[net.religion.christian] sense of humor

clark@grdian.DEC (Dave Clark, 283-6322) (08/15/85)

>	... I incline to the view that these two
>incompatible passages are put there precisely to show us that
>we cannot take Scripture to be literally true down to the last
>irrelevant detail.  Of course, this theory requires one to
>suppose that Somebody Up There has a sense of humor ...
>
>Chris
>
>--
>Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
>UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh
>US Mail:    MS 313; Perkin-Elmer; 106 Apple St; Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
>Phone:      (201) 758-7288

Interesting theory.  Now, exactly *how much* should I take literally?  I
can't be sure?  Oh yes, we shouldn't rely on Scripture, we should rely on
faith.  Everyone, simply BELIEVE.  You believe what you want, I believe what
I want ... a mighty Kingdom of God on Earth, united for His Purpose ....

I'm sooooo confuuuuuuuuuuuuuuused.

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (08/16/85)

>>	... I incline to the view that these two
>>incompatible passages are put there precisely to show us that
>>we cannot take Scripture to be literally true down to the last
>>irrelevant detail.  Of course, this theory requires one to
>>suppose that Somebody Up There has a sense of humor ...
>>
>Interesting theory.  Now, exactly *how much* should I take literally?
>I'm sooooo confuuuuuuuuuuuuuuused.

Of course God has a sense of humor. He created people, didn't he? :-)
--
      -m-------     Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D, Pyramid Technology
    ---mmm-----     P.O. Box 7295, Mountain View, CA 94039   415/965-7200

purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) (08/18/85)

In article <3661@decwrl.UUCP> clark@grdian.DEC (Dave Clark, 283-6322) writes:
[Christopher Henrich]
>>	... I incline to the view that these two
>>incompatible passages are put there precisely to show us that
>>we cannot take Scripture to be literally true down to the last
>>irrelevant detail.  Of course, this theory requires one to
>>suppose that Somebody Up There has a sense of humor ...

[Dave]
>Interesting theory.  Now, exactly *how much* should I take literally?  I
>can't be sure?  Oh yes, we shouldn't rely on Scripture, we should rely on
>faith.  Everyone, simply BELIEVE.  You believe what you want, I believe what
>I want ... a mighty Kingdom of God on Earth, united for His Purpose ....
>
>I'm sooooo confuuuuuuuuuuuuuuused.

    I don't know exactly which passages Chris was refering to, but there
are many incompatible passages. I tend to think that the Bible is a good
outline for behaviour (love the Lord your God with all your heart and
love your neighbor as yourself) but I think that some people go too far
and make the Bible the main (or worse) the only guide for their life.
Christ himself reprimanded the Jews for looking in the scripture to try
and find life. Our life is in God. If we follow the two above commands,
(which I believe sums up everything that we are commanded to do by God)
and then spend a lot of time with God getting to know him, I think that
he will lead each of us, showing us what he wants us to do, what is best
for us to do, and giving us not only what we need but what we want.

	cheers -

	elizabeth g. purtell

	(Lady Godiva)

In article <1805@reed.UUCP> purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) writes:
>[Christopher Henrich]
>Of course, this theory requires one to
>suppose that Somebody Up There has a sense of humor ...

   In my last article I forgot to add that of course I think that god
has a sense of humour. We were made in his image and we (well, most of
us) do, and it's considered a very good and healthy thing to have a
sense of humour. Why shouldn't God?

	cheers -

	elizabeth g. purtell

	(Lady Godiva)

clark@grdian.DEC (Dave Clark, 283-6322) (08/20/85)

>In article <1805@reed.UUCP> purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) writes:
>>[Christopher Henrich]
>>Of course, this theory requires one to
>>suppose that Somebody Up There has a sense of humor ...
>
>   In my last article I forgot to add that of course I think that god
>has a sense of humour. We were made in his image and we (well, most of
>us) do, and it's considered a very good and healthy thing to have a
>sense of humour. Why shouldn't God?
>
>	cheers -
>
>	elizabeth g. purtell
>
>	(Lady Godiva)
It's also considered a very good and healthy thing to not destroy humans who
disagree with your ideology - we don't, why should God?