say that my
criticism of your position and my criticism of everyone who walks
through the doors of a church on Sunday is that they have failed
(utterly in the latter case) to appropriate for themselves the
Christian theological tradition post-Reformation.

I am well aware that "Christianity" in its popular form (the masses of
believers) takes its primary articulation NOT in intellectual
categories but rather, is embedded in social matrices in the
worshiping, praying and preaching believing community.

Insofar as Christianity makes real historical claims, and insofar as
Christianity makes statements regarding the ultimate cosmological and
physical order of the cosmos, then, I submit that its ultimate
validation lies in interdisciplinary discussion with those disciplines
that claim for themselves expertise in these areas of inquiry.

On the other hand I would quickly point out that Man is condemned to
live in a meaningful world and Christianity as a "map" on an utterly
meaningless natural order serves as a "useful fiction" for those who
are able to be convinced of its intellectual integrity.

The exqusite beauty of the situation is that it is the good fortune for
"popular religion(Christianity)" that the primary mediation of
Christianity from community to individual and from generation to
generation is social structures (family) and NOT the tradition in its
intellectual form.

One might pause at this point to reflect on the real empirical events
that surround a "conversion" to Christianity.  One might pause at this
point to reflect on the importance of family as regards the future
religious association of the children.  If your son or daughter is the
same religious "persuasion" as you the parent then exactly how has this
happened ?  What is the mechanism of transmission ?

As an intellectual system seeking interdisciplinary validation
Christianity is an utter failure in the modern world.  But, at the
same time, Christianity is an unparalleled success as regards solving
the ontological problem of human being for those members of society who
either never bring Christianity to the interdisciplinary court or who
are so steeped in Christian "logic" that they are able "consume the
whole world" by means of it.

A few remarks from George Lindbeck are apropros on this latter point.

  "For those who are steeped in them {authoritative texts}, no world
   is more real then the ones they *create*.  A Scriptural world is
   thus able to absorb the universe.  It supplies the interpretive
   framework within which believers seek to live their lives and
   understand reality.  This happens quite apart from formal
   theories"

  "Scripture creates its own domain of meaning ... and the task of
   interpretation is to extend this over the whole of reality."

  "Intratextual theology redescribes reality within the scriptural
   framework rather than translating the Scripture  into extra-
   scriptural categories.  It is the text, so to speak, which absorbs
   the world, rather than world the text."

(catch this...  * = emphasis mine)

  "The normative or literal meaning <of the Bible> must be consistent
   with the kind of text it is taken to be *by the community* for which
   it is important.  The meaning must not be.. something the text
   reveals, discloses,.. or suggests to those with *extraneous
   metaphysical <philosophical>...or historical .. interests*.  It must
   rather be what the text says in terms of the communal language of
   which the text is an instantiation."

  "Scholarly nontheologians who want to understand religion are concerned
   with how religions *work* for their adherents, not with their
   credibility."

  "In short, intelligibility comes from skill, not theory, and
   credibility comes from good performance, not adherence to
   independently formulated criteria."

Lindbeck (theologian at Yale) knows that Christianity hasn't a chance
at intellectual integrity in the interdisciplinary matrix of the modern
world.  Therefore, his (Postliberal) theology is to displace
Christianity back into the social matrix from which it was born, away
from the "extraneous interests of philosophy and historiography" such
that it will appear (to the believer) as credible and will continue to
function as "useful fiction" serving the necessary ontological needs of
the believer.

Thats a slick game.  I'm sure Lindbecks future seminary of Postliberal
theology will supply a heavy education in classical rhetoric such that
Post liberal ministers will have the requsite "skill" and "good
performance" to hawk a religion that they don't believe for the
benefit(?) of those not intellectually inclined.

(Not to get too far off the subject but the cruncher of Lindbecks book
is that to arrive at what he calls Postliberal theology Lindbeck uses
an avowedly non-religious paradigm or religion invoking the latest
advances in semiotics, hermeneutics and language analysis (ala Chomsky,
Wittgenstein and Austin) which are at the antipode and are the
antithesis of the system he sets out *for* the believer.  Lindbeck
wishes that Scripture "interpret the whole world" for the believer but
he does not wish that for himself.  Rather, "Scripture" for Lindbeck in
practice is in fact the whole edifice of the modern interdisciplinary
intellectual matrix (without which his analysis and theology is
impossible) which according to Lindbecks system the believer should
have no part of.  Its obviously a 2 part theology - a theology for you
(the believer) and a theology for me (the privleged theologian -
Lindbeck).  If Lindbeck really believes that Christian Scripture can
interpret the whole world then I would ask him where in Christian
Scripture he finds his non-theological "cultural linguistic" model that
serves as *the* paradigm for his understanding of religion and the
primary language for the articulation and explication of his
Postliberal theology)

So much for irony and digression - back to the subject.  The dilemma
between intellectual integrity and traditional confession is as old as
the Enlightenment.  So begins the era of what Van A. Harvey called
"alienated theology" and the advent of the Christian theologian as the
"unhappy lover" of Christian theology.  The case is exemplified by D. F.
Strauss and the 19th century quest for the historical Jesus.

In the "concluding dissertation" at the end of The Life of Jesus
Critically Examined published in 1835 by Strauss (of which Schweitzer
wrote "... is one of the most perfect things in the whole range of
learned literature.") there is a discussion of the dilemma posed by the
results of the work in that they are antithetical to orthodox Christian
beliefs.  Strauss discusses 4 options.  Of the last option (preaching
for the sole purpose of edification for believers of something the
preacher himself does not believe) Strauss writes this:

  "...- the danger is incurred that the community may discover the
   difference, and the preacher appear to it, and consequently to
   himself, a hypocrite....  In this difficulty, the theologian may find
   himself either directly to state his opinions, and attempt to
   elevate the people to his ideas: or, since this attempt must
   necessarily fail, carefully adapt himself to the conception of the
   community; or, lastly, since, even on this plan, he may easily
   betray himself, in the end to leave the ministerial profession."

Strauss goes on to remark that his age (1835) has reached no firm
decision on what to do regarding the collision between "orthodox
belief" and the antithetical results of critical inquiry.  But Strauss
is confident that the criticism is a necessary development of Christian
theology.

  "But this collision ... is necessarily introduced by the progress of
   time and the development of Christian theology; it surprises and
   masters the individual, without his being able to guard himself
   from it."

How does one guard against the "critical results" ?

  "... he can do this with slight labour, if he abstain from study or
  thought, or, if not from these from freedom of speech and writing.  Of
  such there are already enough in our day, and there will be no need to
  make continual additions to their number through the calumnination of
  those who expressed themselves in the spirit of advanced science."

Strauss is right when he says that the process of doing theology and
its critical results are something that lays hold you rather than you
laying hold of it.  Chuck, here is the difference between you and
me.  I am willing to go with the (theological) tradition while you are
not.  And in this sense I may accuse you of the same idolatry and
ideology that you accuse me of.  That is, your ideology is the
unfinished theology of the 16th century Reformation with the emphasis
on the Bible (sola scriptura), on Christ (Luthers canon within a
canon) and the role of God (some obsolete Western metaphysics).

If you are one of those "social Christians" then I have no quarrel with
you as there is no common ground for dispute.  On the other hand, if
you bring your Christianity to the interdisciplinary court in 1985
then my response is that you come with an instantiation of theology
that is some 150 years out of date.

The collision between honest investigation and "orthodox" belief is
unavoidable.  Strauss concludes his massive critical work on the life
of Jesus with this.

  "But there are also few, who, notwithstanding such attacks, freely
   declare what can no longer be concealed - and time will show whether
   by the one party or the other, the Church, Mankind, and Truth are
   best served."   (p. 784)

In my mind, Lindbecks response to the dilemma posed by the Enlightenment
tradition is unacceptable - it is simply not honest.  The response by
confessionalism is also inadequate: as regards its intellectual form
(such as confessional Lutheranism it simply does not take the modern
world seriously and is overtly ideological to the reformation; as
regards its social form (the church as instantiated in "ice-cream
social" / popular Christianity) it fails all tests and need not even be
bothered with.

The only viable option for theology today, given that literal 1st
century Christianity makes historical and philosophical claims about
reality as such (ontic reality and not ontological reality) is to
continue the critical tradition in interdisciplinary conversation with
those disciplines that claim expertise in those areas of concern.

Anything less than this is neither honest nor appropriate for the modern
world, even less is it in continuity with the historic Christian
theological tradition.

This is not my speculation as to "where" the historic Christian
tradition might be in the future.  Rather, it is simply a description
of where it is now, as practiced, at the cutting edge of theology in
the academy.

I quote again Thomas J.J. Altizers introduction to Mark Taylors book
Deconstructing Theology published by Scholars Press in the AAR Studies
in Religion series.

 "Thus the project of Deconstructing Theology is not one of actual or
   literal deconstruction, for that has long since occurred, but rather
   one of seeking the renewal or rebirth of theology by way of a passage
   through the end or death of the primal ground of the Western
   theoretical and theological tradition.  This is just the point at
   which theological thinking is now being reborn, even if reborn in
   a non-theological form, which is to say a form  of thinking that
   bears no manifest sign of the presence of theology.....
   ... We have long since learned that there is no hope of a modern
   Church theology... and the time has arrived for a renewed modern
   Protestant or post-ecclesiastical theology, a theology fully situated
   in the world or worlds of modernity..... wherein theology is free of
   the Church, and thereby free of the very power and ground which
   theological thinking itself negated in realizing its modern epiphany.
   ...it is no longer possible to return... decisively makes manifest
   the impossibility of returning to the Bible or to a 'biblical'
   revelation.

In conclusion, the social instantiation of popular Christianity is
fine - it is a good solution to the ontological problems of those who
can be convinced of its truth (by social means/conventions) and who do
not or can not pose the intellectual question.  But some cannot help
being drawn to the intellectual problems given that Christianity in its
literal form makes claims about the ultimate structure of reality.  And
it is here in this latter forum of interdisciplinary study and inquiry
that Christianity meets its ultimate demise as an authority in these
matters.

Christianity will survive but only in popular form in church backyards
at ice-cream socials and rummage sales - in short, in purely social
forms and contexts.  The historic theological tradition is elsewhere
wanting nothing to do with ice-cream or used clothes.  To "us" the
former is "heresy", worse, it is apathy, and still worse it is a
denial, betrayal and noncommitment to the historic Christian tradition
post-Reformation.  Secular theologians in the modern world are the true
inheritors of historic Christian theological tradition.

So Chuck, do you prefer ice-cream to theology ?

  Gary (grudgingly apologizing for my (earned) arrogance)