[net.religion.christian] Is General Goodness just a moral principle?

In article <360@utastro.UUCP> padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) writes:

>> >It is consistent to maintain a view point which accords protection to
>> >members of society on the basis of the increased stability and comfort
>> >resulting for the group as a whole. This approach does not require
>> >absolute moralistic criteria.

>> The hell it doesn't.  You've simply transferred moral authority somewhere
>> else, in this case to impart "rightness" to societal or group stability and
>> comfort.

>I don't understand this. The fact that "moral authority" has been transferred
>in now way proves that it is absolute. The fact that it could be transferred
>could be taken as evidence that it is not absolute.

Sure it's absolute.  you've elevated "increased stability and comfort for the
group as a whole" to an absolute principle.

>> ...Why should it matter?  Why should I care about improving society?

>From my perspective, you should care since you would be benefitting
>directly from any improvements. It does not require an absolute
>"moral authority" to justify this.

But that's just the point.  If I can see a way to improve my own position
EVEN MORE, at the expense of others, why should I not take it?  Mutual gain
must be a goal that everyone should have, for that criticism to have merit--
unless there is some absolute principle backing it up.

>> It should be clear that there still are moral principles here, but (as best
>> I can ascertain) they derive out of some notion of human nature.  Now,
>> perhaps you can make an argument on that foundation, but you'll need some
>> empirical evidence, and even then you'll need a defense as to why this
>> supposed human nature should be catered to.

>I'm not sure what is meant by "human nature" here. It is sufficient to
>say that from my perspective, any rule of society that prevents someone
>from hurting others is one that I approve of, since it will protect
>me from violence, or at least try to dissuade someone from attempting
>to harm me. One doesn't need a very sophisticated model of human nature
>to understand this. Therefore there is no need for me to provide you
>with any model, or a defense as to why it should be catered to, over
>and above what has already been said.

I didn't say that there had a complicated model.  But you can't just state
that the mutual good of society as a universal priniciple without some
backing, and if you are going to abandon that, and take up pure relativism,
then there's no reason why anyone should listen to you.

>> I've yet to see an atheistic exposition of morality which deals effectively
>> with the problem of why you should listen to some agregation of feelings
>> which we will call shared human nature, instead oneself.

>I don't see where your problem is. It is called democracy.

Democracy is a political system.  In the form that we practice it, it is
based upon the supposition of certain rights and certain notions about human
nature.  It is somewhat empirical, in the sense that we can change what
doesn't work out.  But it is not an ethical or moral system.  Especially,
there are certain tests for moral systems which any sort of majority rule
voting doesn't pass.

>> ... And besides, you
>> must also deal with the existentialist challenge: is there really any
>> essential human nature?

>Perhaps, but that is a separate issue.

No, it is central.  If you take a hard core existentialist position and
assert that there is no discoverable shared human nature, then you can't
appeal to any innate rights or characteristics.  Again, you trap moral
systems in pure relativism.  THere is then every reason to expect that, used
by another person, your moral system is WRONG.

Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (07/17/85)

> >> The hell it doesn't.  You've simply transferred moral authority somewhere
> >> else, in this case to impart "rightness" to societal or group stability and
> >> comfort.
>
> >I don't understand this. The fact that "moral authority" has been transferred
> >in now way proves that it is absolute. The fact that it could be transferred
> >could be taken as evidence that it is not absolute.
>
> Sure it's absolute.  you've elevated "increased stability and comfort for the
> group as a whole" to an absolute principle.

It is a guiding principle for me, and is not absolute since society will
only adopt such a principle by concensus. Depending on the mood, or type
of society, the guiding principles will be different. Societies differ
as to what constitutes acceptable behaviour on the part of their members,
and on the rights to be accorded to them as individuals. So the moral
authority is not absolute.

It seems that we differ in the use of the word "absolute". I use it in the
context of "invariant", while you seem to be using it in the sense of
"over-riding/monolithic".

> >> ...Why should it matter?  Why should I care about improving society?
>
> >From my perspective, you should care since you would be benefitting
> >directly from any improvements. It does not require an absolute
> >"moral authority" to justify this.
>
> But that's just the point.  If I can see a way to improve my own position
> EVEN MORE, at the expense of others, why should I not take it?  Mutual gain
> must be a goal that everyone should have, for that criticism to have merit--
> unless there is some absolute principle backing it up.

Simply because others would be just as entitled to do the same to you.

> >> It should be clear that there still are moral principles here, but (as best
> >> I can ascertain) they derive out of some notion of human nature.  Now,
> >> perhaps you can make an argument on that foundation, but you'll need some
> >> empirical evidence, and even then you'll need a defense as to why this
> >> supposed human nature should be catered to.
>
> >I'm not sure what is meant by "human nature" here. It is sufficient to
> >say that from my perspective, any rule of society that prevents someone
> >from hurting others is one that I approve of, since it will protect
> >me from violence, or at least try to dissuade someone from attempting
> >to harm me. One doesn't need a very sophisticated model of human nature
> >to understand this. Therefore there is no need for me to provide you
> >with any model, or a defense as to why it should be catered to, over
> >and above what has already been said.
>
> I didn't say that there had a complicated model.  But you can't just state
> that the mutual good of society as a universal priniciple without some
> backing, and if you are going to abandon that, and take up pure relativism,
> then there's no reason why anyone should listen to you.

I defended "mutual good" on a pragmatic basis, and didn't abandon it. To say,
or imply otherwise, is disingenuous. Furthermore, it is not at all clear
that the pragmatically based "mutual good" principle is inconsistent with
relativism, or that you are competent to decide who should listen to what.

> >> I've yet to see an atheistic exposition of morality which deals effectively
> >> with the problem of why you should listen to some agregation of feelings
> >> which we will call shared human nature, instead oneself.
>
> >I don't see where your problem is. It is called democracy.
>
> Democracy is a political system.  In the form that we practice it, it is
> based upon the supposition of certain rights and certain notions about human
> nature.  It is somewhat empirical, in the sense that we can change what
> doesn't work out.  But it is not an ethical or moral system.  Especially,
> there are certain tests for moral systems which any sort of majority rule
> voting doesn't pass.

You asked why should one listen to the agregation of feelings.

Since I do not claim to have absolute truth, I do not try to force it
upon others. I expect to be treated similarly by other members of society,
therefore I see democracies and pluralistic societies as being the optimum
solution. Yes this is political, but so what? The reason that society
listens to the agregation of feelings is to reach some concensus as to
which guiding principles to adopt.

> >> ... And besides, you
> >> must also deal with the existentialist challenge: is there really any
> >> essential human nature?
>
> >Perhaps, but that is a separate issue.
>
> No, it is central.  If you take a hard core existentialist position and
> assert that there is no discoverable shared human nature, then you can't
> appeal to any innate rights or characteristics.  Again, you trap moral
> systems in pure relativism.  THere is then every reason to expect that, used
> by another person, your moral system is WRONG.
>
> Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

You have not defined "human nature", not to mention "shared human nature",
or even demonstrated whether or not such a beast exists.
I don't know what you mean by "innate rights or characteristics".
When I reach the conclusion that I want to live, and that I don't want
to be the object of some violent act, then on that basis I am happy
to give up any right to do violent acts to others, if such a right
is denied others also. Esoteric discussions as to whether or not there is
really any essential human nature are fine, but I am not prepared to
kill someone on the basis of the discussion's outcome. This does
not mean that I am a hypocrite (I hope), but that I do not place
such a degree of trust in our ability to philosophize, and determine
truths, that I am willing to take extreme actions as a result of
reaching extreme conclusions.

Padraig Houlahan.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/18/85)

>>>The hell it doesn't.  You've simply transferred moral authority somewhere
>>>else, in this case to impart "rightness" to societal or group stability and
>>>comfort.

>>I don't understand this. The fact that "moral authority" has been transferred
>>in now way proves that it is absolute. The fact that it could be transferred
>>could be taken as evidence that it is not absolute.  [HOULAHAN]

> Sure it's absolute.  you've elevated "increased stability and comfort for the
> group as a whole" to an absolute principle. [WINGATE]

Are you claiming that such a principle is not an obvious goal of a group?
Would you rather the group had self-annihilation as a principle/goal?

>>>...Why should it matter?  Why should I care about improving society?

>>From my perspective, you should care since you would be benefitting
>>directly from any improvements. It does not require an absolute
>>"moral authority" to justify this.

> But that's just the point.  If I can see a way to improve my own position
> EVEN MORE, at the expense of others, why should I not take it?  Mutual gain
> must be a goal that everyone should have, for that criticism to have merit--
> unless there is some absolute principle backing it up.

How about the principle that you gain more for a longer period of time by
cooperation with others than by "improving you position at the expense of
others", incurring their wrath and prompting any person or group of persons
to act against you (through violence, revenge, blockade, etc.)  It is in
your interest to cooperate with those around you.  Something people are very
slow to learn, individually, as nationalities, and as a planet.

>>>It should be clear that there still are moral principles here, but (as best
>>>I can ascertain) they derive out of some notion of human nature.  Now,
>>>perhaps you can make an argument on that foundation, but you'll need some
>>>empirical evidence, and even then you'll need a defense as to why this
>>>supposed human nature should be catered to.

>>I'm not sure what is meant by "human nature" here. It is sufficient to
>>say that from my perspective, any rule of society that prevents someone
>>from hurting others is one that I approve of, since it will protect
>>me from violence, or at least try to dissuade someone from attempting
>>to harm me. One doesn't need a very sophisticated model of human nature
>>to understand this. Therefore there is no need for me to provide you
>>with any model, or a defense as to why it should be catered to, over
>>and above what has already been said.

> I didn't say that there had a complicated model.  But you can't just state
> that the mutual good of society as a universal priniciple without some
> backing, and if you are going to abandon that, and take up pure relativism,
> then there's no reason why anyone should listen to you.

I thought I just gave such a reason.  Some people (apparently) won't accept
what's logically clearly in their own best interests (like mutual cooperation)
unless a parent/authority figure tells them they have to.  That's why they
invent gods.

>>>I've yet to see an atheistic exposition of morality which deals effectively
>>>with the problem of why you should listen to some agregation of feelings
>>>which we will call shared human nature, instead oneself.

>>I don't see where your problem is. It is called democracy.

> Democracy is a political system.  In the form that we practice it, it is
> based upon the supposition of certain rights and certain notions about human
> nature.  It is somewhat empirical, in the sense that we can change what
> doesn't work out.  But it is not an ethical or moral system.  Especially,
> there are certain tests for moral systems which any sort of majority rule
> voting doesn't pass.

As a "system" (we're not talking about the individual laws under it), it
performs exactly the function I describe above.  "I am a person, I could
take everything from my neighbor, but by the same token he/she could take
everything from me.  Perhaps to work out a mutually agreeable arrangement
of our rights and the minimal limits to those rights that allow non-
interference, we can not only live peacefully, but garnish some benefits
out of the cooperation as well!!  What a great idea!"  To which some people
seem to feel the need to respond: "NAAH!  This will only work if we get a god
to enforce the arrangement, therefore...

>>>... And besides, you
>>>must also deal with the existentialist challenge: is there really any
>>>essential human nature?

>>Perhaps, but that is a separate issue.

> No, it is central.  If you take a hard core existentialist position and
> assert that there is no discoverable shared human nature, then you can't
> appeal to any innate rights or characteristics.  Again, you trap moral
> systems in pure relativism.  THere is then every reason to expect that, used
> by another person, your moral system is WRONG.

On the contrary, this system may be "pure relativism", but it is clearly
a system that offers maximal rights, maximal benefits, and minimal constraints
on people, which to me sounds quote optimal for all involved.  So-called
"human nature" indeed has nothing to do with this argument.
--
Life is complex.  It has real and imaginary parts.
					Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (07/20/85)

(Rich Rosen's article rearranged slightly)

> How about the principle that you gain more for a longer period of time by
> cooperation with others than by "improving you position at the expense of
> others", incurring their wrath and prompting any person or group of persons
> to act against you (through violence, revenge, blockade, etc.)  It is in
> your interest to cooperate with those around you.

I will look from a different perspective at the question wherewith I started
this discussion:  If you are nothing but matter, how can there be a "you" in
whose interest cooperation is?  Your model of human nature (100% biochemistry)
seems inconsistent with the fact that we are having this discussion at all --
or how do you think we happen to be alive, conscious, and intelligent?  The
idea that these somehow came/come out of inanimate matter (which you implicitly
ASS-U-ME) is infinitely more implausible -- indeed, preposterous -- than the
idea that they were put there by a Designer.  Of course this isn't net.origins;
but it does seem that your morality is at variance with your assumptions.

> Some people (apparently) won't accept what's logically clearly in their own
> best interests (like mutual cooperation) unless a parent/authority figure
> tells them they have to.  That's why they invent gods.

As I've implied before, some people have, as a result of their past hurts, an
idea of what seems to be in their own best interests which may be at variance
with what is actually in their best interests.  What they need is not just
logic, but healing.  Or, sometimes they may know what is in their best
interests -- what they really want to do -- but these same hurts make them
too fearful to do it, too fearful that the hurts will be repeated.  The Bible
was written, among other things, to give us guidelines as to what is actually
in our best interests, though we may not have discovered it yet.  God Himself
is constantly at work healing us so that we lose our false wants and find out
what we really want, then have the courage to go for it.  But until this
healing is completed (or at least well along), those guidelines are there so
that we don't mess ourselves up worse than we already are.

Example:  This group had a discussion a while back on fornication.  Many
fundamentalists look upon this as one of the star sins, i.e. something which
renders those who commit it liable to judgment and ostracism.  But in actual
fact, the reason not to do it is that it is a suboptimal satisfaction of a
want -- the want for total (not just physical) intimacy with a MOTOS, which
can't be achieved very well outside of marriage.  Paul puts it even more
strongly when he comments that someone who does indulge "sins against his
own body" -- i.e. hurts himself.

This is why there exists the Bible and the Church (not any organized church,
but the whole body of believers) -- to help people find out what is in their
own best interests and then be enabled to do that; to help thirsty people
obtain a drink of "living water" -- and indeed, to pour this love and joy
onto those around, like a river.  Both Jesus and Paul talked a fair amount
about joy; Jesus specifically told His disciples (John 16:23,24 NIV), "...my
Father will give you whatever you ask in my name....  Ask and you will
receive, AND YOUR JOY WILL BE COMPLETE."  (my emphasis)

In other words, Rich, you and I are both striving toward the same goal --
becoming the fullest and best persons we can be.  No matter how many preach
the Law, that's not what Christ and Christianity are about (as Paul wrote
rather strongly in Galatians).  A lot of the pain that I dumped on the net
last winter was from the fact that my mind knew many of the good things I have
been saying in this article, but I could not manage to get them internalized.
Now, I'm starting to internalize them and experience their reality in my life.
It is my contention that starting from the basis that one is loved and accepted
is a far more effective means of becoming free to reach one's fullest potential
than merely sticking to dry rationalism.

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!aeq

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/20/85)

> I will look from a different perspective at the question wherewith I started
> this discussion:  If you are nothing but matter, how can there be a "you" in
> whose interest cooperation is?  Your model of human nature (100% biochemistry)
> seems inconsistent with the fact that we are having this discussion at all --
> or how do you think we happen to be alive, conscious, and intelligent?

By virtue of the make-up of that biochemistry that enables us to do that.
That biochemical make-up IS me.  By the way, wrong newsgroup for this:
net.philosophy is probably the place to continue such discussion, as it
has been going on there for some time.

> The idea that these somehow came/come out of inanimate matter (which you
> implicitly ASS-U-ME) is infinitely more implausible -- indeed, preposterous
> -- than the idea that they were put there by a Designer.

Only, of course, if you have assumed that there IS such a designer.
Preposterous?  Perhaps very unlikely and hugely complex.  But that's exactly
what the world happens to be.  Amongst the whole universe (or set of
universes), this one that we're in is the one where physical laws are as they
are and this small part of it that we're in is the one in which conditions
were such that life could exist.  Why are we here, in this spot?  Because if
this wasn't "here", there wouldn't be any "we", conditions wouldn't have allowed
it.  Does that imply some designer?  Not at all.  We are "here" because this
is the only place that had conditions to allow us to exist.  If conditions
were some other way, there might not have been any "us" to ask such questions!
Don't like that?  Want something more?  Well, you're free to want whatever
you like, but that don't have an effect on the real world (though you've
seemed in the past to think that it does).

>>Some people (apparently) won't accept what's logically clearly in their own
>>best interests (like mutual cooperation) unless a parent/authority figure
>>tells them they have to.  That's why they invent gods.

> As I've implied before, some people have, as a result of their past hurts, an
> idea of what seems to be in their own best interests which may be at variance
> with what is actually in their best interests.  What they need is not just
> logic, but healing.  Or, sometimes they may know what is in their best
> interests -- what they really want to do -- but these same hurts make them
> too fearful to do it, too fearful that the hurts will be repeated.  The Bible
> was written, among other things, to give us guidelines as to what is actually
> in our best interests, though we may not have discovered it yet.

Agreed.  Much of it was written with that purpose in mind.  But given that
there's no reason to believe it really was the "word of god" (assuming for
now that there is such a beast), when one sees some of the flaws in the
reasoning found in the book, some of the things it claims (and commands!)
are WRONG for everyone and should be punished, one should take the time to
stop and think.  Does this book, though it offers some brilliant philosophy,
offer the be all and end all?  Do I believe EVERYTHING I read in it regardless
of evidence to the contrary, or do I take from it what is good, what helps,
and take the rest as parable, fable, legend, or even the wild impositions of
some author of the time?

> God Himself
> is constantly at work healing us so that we lose our false wants and find out
> what we really want, then have the courage to go for it.

For instance, what are "false wants"?  I agree that some things one may want
are not in one's best interest, some things may be downright wrong.  But is
it a false want just because a book says so?

>  But until this
> healing is completed (or at least well along), those guidelines are there so
> that we don't mess ourselves up worse than we already are.

One can be better healed by better recognizing one's position in the real
world.  I shouldn't speak for those who simply cannot get along without
belief in a parent figure that runs it all despite the lack of evidence to
support that notion, but such cases strike me as very sad.

> Example:  This group had a discussion a while back on fornication.  Many
> fundamentalists look upon this as one of the star sins, i.e. something which
> renders those who commit it liable to judgment and ostracism.  But in actual
> fact, the reason not to do it is that it is a suboptimal satisfaction of a
> want -- the want for total (not just physical) intimacy with a MOTOS, which
> can't be achieved very well outside of marriage.

Oh?  Care to elaborate on why?  Seriously, beyond the words of a book, what
makes it WRONG?

>  Paul puts it even more
> strongly when he comments that someone who does indulge "sins against his
> own body" -- i.e. hurts himself.

In what way is sex (outside marriage or even outside "conventional" norms!!!)
hurting oneself?  PLEASE elaborate!!!!!

> It is my contention that starting from the basis that one is loved and
> accepted is a far more effective means of becoming free to reach one's fullest
> potential than merely sticking to dry rationalism.

Loved and accepted by what?  Feeling that way may make you feel better,
but if you're talking about love and acceptance from some mythical deity
your basis may be flawed, and that's no foundation worth standing on.
Human beings don't love and accept unconditionally, they offer such things
those actions.  To want this "unconditional love and acceptance" you've often
spoken of (from a deity) strikes me as a wish to fulfill that need without
interacting with humans to get it.  You may live on the illusion, but the
real thing is out here amongst us people.
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

In article <1235@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:

>> Sure [the principle stated above is] absolute.  you've elevated
>> "increased stability and comfort for the
>> group as a whole" to an absolute principle. [WINGATE]

>Are you claiming that such a principle is not an obvious goal of a group?
>Would you rather the group had self-annihilation as a principle/goal?

That doesn't give any moral weight to it, without the assumption that one
should cooperate with the wishes of the group.

>>>From my perspective, you should care since you would be benefitting
>>>directly from any improvements. It does not require an absolute
>>>"moral authority" to justify this.

>> But that's just the point.  If I can see a way to improve my own position
>> EVEN MORE, at the expense of others, why should I not take it?  Mutual gain
>> must be a goal that everyone should have, for that criticism to have
>> merit-- unless there is some absolute principle backing it up.

>How about the principle that you gain more for a longer period of time by
>cooperation with others than by "improving you position at the expense of
>others", incurring their wrath and prompting any person or group of persons
>to act against you (through violence, revenge, blockade, etc.)  It is in
>your interest to cooperate with those around you.  Something people are very
>slow to learn, individually, as nationalities, and as a planet.

How long? an eternity? a lifetime? a week? 5 minutes?  Unless you've
suddenly acquired a belief in an afterlife, I think it is readily shown
that, for some people, their desires in life demand noncooperation and
exploitation of others.  From their point of view, your statement is
patently false.

>>>I'm not sure what is meant by "human nature" here. It is sufficient to
>>>say that from my perspective, any rule of society that prevents someone
>>>from hurting others is one that I approve of, since it will protect
>>>me from violence, or at least try to dissuade someone from attempting
>>>to harm me. One doesn't need a very sophisticated model of human nature
>>>to understand this. Therefore there is no need for me to provide you
>>>with any model, or a defense as to why it should be catered to, over
>>>and above what has already been said.

>> I didn't say that there had a complicated model.  But you can't just state
>> that the mutual good of society as a universal priniciple without some
>> backing, and if you are going to abandon that, and take up pure relativism,
>> then there's no reason why anyone should listen to you.

>I thought I just gave such a reason.  Some people (apparently) won't accept
>what's logically clearly in their own best interests (like mutual
>cooperation) unless a parent/authority figure tells them they have to.
>That's why they invent gods.

But Rich, everyone doesn't agree with you that it is in their best
interests.  If they did, there would be no problem.  Even this completely
ignores the all-important problem of what exactly constitutes mutual
cooperation.  And the gratuitous comment about Gods is precisely equivalent
to me postulating that atheists disbelieve in Gods because they don't like
the moral system that the Gods have set forth.  A groundless speculation
either way.

>> Democracy is a political system.  In the form that we practice it, it is
>> based upon the supposition of certain rights and certain notions about
>> human
>> nature.  It is somewhat empirical, in the sense that we can change what
>> doesn't work out.  But it is not an ethical or moral system.  Especially,
>> there are certain tests for moral systems which any sort of majority rule
>> voting doesn't pass.

>As a "system" (we're not talking about the individual laws under it), it
>performs exactly the function I describe above.  "I am a person, I could
>take everything from my neighbor, but by the same token he/she could take
>everything from me.  Perhaps to work out a mutually agreeable arrangement
>of our rights and the minimal limits to those rights that allow non-
>interference, we can not only live peacefully, but garnish some benefits
>out of the cooperation as well!!  What a great idea!"  To which some people
>seem to feel the need to respond: "NAAH!  This will only work if we get a god
>to enforce the arrangement, therefore...

Democracy can get you enforcing any set of moral principles at all.  So is
any other government (at least in theory).  Democracy also quite explicitly
punts on the question of whether an individual can have a moral system
superior to the group he is in.  By way of illustration, suppose that the
freely elected Government of Texas enacts all kinds of restrictive laws
(take your pick).  Democracy doesn't care that, by Rich Rosen's criterion, a
person who advocates repeal of these laws is in fact more moral than the
group.  If he cannot muster a majority, his view cannot be adopted.

>> No, it is central.  If you take a hard core existentialist position and
>> assert that there is no discoverable shared human nature, then you can't
>> appeal to any innate rights or characteristics.  Again, you trap moral
>> systems in pure relativism.  THere is then every reason to expect that,
>> used by another person, your moral system is WRONG.

>On the contrary, this system may be "pure relativism", but it is clearly
>a system that offers maximal rights, maximal benefits, and minimal
>constraints on people, which to me sounds quote optimal for all involved.
>So-called "human nature" indeed has nothing to do with this argument.

Oh, nonsense.  If you have no guarantee that maximal rights are best for
everyone WHEN TAKEN AS INDIVIDUALS, than it ain't a moral imperative.  You
can make a very strong argument that trying to assasinate Hitler would have
been quite morally justified, but it sure as hell isn't giving him maximal
rights.  If you accept that it was moral, then you've thrown away the
universality; if you deny it, then I suggest that you are worshiping the
wrong principles.

Charley WIngate  umcp-cs!mangoe

  "You want me to make a donation to the Coast guard Youth Auxiliary!"

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (07/22/85)

-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University, Networking
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/23/85)

>>Are you claiming that such a principle is not an obvious goal of a group?
>>Would you rather the group had self-annihilation as a principle/goal?

> That doesn't give any moral weight to it, without the assumption that one
> should cooperate with the wishes of the group.

Moral what?  You mean like "God says so."  or "Do it or I'll blow your head
off?"  If one is a member of the group, one gains from cooperating with the
group.  The group's goals are the goals of its individuals (survival, etc.).
Obviously the optimal arrangement is for the "group" to be the human race
at large.

>>>But that's just the point.  If I can see a way to improve my own position
>>>EVEN MORE, at the expense of others, why should I not take it?  Mutual gain
>>>must be a goal that everyone should have, for that criticism to have
>>>merit-- unless there is some absolute principle backing it up.

>>How about the principle that you gain more for a longer period of time by
>>cooperation with others than by "improving you position at the expense of
>>others", incurring their wrath and prompting any person or group of persons
>>to act against you (through violence, revenge, blockade, etc.)  It is in
>>your interest to cooperate with those around you.  Something people are very
>>slow to learn, individually, as nationalities, and as a planet.

> How long? an eternity? a lifetime? a week? 5 minutes?  Unless you've
> suddenly acquired a belief in an afterlife, I think it is readily shown
> that, for some people, their desires in life demand noncooperation and
> exploitation of others.  From their point of view, your statement is
> patently false.

No, they simply fit into the category of the last statement I made in the
paragraph before yours above.  (Readily shown?)

>>>I didn't say that there had a complicated model.  But you can't just state
>>>that the mutual good of society as a universal priniciple without some
>>>backing, and if you are going to abandon that, and take up pure relativism,
>>>then there's no reason why anyone should listen to you.

>>I thought I just gave such a reason.  Some people (apparently) won't accept
>>what's logically clearly in their own best interests (like mutual
>>cooperation) unless a parent/authority figure tells them they have to.
>>That's why they invent gods.

> But Rich, everyone doesn't agree with you that it is in their best
> interests.  If they did, there would be no problem.

Hmmm...  Why is it that they don't?

> Even this completely
> ignores the all-important problem of what exactly constitutes mutual
> cooperation.  And the gratuitous comment about Gods is precisely equivalent
> to me postulating that atheists disbelieve in Gods because they don't like
> the moral system that the Gods have set forth.  A groundless speculation
> either way.

Certainly a morality with an unprovable religion behind cannot hold a
candle to a morality with reason behind it.  Look at your world today.
People suddenly realizing "Hey, there ain't no reason to believe in this
god stuff, so this whole morality stuff is garbage!"  Tying morality to a
bogus religion inevitably leads to people shirking the morality (the good parts
of it, too) along with the religious belief.  Morality based on reason
stand up to such tinkering.  And I think the "morality" shown above, least
impositional, most free, most beneficial, is logically the best, despite
its lack of "moral weight"  (God says so!)

 [on democracy]
>>As a "system" (we're not talking about the individual laws under it), it
>>performs exactly the function I describe above.  "I am a person, I could
>>take everything from my neighbor, but by the same token he/she could take
>>everything from me.  Perhaps to work out a mutually agreeable arrangement
>>of our rights and the minimal limits to those rights that allow non-
>>interference, we can not only live peacefully, but garnish some benefits
>>out of the cooperation as well!!  What a great idea!"  To which some people
>>seem to feel the need to respond: "NAAH!  This will only work if we get a god
>>to enforce the arrangement, therefore...

> Democracy can get you enforcing any set of moral principles at all.  So is
> any other government (at least in theory).  Democracy also quite explicitly
> punts on the question of whether an individual can have a moral system
> superior to the group he is in.  By way of illustration, suppose that the
> freely elected Government of Texas enacts all kinds of restrictive laws
> (take your pick).  Democracy doesn't care that, by Rich Rosen's criterion, a
> person who advocates repeal of these laws is in fact more moral than the
> group.  If he cannot muster a majority, his view cannot be adopted.

One of the reasons for having a Constitution that provides maximal freedom
from such things.  Again, talk about morality, and talk about political
systems, but they're not the same thing and it's silly to treat them like
they are in this context.

>>On the contrary, this system may be "pure relativism", but it is clearly
>>a system that offers maximal rights, maximal benefits, and minimal
>>constraints on people, which to me sounds quote optimal for all involved.
>>So-called "human nature" indeed has nothing to do with this argument.

> Oh, nonsense.  If you have no guarantee that maximal rights are best for
> everyone WHEN TAKEN AS INDIVIDUALS, than it ain't a moral imperative.  You
> can make a very strong argument that trying to assasinate Hitler would have
> been quite morally justified, but it sure as hell isn't giving him maximal
> rights.

Pardon me, but wasn't he interfering with people's maximal rights?  In a not
so benign way?  By the way, give an example of a case where maximal rights
within the proscribed limits is NOT beneficial for an individual.

> If you accept that it was moral, then you've thrown away the
> universality; if you deny it, then I suggest that you are worshiping the
> wrong principles.

I wasn't talking about an absolute tolerance, but rather a MAXIMAL tolerance.
--
"iY AHORA, INFORMACION INTERESANTE ACERCA DE... LA LLAMA!"
	Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (07/25/85)

From Rich Rosen (pyuxd!rlr):

> Amongst the whole universe (or set of
> universes), this one that we're in is the one where physical laws are as they
> are and this small part of it that we're in is the one in which conditions
> were such that life could exist.  Why are we here, in this spot?  Because if
> this wasn't "here", there wouldn't be any "we", conditions wouldn't have
> allowed it.  Does that imply some designer?  Not at all.  We are "here"
> because this is the only place that had conditions to allow us to exist.

Obviously the physical conditions here allow us to exist.  But allowing
something is an immense distance from causing it.  Your assumption that
life, consciousness, and intelligence arose -- from a state where there
were no such things (this is your assumption, is it not?) -- is not at all
empirically verifiable; it just fits the rest of your world view.

>> The Bible was written, among other things, to give us guidelines as to what
>> is actually in our best interests, though we may not have discovered it yet.

> Agreed.  Much of it was written with that purpose in mind.  But given that
> there's no reason to believe it really was the "word of god" (assuming for
> now that there is such a beast), when one sees some of the flaws in the
> reasoning found in the book, some of the things it claims (and commands!)
> are WRONG for everyone and should be punished, one should take the time to
> stop and think.  Does this book, though it offers some brilliant philosophy,
> offer the be all and end all?  Do I believe EVERYTHING I read in it regardless
> of evidence to the contrary, or do I take from it what is good, what helps,
> and take the rest as parable, fable, legend, or even the wild impositions of
> some author of the time?

I am genuinely pleased that you and I have found some ground of agreement.
(No :-); I mean that.)  It would be interesting, but time-consuming, to have
a discussion of some of the "flaws in the reasoning" -- that is, if there are
any other than the basic premise of the existence of God, which you obviously
consider a flaw.  I'm not sure why so much of the Bible (particularly the Old
Testament) was put in terms of crime and punishment, other than perhaps to make
graphically clear the idea that if you do something wrong (or, as I've said
elsewhere, suboptimal), you'll suffer for it sooner or later (perhaps only
inside yourself).  And heck, a great many Christians don't believe everything
in it, because they (we) have a vested interest in not doing so (e.g. Matthew 6,
starting at about verse 19).  But anyway, I am glad that you do not reject the
entire Bible out of hand.

>> God Himself is constantly at work healing us so that we lose our false
>> wants and find out what we really want, then have the courage to go for it.

> For instance, what are "false wants"?  I agree that some things one may want
> are not in one's best interest, some things may be downright wrong.  But is
> it a false want just because a book says so?

Actually it's the other way around:  The Bible opposes certain things because
they are not what anyone really wants, what are in anyone's best interests.

>> But until this healing is completed (or at least well along), those
>> guidelines are there so that we don't mess ourselves up worse than we
>> already are.

> One can be better healed by better recognizing one's position in the real
> world.  I shouldn't speak for those who simply cannot get along without
> belief in a parent figure that runs it all despite the lack of evidence to
> support that notion, but such cases strike me as very sad.

Actually my point was that sticking within Biblical limits stands a good
chance of preventing you from requiring more healing than you already do.
And yes, many people who come to Christ are indeed very sad when they come
or perhaps for years after, and it is Christ who enables them to discard
that sadness.

>> Example:  This group had a discussion a while back on fornication.  Many
>> fundamentalists look upon this as one of the star sins, i.e. something which
>> renders those who commit it liable to judgment and ostracism.  But in actual
>> fact, the reason not to do it is that it is a suboptimal satisfaction of a
>> want -- the want for total (not just physical) intimacy with a MOTOS, which
>> can't be achieved very well outside of marriage.  Paul puts it even more
>> strongly when he comments that someone who does indulge "sins against his
>> own body" -- i.e. hurts himself.

> Oh?  Care to elaborate on why?  Seriously, beyond the words of a book, what
> makes it WRONG?  In what way is sex (outside marriage or even outside
> "conventional" norms!!!) hurting oneself?  PLEASE elaborate!!!!!

Anyone out there who is married but who played around before marriage care to
comment on the difference between the two?  All I can say is that my minimal
experience with premarital sex was pretty painful (no, not physically!).  At
least I can say that it doesn't work without a high degree of trust between
the partners, such trust as is at its strongest when the two have made a solemn
commitment to each other.

>> It is my contention that starting from the basis that one is loved and
>> accepted is a far more effective means of becoming free to reach one's
>> fullest potential than merely sticking to dry rationalism.

> Loved and accepted by what?  Feeling that way may make you feel better,
> but if you're talking about love and acceptance from some mythical deity
> your basis may be flawed, and that's no foundation worth standing on.
> Human beings don't love and accept unconditionally, they offer such things
> those actions.  To want this "unconditional love and acceptance" you've often
> spoken of (from a deity) strikes me as a wish to fulfill that need without
> interacting with humans to get it.  You may live on the illusion, but the
> real thing is out here amongst us people.

But it is a foundation that has transformed me in the past 10 years or so.
As to the source of love and acceptance:  Certainly the love and acceptance
of humans who cared for me though I didn't offer them much of anything
except draining them with my need for self-esteem and acceptance has helped
me.  But so has a lot of prayer alone in my room.

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!aeq
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.  (James 5:16)
The prayer of a not-so-righteous man availeth sometimes....  (Rich McDaniel)

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/26/85)

>>Amongst the whole universe (or set of
>>universes), this one that we're in is the one where physical laws are as they
>>are and this small part of it that we're in is the one in which conditions
>>were such that life could exist.  Why are we here, in this spot?  Because if
>>this wasn't "here", there wouldn't be any "we", conditions wouldn't have
>>allowed it.  Does that imply some designer?  Not at all.  We are "here"
>>because this is the only place that had conditions to allow us to exist. [RR]

> Obviously the physical conditions here allow us to exist.  But allowing
> something is an immense distance from causing it.  Your assumption that
> life, consciousness, and intelligence arose -- from a state where there
> were no such things (this is your assumption, is it not?) -- is not at all
> empirically verifiable; it just fits the rest of your world view. [SARGENT]

It is also supported by archaeology, paleontology, cosmology, ...  Not an
assumption, no, it is the converse (that it DID [yes, it DID, DID, DID and
DID!] ), that a creator deliberately caused it to exist, that is the
assumption.

> It would be interesting, but time-consuming, to have
> a discussion of some of the "flaws in the reasoning" -- that is, if there are
> any other than the basic premise of the existence of God, which you obviously
> consider a flaw.

It is that assumption (the existence of god) that all the further compounded
"flaws" seem to stem from.  (They're not "flaws" in reasoning because they're
perfectly valid if you accept the assumption, though it seems a few added
assumptions must be inserted along the way to fill in cracks.)

>>> God Himself is constantly at work healing us so that we lose our false
>>> wants and find out what we really want, then have the courage to go for it.

>> For instance, what are "false wants"?  I agree that some things one may want
>> are not in one's best interest, some things may be downright wrong.  But is
>> it a false want just because a book says so?

>Actually it's the other way around:  The Bible opposes certain things because
>they are not what anyone really wants, what are in anyone's best interests.

Funny, there are plenty of people I know (myself included) that really and
truly want to do things that this book considers wrong, and we have yet to
see any reason for labelling these things as wrong (they don't harm other
people or themselves).  Are you SURE it's the "other" way around??

>>>Example:  This group had a discussion a while back on fornication.  Many
>>>fundamentalists look upon this as one of the star sins, i.e. something which
>>>renders those who commit it liable to judgment and ostracism.  But in actual
>>>fact, the reason not to do it is that it is a suboptimal satisfaction of a
>>>want -- the want for total (not just physical) intimacy with a MOTOS, which
>>>can't be achieved very well outside of marriage.  Paul puts it even more
>>>strongly when he comments that someone who does indulge "sins against his
>>>own body" -- i.e. hurts himself.

>>Oh?  Care to elaborate on why?  Seriously, beyond the words of a book, what
>>makes it WRONG?  In what way is sex (outside marriage or even outside
>>"conventional" norms!!!) hurting oneself?  PLEASE elaborate!!!!!

>Anyone out there who is married but who played around before marriage care to
>comment on the difference between the two?  All I can say is that my minimal
>experience with premarital sex was pretty painful (no, not physically!).  At
>least I can say that it doesn't work without a high degree of trust between
>the partners, such trust as is at its strongest when the two have made a solemn
>commitment to each other.

Sure add in enough guilt ("this is WRONG!  this is WRONG!  this is...") and
it's sure to be painful.  Working from assumptions again.  Since you have no
experience with such "solemn trust" in the context you mention, you are in
no position to judge.  I'm sure many married Christians might support Jeff's
view, but the fact that others may not, and that married and unmarried non-
Christians can offer a completely different perspective shows that the
blanket classification that this is ONLY right in marriage is bogus.

>>Loved and accepted by what?  Feeling that way may make you feel better,
>>but if you're talking about love and acceptance from some mythical deity
>>your basis may be flawed, and that's no foundation worth standing on.
>>Human beings don't love and accept unconditionally, they offer such things
>>those actions.  To want this "unconditional love and acceptance" you've often
>>spoken of (from a deity) strikes me as a wish to fulfill that need without
>>interacting with humans to get it.  You may live on the illusion, but the
>>real thing is out here amongst us people.

> But it is a foundation that has transformed me in the past 10 years or so.

Cults, beliefs, etc. all have successfully transformed people.

> As to the source of love and acceptance:  Certainly the love and acceptance
> of humans who cared for me though I didn't offer them much of anything
> except draining them with my need for self-esteem and acceptance has helped
> me.  But so has a lot of prayer alone in my room.

Good thing they saw good in you that you yourself were hiding.  If prayer
puts you in a frame of mind that makes you feel better about yourself,
great.  It sounds like it only makes you feel better about yourself in
relation to something else, though.
--
"iY AHORA, INFORMACION INTERESANTE ACERCA DE... LA LLAMA!"
	Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (07/30/85)

From Rich Rosen (pyuxd!rlr):

>> Your assumption that life, consciousness, and intelligence arose -- from a
>> state where there were no such things (this is your assumption, is it not?)
>> -- is not at all empirically verifiable; it just fits the rest of your world
>> view.

> It is also supported by archaeology, paleontology, cosmology, ...  Not an
> assumption, no, it is the converse (that it DID [yes, it DID, DID, DID and
> DID!] ), that a creator deliberately caused it to exist, that is the
> assumption.

Rich, you're entering obnoxious mode without provocation (per my article
"a suggestion").  The parenthetical note in your paragraph above is unnecessary.

The sciences you name support the idea that changes have occurred on earth
(e.g. dinosaurs once lived here, but no more), but they do not imply that
there was no intelligence behind the changes.  And as I said, we don't see
evolutionary changes taking place now, and we certainly don't see life coming
from non-life now.  The idea that that could happen is an assumption by those
who, like you, do not want to admit the existence of a god.

>>Actually it's the other way around:  The Bible opposes certain things because
>>they are not what anyone really wants, what are in anyone's best interests.

> Funny, there are plenty of people I know (myself included) that really and
> truly want to do things that this book considers wrong, and we have yet to
> see any reason for labelling these things as wrong (they don't harm other
> people or themselves).  Are you SURE it's the "other" way around??

It's all in the definition of "harm", I suppose.  Sex, for instance, is such
a titanic linkage of two people that if one has sex with numerous partners,
one is in a sense violating oneself by bringing too many people too close.

And actually, a lot of things in the Bible are backwards from the way most
people think.  Not for nothing has the Kingdom of God been called "the
upside-down kingdom"; as one progresses as a Christian, one can discover
radical new ways of looking at life that are totally different (and better,
more freeing) than the way "the world" looks at life.

> I'm sure many married Christians might support Jeff's view [that premarital
> sex is unwise], but the fact that others may not, and that married and
> unmarried non- Christians can offer a completely different perspective shows
> that the blanket classification that this is ONLY right in marriage is bogus.

Once again, I'm not talking "right" and "wrong"; I'm talking "best for the
people involved".

>> As to the source of love and acceptance:  Certainly the love and acceptance
>> of humans who cared for me though I didn't offer them much of anything
>> except draining them with my need for self-esteem and acceptance has helped
>> me.  But so has a lot of prayer alone in my room.

> Good thing they saw good in you that you yourself were hiding.  If prayer
> puts you in a frame of mind that makes you feel better about yourself,
> great.  It sounds like it only makes you feel better about yourself in
> relation to something else, though.

Yes and no.  It does help me to see things more clearly (there are some things
that don't have to be looked at radically [as above], rationally [!] does fine,
thank you).  But be it noted that the idea that acceptance by {S,s}omeone else
can help you to accept yourself and grow toward wholeness is not confined to
Christendom; the most obvious more secular example is Alcoholics Anonymous.

Sigh....  No time to say more, system is shutting down for the night.

--

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (07/30/85)

In article <2147@pucc-h> aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) writes:
>>> The Bible was written, among other things, to give us guidelines as to what
>>> is actually in our best interests, though we may not have discovered it yet.

This is a lovely opinion, unless one happens to have some other religion, or
no religion at all, or if one is gay, or....

>Actually it's the other way around:  The Bible opposes certain things because
>they are not what anyone really wants, what are in anyone's best interests.

And that is why they say 'but this is for your oun good' as they put you in
the oven (jail, whatever).

>>> fundamentalists look upon this as one of the star sins, i.e. something which
>>> renders those who commit it liable to judgment and ostracism.  But in actual
>>> fact, the reason not to do it is that it is a suboptimal satisfaction of a
>>> want -- the want for total (not just physical) intimacy with a MOTOS, which
>>> can't be achieved very well outside of marriage.
>Anyone out there who is married but who played around before marriage care to
>comment on the difference between the two?  All I can say is that my minimal
>experience with premarital sex was pretty painful (no, not physically!).  At
>least I can say that it doesn't work without a high degree of trust between
>the partners, such trust as is at its strongest when the two have made a solemn
>commitment to each other.

And some ceremony in front of a priest, preacher, or minister (of the Christian
faith, I presume) is the only way to make that trusting commitment.  I have to
disagree and my reasons are personal.  This sounds like another way of saying
'you aren't married, your relationship is not "real"'.  I hear this regularly
about my (gay) relationship, but there is no legal mechanism for marrying two
men (can you say 'catch 22'?).  I can say "bullshit".

Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/31/85)

>>>Your assumption that life, consciousness, and intelligence arose -- from a
>>>state where there were no such things (this is your assumption, is it not?)
>>>-- is not at all empirically verifiable; it just fits the rest of your world
>>>view.

>>It is also supported by archaeology, paleontology, cosmology, ...  Not an
>>assumption, no, it is the converse (that it DID [yes, it DID, DID, DID and
>>DID!] ), that a creator deliberately caused it to exist, that is the
>>assumption.

> Rich, you're entering obnoxious mode without provocation (per my article
> "a suggestion").  The parenthetical note in your paragraph above is
> unnecessary.

The parenthetical note is neither obnoxious nor unnecessary.  Given the
weight of evidence supporting the notions that such people wish to debunk,
their attempts really are nothing but "Yes it did happen!  It did!  It did!"
assertions.

> The sciences you name support the idea that changes have occurred on earth
> (e.g. dinosaurs once lived here, but no more), but they do not imply that
> there was no intelligence behind the changes.  And as I said, we don't see
> evolutionary changes taking place now, and we certainly don't see life coming
> from non-life now.  The idea that that could happen is an assumption by those
> who, like you, do not want to admit the existence of a god.

"Do not want to admit"?  You mean "do not want to assume"!  Let's get that
quite clear.  One "admits" things that have been shown to be true.  Have you
done so?  Until you do, don't you dare claim that others who disagree with
your notions "do not want to ADMIT" them.

>>Funny, there are plenty of people I know (myself included) that really and
>>truly want to do things that this book considers wrong, and we have yet to
>>see any reason for labelling these things as wrong (they don't harm other
>>people or themselves).  Are you SURE it's the "other" way around??

> It's all in the definition of "harm", I suppose.  Sex, for instance, is such
> a titanic linkage of two people that if one has sex with numerous partners,
> one is in a sense violating oneself by bringing too many people too close.

Please document your assumptions here.  Show me in what way these statements
are anything more than your assertions about sex.  You feel that way because
of the way you feel about sex.  Does that make it universal?

>>I'm sure many married Christians might support Jeff's view [that premarital
>>sex is unwise], but the fact that others may not, and that married and
>>unmarried non- Christians can offer a completely different perspective shows
>>that the blanket classification that this is ONLY right in marriage is bogus.

> Once again, I'm not talking "right" and "wrong"; I'm talking "best for the
> people involved".

When you talk, Jeff, you seem to assume that what's right for you as you see
it APPLIES to ALL other people "involved".  Witness your foray into net.singles
on homosexuality, AGAIN.  Thus, we ARE talking right and wrong because of the
way you talk about things.  In your paragraph about "harm", you make reference
to people in general ("if *one* has sex...").  I've always said that right and
wrong are subjective and individually rooted, and you've been saying that it's
not, that right and wrong are written in a book.

> But be it noted that the idea that acceptance by {S,s}omeone else
> can help you to accept yourself and grow toward wholeness is not confined to
> Christendom; the most obvious more secular example is Alcoholics Anonymous.

Agreed.  It's a shame when one HAS to depend on the external continually to
feel the self-acceptance.
--
"Because love grows where my Rosemary goes and nobody knows but me."
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

In article <5409@fortune.UUCP> brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard brower) writes:

>And some ceremony in front of a priest, preacher, or minister (of the Christian
>faith, I presume) is the only way to make that trusting commitment.  I have to
>disagree and my reasons are personal.  This sounds like another way of saying
>'you aren't married, your relationship is not "real"'.  I hear this regularly
>about my (gay) relationship, but there is no legal mechanism for marrying two
>men (can you say 'catch 22'?).  I can say "bullshit".

	I would say that the important thing is the public commitment,
*not* the legal recognition of it.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

jah@philabs.UUCP (Julie Harazduk) (08/06/85)

> It is also supported by archaeology, paleontology, cosmology, ...  Not an
> assumption, no, it is the converse (that it DID [yes, it DID, DID, DID and
> DID!] ), that a creator deliberately caused it to exist, that is the
> assumption. [RR]

Archeology winds up supporting Biblical accounts.  Cosmology doesn't pose
too many definite answers as to the origins of things (from nothing...BANG...
dream on!!!!)

> >Actually it's the other way around:  The Bible opposes certain things because
> >they are not what anyone really wants, what are in anyone's best interests.
> [SARGENT]

> Funny, there are plenty of people I know (myself included) that really and
> truly want to do things that this book considers wrong, and we have yet to
> see any reason for labelling these things as wrong (they don't harm other
> people or themselves).  Are you SURE it's the "other" way around??

Maybe you haven't gotten hurt yet, but I tend to doubt that.  Everybody gets
hurt, eventually, from intimate relationships that don't last.  And often
the things that hurt are actually done to us so that we will hurt.  If you
haven't been hurt, then maybe you've been doing all the lashing out.  At
some point it always comes down to the same thing.  Relationships end and
people get hurt.  Marriage, on the other hand, when done with the right
reasons with the right two people, should not end..until death do you
part.  Chew on that for a while.

The sexual life style is not all as glamorous as you make it out to be.
Those things you say you want to do are filling some emptiness (need)
inside of you.  God fills it too, if you let Him.  And without the hurt
that numerous intimate relationships wind up inflicting on everybody
involved.  And if not the mental anguish...what about the physical diseases
going around.  Fool around with the wrong person these days and you may not
be around to tell the story a couple of years from now or so.

> >>Oh?  Care to elaborate on why?  Seriously, beyond the words of a book, what
> >>makes it WRONG?  In what way is sex (outside marriage or even outside
> >>"conventional" norms!!!) hurting oneself?  PLEASE elaborate!!!!!

Sex is not the thing that hurts.  It's the relationship that does.  Sex creates
an intimacy that is an illusion when there is no love between two people.  And
if there is love, true love...why not marriage.  The only way sex can hurt
is physically...by disease, partners being inconsiderate (why bother if it's
only tonight), force, unwanted pregnancy.  Mentally, it's not the sex that
hurts but the mirrage it creates.

> Sure add in enough guilt ("this is WRONG!  this is WRONG!  this is...") and
> it's sure to be painful.

I never felt a guilty moment in bed, but I got hurt.  Expectations are built
on the intimacy that sex creates.  If both people don't live up to those
expectations, someone will get hurt.  And it's usually pretty messy.  Most
people don't remain friends (socially) after sharing an intimate relationship.

> Working from assumptions again.  Since you have no
> experience with such "solemn trust" in the context you mention, you are in
> no position to judge.  I'm sure many married Christians might support Jeff's
> view, but the fact that others may not, and that married and unmarried non-
> Christians can offer a completely different perspective shows that the
> blanket classification that this is ONLY right in marriage is bogus. [RR]

If your not Christian, nobody's telling you to change your way of life.  If
you become Christian, it's just a matter of time before you will, with God's
help.

> >>Loved and accepted by what?  Feeling that way may make you feel better,
> >>but if you're talking about love and acceptance from some mythical deity
> >>your basis may be flawed, and that's no foundation worth standing on.
> >>Human beings don't love and accept unconditionally, they offer such things
> >>those actions.  To want this "unconditional love and acceptance" you've often
> >>spoken of (from a deity) strikes me as a wish to fulfill that need without
> >>interacting with humans to get it.  You may live on the illusion, but the
> >>real thing is out here amongst us people. [RR]

Usually, parents (good parents that is) exhibit this king of love for a child.
Eventually, their patience runs thin sometimes.  God's patience is forever,
He's just waiting for us to ask for help, and He's there to help.  My mom
and dad have often had to have this same attitude.

Jesus loves you! (even if you don't care)

Julie Harazduk

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/09/85)

>>It is also supported by archaeology, paleontology, cosmology, ...  Not an
>>assumption, no, it is the converse (that it DID [yes, it DID, DID, DID and
>>DID!] ), that a creator deliberately caused it to exist, that is the
>>assumption. [RR]

> Archeology winds up supporting Biblical accounts.  Cosmology doesn't pose
> too many definite answers as to the origins of things (from nothing...BANG...
> dream on!!!!)  [HARAZDUK]

You left out paleontology.  Of course.  Archaelogy merely shows that the
civilizations described in the Bible existed around the times and places
described therein.  Archaeology certainly offers no support to the notions
of divine acts also described therein.  And as for cosmology, well, this
just sounds like "Ah, you don't know the ultimate truth, therefor MY wishful
speculations MUST be right".

>>>Actually it's the other way around:  The Bible opposes certain things because
>>>they are not what anyone really wants, what are in anyone's best interests.
>>>[SARGENT]

>>Funny, there are plenty of people I know (myself included) that really and
>>truly want to do things that this book considers wrong, and we have yet to
>>see any reason for labelling these things as wrong (they don't harm other
>>people or themselves).  Are you SURE it's the "other" way around??

> Maybe you haven't gotten hurt yet, but I tend to doubt that.  Everybody gets
> hurt, eventually, from intimate relationships that don't last.  And often
> the things that hurt are actually done to us so that we will hurt.  If you
> haven't been hurt, then maybe you've been doing all the lashing out.  At
> some point it always comes down to the same thing.  Relationships end and
> people get hurt.  Marriage, on the other hand, when done with the right
> reasons with the right two people, should not end..until death do you
> part.  Chew on that for a while.

"Should" not end?  Hmmm... No matter.  Is there something wrong with "getting
hurt"?  Must we always seek the ultimate protective sure-thing environment?
Why?  In doing so, in fact, in seeking the unattainable "perfect lifetime
relationship with a person living up to YOUR expectations", you are
predestined to fail.  (That much of determinism is a surefire reality!)

> The sexual life style is not all as glamorous as you make it out to be.
> Those things you say you want to do are filling some emptiness (need)
> inside of you.  God fills it too, if you let Him.  And without the hurt
> that numerous intimate relationships wind up inflicting on everybody
> involved.  And if not the mental anguish...what about the physical diseases
> going around.  Fool around with the wrong person these days and you may not
> be around to tell the story a couple of years from now or so.

The married lifestyle is not all as glamorous as you make it out to be.
Those things you say you want to do are filling some emptiness (need)
inside of you.  Freedom of thought and action do that too, if you let them.
And without the hurt that the intimacy of a single longterm relationship
of commitment to a particular person winds inflicting on EVERYBODY involved.
And if not the mental anguish...what about the high incidence of marital
violence and abuse perpetrated by people who expect and demand certain things
from a marriage.  Marry the wrong person these days and you may not be around
to tell the story a couple of years from now or so.

See how easy it is to make crass generalizations about a lifestyle?

> Sex is not the thing that hurts.  It's the relationship that does.  Sex
> creates an intimacy that is an illusion when there is no love between two
> people.

Just as marriage often creates an illusion of possession/possessedness and
safety that simply is not there.  Works both ways.

>  And if there is love, true love...why not marriage.

And the more important question:  if there is love, why MUST there be
marriage?

> The only way
> sex can hurt is physically...by disease, partners being inconsiderate (why
> bother if it's only tonight), force, unwanted pregnancy.  Mentally, it's
> not the sex that hurts but the mirrage it creates.

Being inconsiderate?  How about the notion in marriage that the partner
is now "yours", and thus you no longer need to be considerate as you did
during the process of "snaring" this person?  You can't just blithely
condemn a non-marriage lifestyle when such problems are rife in people's
preconceptions and actions in marriage.

>>Sure add in enough guilt ("this is WRONG!  this is WRONG!  this is...") and
>>it's sure to be painful.

> I never felt a guilty moment in bed, but I got hurt.  Expectations are built
> on the intimacy that sex creates.  If both people don't live up to those
> expectations, someone will get hurt.  And it's usually pretty messy.  Most
> people don't remain friends (socially) after sharing an intimate relationship.

If you're talking about expectations, don't leave out marriage.  More people
get married with unvoiced preconceptions and expectations of what the other
partner is "supposed" to be (it worked like this in my parents' family,
the Bible says that a spouse is supposed to do this...) than we could care
to count.  And more of THEM wind up either in divorce or bitter twisted
marriages as a result.

>>Working from assumptions again.  Since you have no
>>experience with such "solemn trust" in the context you mention, you are in
>>no position to judge.  I'm sure many married Christians might support Jeff's
>>view, but the fact that others may not, and that married and unmarried non-
>>Christians can offer a completely different perspective shows that the
>>blanket classification that this is ONLY right in marriage is bogus. [RR]

> If your not Christian, nobody's telling you to change your way of life.  If
> you become Christian, it's just a matter of time before you will, with God's
> help.

I'm not sure what on earth this has to do with my statement above.  Christians
have no monopoly on proper perspective about things like marriage, though
your assertions in your article make it appear that you feel that you do.
My point was that Jeff need not listen only to the Christian perspective on
requirements about marriage, that (as shown above) a lot of assumptions are
made within it.  I doubt that he wants to hear anything but that perspective,
but that's his business, and his problem.  I'm just offering a different
perspective from a different and perhaps less biased vantage point.

> Usually, parents (good parents that is) exhibit this kind of love for a child.
> Eventually, their patience runs thin sometimes.  God's patience is forever,
> He's just waiting for us to ask for help, and He's there to help.  My mom
> and dad have often had to have this same attitude.

Without rehashing how the existence of god is an a posteriori imposition
of the things you want in the universe onto that universe (and its "creator"),
this is just what you WANT to have, not necessarily what exists.  Your belief
that such things exist is your belief, that's all.
--

jah@philabs.UUCP (Julie Harazduk) (08/12/85)

> >>It is also supported by archaeology, paleontology, cosmology, ...  Not an
> >>assumption, no, it is the converse (that it DID [yes, it DID, DID, DID and
> >>DID!] ), that a creator deliberately caused it to exist, that is the
> >>assumption.
>
> > Rich, you're entering obnoxious mode without provocation (per my article
> > "a suggestion").  The parenthetical note in your paragraph above is
> > unnecessary.
>
> The parenthetical note is neither obnoxious nor unnecessary.  Given the
> weight of evidence supporting the notions that such people wish to debunk,
> their attempts really are nothing but "Yes it did happen!  It did!  It did!"
> assertions.

I see you doing exactly what you accuse others of doing.  Making assertions
without any proof.  The evidence has all been circumstantial.  Few of these
scientific fields that you've mentioned are based on empirical studies.  Most
of these that you mention just collect evidence and then attempt to explain
it in the best way they know how.  I think that's great and I don't think it
should stop, but stop trying to make it all sound like its FACT, FACT, FACT
...when its HYPOTHESIS, HYPOTHESIS, HYPOTHESIS (just using the famous Rich
Rosen emphatical redundancy :-).  Big difference...really.

> "Do not want to admit"?  You mean "do not want to assume"!  Let's get that
> quite clear.  One "admits" things that have been shown to be true.  Have you
> done so?  Until you do, don't you dare claim that others who disagree with
> your notions "do not want to ADMIT" them.

I'd be curious to know what it is God has to do before you believe.  Just
curious.  Do you think that if you were alive when Jesus lived, you would
have believed if you saw all the miracles and then the ressurection...or
would you have needed more proof?  How about when the Red Sea was opened
for the Israelites to pass through?  Would that have amazed you enough?
Or when the three men were thrown into the fire because they wouldn't bow
down- and they were unharmed in that fire and a fourth man was seen who
looked like the Son of God.  How about when the Jordan opened for the wander-
ing Israelites, would that have convinced you?  What do you have to live
through to be convinced?  God just may do it, if you define it, so be careful.

For the benefit of those who had to see great works, God did them.  For
the benefit of those who had to see God, He did that too, in the form of
His Son Jesus.  I think if God came to your door and personally invited
you to Heaven, you would turn Him away.  I don't believe you need proof.
You probably wouldn't believe it if you had it.

But really.  I would like to know what you would consider conclusive proof.
You never know what could happen.

Julie

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/14/85)

> I'd be curious to know what it is God has to do before you believe.

Exist.

> Just curious.  Do you think that if you were alive when Jesus lived, you would
> have believed if you saw all the miracles and then the ressurection...or
> would you have needed more proof?

Yes, indeed.  Just as I would need proof when Uri Geller bends sppons, or when
a magician pulls a rabbit out of his hat.  ("This time fer sure!" :-)  The
fact that you weren't there and still just blithely believe says something about
what kind of scrutiny you subject your potential beliefs to.

> How about when the Red Sea was opened
> for the Israelites to pass through?  Would that have amazed you enough?

Did it amaze you when you were there?  Or are you perhaps not quite that old,
which would mean that you accept the accounts at face value?  Why don't
you equally accepts Grimm's Fairy Tales?  There's little need to go through
the rest of the examples.
--
Meanwhile, the Germans were engaging in their heavy cream experiments in
Finland, where the results kept coming out like Swiss cheese...

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (08/15/85)

From Rich Rosen (pyuxd!rlr):

> Is there something wrong with "getting hurt"?  Must we always seek the
> ultimate protective sure-thing environment?  Why?

There's a difference between 1) doing what you believe is right (not just
allowed, but right and best) and being hurt for doing it (as usual, the prime
examples are Jesus and many of the apostles and prophets) and 2) asking for
trouble by doing something that may be far from the best thing for you (though
nothing says it isn't allowed).

As to most of the rest of the discussion (unrestricted sex vs. marriage), it
becomes apparent that much of your (Rich's) views of marriage come from your
own observations of what was apparently not a very good marriage between your
parents, as per this:

> More people get married with unvoiced preconceptions and expectations of what
> the other partner is "supposed" to be (it worked like this in my parents'
> family, the Bible says that a spouse is supposed to do this...) than we could
> care to count.  And more of THEM wind up either in divorce or bitter twisted
> marriages as a result.

You're right that exceptions can fry a marriage (this was brought out in the
series I recently posted to net.singles from a seminar on Preparing for
Marriage), but haven't you ever known any good marriages?  Or is there some
reason you always emphasize the worst side of everything that most people
consider basically good?  Sure there are problems in marriage.  Sure people
should be warned about them -- but not in the spirit of throwing out the baby
with the bath water (i.e. implying [as you SEEM to] that marriage should be
tossed out entirely).  For that matter, the same could be said about being a
Christian; there are lots of problems along that road, but that doesn't mean
it isn't a good road.

> Christians have no monopoly on proper perspective about things like marriage.
> .... My point was that Jeff need not listen only to the Christian perspective
> on requirements about marriage, that ... a lot of assumptions are made within
> it.  I doubt that he wants to hear anything but that perspective, but that's
> his business, and his problem.  I'm just offering a different perspective
> from a different and perhaps less biased vantage point.

What good is there in the atheist's (hardly unbiased) perspective on marriage?
For example, a marriage "until we don't feel like it any more" is hardly a
marriage in the full sense of the word, because it does not provide the
secure commitment that "so long as we both shall live" does.  The idea of
staying married only so long as both feel like it implies that each partner
*has* to work at being good to the other or risk losing him/her, which
implies somewhat of a loss of freedom built right into the very fabric of
the arrangement.  The idea of staying married no matter what allows, and I
hope encourages, the partners to love each other because they want to, not
because they dare not do otherwise; i.e., lifelong commitment fosters fuller
human growth if the partners choose to grow.  Love given freely, by choice
(as in the second case) is far better than love given from fear of loss (as
in the first case); indeed, fear-based "love" probably couldn't be called
love at all.

Perhaps this "until we don't feel like it" isn't your particular approach
to marriage, but it is that of a fair number of people nowadays; I'm just
pointing out that while they may think they are freer by not committing
themselves for life, they're actually less free.

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!aeq
Faith is admitting that you ain't God.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/17/85)

>>Is there something wrong with "getting hurt"?  Must we always seek the
>>ultimate protective sure-thing environment?  Why? [ROSEN]

> There's a difference between 1) doing what you believe is right (not just
> allowed, but right and best) and being hurt for doing it (as usual, the prime
> examples are Jesus and many of the apostles and prophets) and 2) asking for
> trouble by doing something that may be far from the best thing for you (though
> nothing says it isn't allowed).

You're probably right.  There probably is a difference.  I'd still like the
opportunity to go through both (1) and (2) and learn from both.  Why do you
assume that (2) is "asking for trouble"? Must you always choose some "optimum"
(by what standard) route?

> As to most of the rest of the discussion (unrestricted sex vs. marriage), it
> becomes apparent that much of your (Rich's) views of marriage come from your
> own observations of what was apparently not a very good marriage between your
> parents, as per this:

Stop.  If I ever hear Jeff Sargent project things onto other people that have
no basis in reality except his own mind, I'm going to scream so loud it will
be heard in California!

>>More people get married with unvoiced preconceptions and expectations of what
>>the other partner is "supposed" to be (it worked like this in my parents'
>>family, the Bible says that a spouse is supposed to do this...) than we could
>>care to count.  And more of THEM wind up either in divorce or bitter twisted
>>marriages as a result.

How the hell you get "not a very good marriage between my parents" from this
is beyond me.  My parents have been married for 30 years, thank you.  They
may have their faults, but the basis for my statements comes from experience
with quite a lot of married people in very different situations.  The
examples I gave of people citing their own parents' lives or the Bible as
"proof" of how marriage is "supposed" to be is pretty widespread.

> You're right that exceptions can fry a marriage (this was brought out in the
> series I recently posted to net.singles from a seminar on Preparing for
> Marriage), but haven't you ever known any good marriages?

Yeah, the ones in which each party overcame or shirked preconceived
expectations for the other ranking high among them.

>  Or is there some reason you always emphasize the worst side of everything
> that most people consider basically good?

I thought that was you who harped on how horrible people are, how the worst
examples like Stalin and Hitler are the basis for judging humanity.  No, I'm
wrong, those were other Christians.

> Sure there are problems in marriage.  Sure people
> should be warned about them -- but not in the spirit of throwing out the baby
> with the bath water (i.e. implying [as you SEEM to] that marriage should be
> tossed out entirely).

Where did you see words implying "tossed out entirely".  If marriage works
for certain people, fine.  You are the one who is insisting that it is a MUST
for successful relationships in the specific religious form you depict.  It
is NOT a necessity for solid relationships.  That is the point.

>  For that matter, the same could be said about being a
> Christian; there are lots of problems along that road, but that doesn't mean
> it isn't a good road.

But I think you need new tires, Jeff. :-)

>>Christians have no monopoly on proper perspective about things like marriage.
>>.... My point was that Jeff need not listen only to the Christian perspective
>>on requirements about marriage, that ... a lot of assumptions are made within
>>it.  I doubt that he wants to hear anything but that perspective, but that's
>>his business, and his problem.  I'm just offering a different perspective
>>from a different and perhaps less biased vantage point.

> What good is there in the atheist's (hardly unbiased) perspective on marriage?

A lot.  I think I've just presented some of it.  Did you read any of it?  In
fact, it is much more unbiased.  Nowhere did I say (as you repeatedly and
maliciously imply) that marriage as an institution is worthless.  I *have*
repeatedly said that many people who view marriage as a "given"  (I grow up,
I get married, I buy a house, I raise kids...) treat human relationships
in the shabbiest way (as do some non-marrieds), as described above, with
preconception and expectation.  Marriage is not a cure-all, a magic potion
that makes two people learn about relationships.  In that sense, it is
just as good (and just as bad) as any other relationship arrangement between
people.  Not some glorious ultimate better thing tht you depict it to be.
(And why do I get referred to as an atheist?)

> For example, a marriage "until we don't feel like it any more" is hardly a
> marriage in the full sense of the word, because it does not provide the
> secure commitment that "so long as we both shall live" does.

So?  Maybe both people would be better off in a closed-ended (or open-ended)
relationship.  Who are you to say that it MUST be a lifetime commitment?
There are other relationship possibilities.

>  The idea of
> staying married only so long as both feel like it implies that each partner
> *has* to work at being good to the other or risk losing him/her, which
> implies somewhat of a loss of freedom built right into the very fabric of
> the arrangement.

So, what's wrong with that?  I don't understand why you consider simply
treating another person with common decency to be work.  In any form of
relationship, if you treat the other person badly and maliciously on a
continuous basis (if the other person has any sense)---BOOM!  Fini.
Are you proposing that marriage should keep such relationships together?

> The idea of staying married no matter what allows, and I
> hope encourages, the partners to love each other because they want to, not
> because they dare not do otherwise; i.e., lifelong commitment fosters fuller
> human growth if the partners choose to grow.

And of course this gets back to the head of the article:  why must the
so-called best path be chosen always?

> Love given freely, by choice
> (as in the second case) is far better than love given from fear of loss (as
> in the first case); indeed, fear-based "love" probably couldn't be called
> love at all.

I'm not quite sure what planet you come from anymore Jeff.  If you see
a relationship in such a negative way, if you see it as "If I don't love
her she'll leave me so I'd better love her or else", you make it sound like
it's some kind of ordeal loving this person.  If it's so hard to offer that
person love, if you make such a big deal out of it that you see it as
hard work, then perhaps you don't really love this person at all.

> Perhaps this "until we don't feel like it" isn't your particular approach
> to marriage, but it is that of a fair number of people nowadays; I'm just
> pointing out that while they may think they are freer by not committing
> themselves for life, they're actually less free.

I don't see how you reach that conclusion.
--
"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day
 to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human