[net.religion.christian] Contemporary Theology and its flight from the church.

gary@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (gary w buchholz) (08/19/85)

>From: rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob])

>Gary concludes his long and learned essay trashing confessional
>theology as follows:

>>Christianity will survive but only in popular form in church backyards
>>at ice-cream socials and rummage sales - in short, in purely social
>>forms and contexts.  The historic theological tradition is elsewhere
>>wanting nothing to do with ice-cream or used clothes.  To "us" the
>>former is "heresy", worse, it is apathy, and still worse it is a
>>denial, betrayal and noncommitment to the historic Christian tradition
>>post-Reformation.  Secular theologians in the modern world are the true
>>inheritors of historic Christian theological tradition.
>>

>I think you're painting a stereotype that has validity for some of the
>stale and dead churches and denominations.

    I would want to treat theology as any other academic discipline and
    as such, the discipline does not allow "just anyone" to "walk in
    off the street" and participate as a full member.  The price of
    admission is much higher than that.

    How many years does one attend medical school before one is qualified
    to be a doctor ?  How many years of study does it take to pass the
    bar and become a lawyer ?  Is theology any different ?  Christian
    theology has a 2000 year history - is this any less a body of
    knowledge and tradition than either medicine or law ?

    What is the church ?  An association of "doctors" that never went to
    medical school, or "lawyers" that never attended law school ?  How
    can they claim for themselves these 'titles' having never devoted
    any serious study to those disciplines that would allow them to
    rightfully claim these titles for themselves ?

    The church is a paradox.  It is an association of people calling
    themselves doctors and lawyers selling snake oil and rhetoric.  Is
    it any wonder why professional theological societies want nothing
    to do with the church ?

    Is this anything new ?  Not at all.  In 1806 Friedrich
    Schleiermacher(called the father of modern theology) in his book
    "On Religion: speeches to its cultured despisers" in defense of the
    Christian religion *against* the church writes this: (p 157-58)

"...This at least is certain, that all truely religious men, as many as
there ever have been, ... have all known how to estimate the church,
commonly so-called, at about its true value, which is to say, not
particularly high.
  <the church> ... is very far from being a society of religious men.
It is only an association of persons who are but seeking religion, and
it seems to me natural that, in almost every respect, it should be the
counterpart of the true church <true Christianity / Schleiermachers
theology>
  ...They <people in church> cannot be spoken of as wishing to complete
their religion... for if they had any religion of their own, it would,
by necessity of its nature, show itself in some way...  They exercise
no reaction because they are capable of none; and they can only be
incapable because they have no religion.... I would say that they are
negatively religious, and press in great crowds to the few points where
they suspect the positive principle of religion... In entire passivity
they simply suffer the impressions on their organs.
  ...In few words this is the history of their religious life and the
character of the  social inclination that runs through it.  Not
religion, but a little sense for it, and a painful, lamentably
fruitless endeavor to reach it, are all that can be ascribed even to
the best of them, even those who show both spirit and zeal"

    What S. writes here in 1806 as regards the relation of
    theology/theologians to the church is reflected throughout the
    theological tradition to the present day.  My quote of Altizer as
    regards a church theology being impossible and the impossibility of
    returning to the bible is simply the latest instantiation of S.
    remarks here articulated by the (theological) tradition in 1985.

    It's simply a matter of paying dues.  People in church don't pay the
    "dues" that professional theologians think they ought to pay and
    therefore professional theology wants nothing to do with the church
    and those people therein that *call themselves* "Christians".

    Do you blame them ?

>However, the social scope...
>that you present is rather limited.  The sick are being healed, the
>hungry are being fed, the naked clothed, the prisoners visited, ...,

    If you are sick, seek a secular doctor (preferably one who has
    gone to medical school).  Secular rock music feeds the hungry.
    Secular humanists will visit the prisoners.

>and the Good News is being preached.

    But having no effect in getting people out of church into theology
    schools, divinity schools, or seminary.  You all still sit there
    and "suffer impressions on your organs".  Whats the problem ?

>Yes, there is some time for ice cream too.

   I'll pass.  Thats not a criticism of ice-cream but the company.

>I admonish you Gary that you walk humbly with your
>treasure of knowledge ( you do indeed exhibit great intellectual
>skill).  The lessons for today are "Pride goes before destruction and
>a haughty spirit before a fall." and "God resists the proud but gives
>grace to the humble."

   Don't make total ignorance of the historic Christian theological
   tradition a Christian virtue.  One can be proud and have a haughty
   spirit if one is in possession of the tradition and can move the
   Christian symbols with ease.

>Or does God even fit into Post-Everything Theology ??

   The successor discipline to traditional theology does have a name.
   The name is written thus ->   A/theology
   It is a triple-play on words and situates the problem precisely.
   The question of post-modern theological thought is the status of
   the boundry signified by the "/'.

>Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

   In all honesty I must say that the church looks as silly to
   professional theology as it would look to the AMA if a group
   of people having no medical education whatsoever were to meet
   on a weekly basis to chart the future course of "medicine".

   What these "doctors" perceive as "medicine" is, by the
   standards of the profession, no more medicine than witchcraft
   and voodoo magic practiced by witchdoctors.  The extrapolation
   of the analogy to Christianity and the church are exact.

   If you have no theological talent - then don't bother.  As in
   the case of medicine, the profession is best served by eliminating
   those people who show no promise.  To paraphrase Schleiermacher, the
   church is the site of those who "wanting to be" have utterly failed.

  Gary

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (08/20/85)

Well, I've known some who have paid their dues in seminary and
I'm glad to say that they don't all indulge in the inellectual
snobbery that Gary does.  I've never seen a better example of a
modern day Pharasee.  The gaurdians of truth are those who have
paid their dues in the study of modern theology.  Salvation belongs
to the "educated".  And people chide fundamentalists for acting
like they have a corner on spiritual truth!  Pigheadedness seems
respectable if you've studied at the right seminary.

Gary likens the craft of theology to secular professions like
law and medicine.  I suppose we should have a requirement that
ministers be licensed by the state too?  Doctors and lawyers deal
with fairly objective and technical goals with regard to their
clients.  Apparently Gary views the obtaining of knowledge of God in
a similar light.  Could you describe that goal, Gary?  I don't think
you'll get much help from Schleiermacher there.  You seem
to espouse ideas similar to those of Harvey Cox in "The Secular
City" but also seem to fall into the trap (Cox himself warned about)
of championing "secularism".  (Cox distinguised between the terms
"secular" and "secularism"; maybe not too adaquately).

One thing I couldn't figure out about Cox's book is:  What use
does the secular city have for secular theologians?  Cox seems to
have spent all his time importing theology into the secular world.
Surely "secular man" can get along fine without the theological trappings.

The only use I can see that secular society has for secular theology
is clerical hedge against the criticism of more conservative Christians
like the fundamentalists and evangelicals.  The liberal "secular"
theologians are the flatterers of secular society and society does
not exile its flatterers.  Once the usefulness of the clerical hedge
is past, however, I'd expect secular theology to quickly fade from
existance itself.  It's basis for authority is in secular society
itself.  It has no basis for authority from which it may criticize
that society that I can see.

Adults, for all their maturity, often learn important lessons
from their children.  So it is that I find some of the most
"theologically crude" Christians display more evidence of having
internalized the character of Christ than the most learned
theologians.  As long as today's modern theologians act as if their
heady knowlege is all that applies to the biblical concept of
truth, they are going to fail to learn some important lessons.  Truth
has as much to do with personal integrity (of God or persons) as
it does with true or false propositions, maybe even more so.

--

Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

In article <1008@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> Gary w Buchholz writes:

>    I would want to treat theology as any other academic discipline and
>    as such, the discipline does not allow "just anyone" to "walk in
>    off the street" and participate as a full member.  The price of
>    admission is much higher than that.

>    How many years does one attend medical school before one is qualified
>    to be a doctor ?  How many years of study does it take to pass the
>    bar and become a lawyer ?  Is theology any different ?  Christian
>    theology has a 2000 year history - is this any less a body of
>    knowledge and tradition than either medicine or law ?

This analogy doesn't inpress me.  I think a much better analogy would be to
mathematics or composition.  People in general need to know very little about
medicine or law; arithmetic and grammar they use every day.  People live
their religion every day, whatever they know of it.

>    What is the church ?  An association of "doctors" that never went to
>    medical school, or "lawyers" that never attended law school ?  How
>    can they claim for themselves these 'titles' having never devoted
>    any serious study to those disciplines that would allow them to
>    rightfully claim these titles for themselves ?

On the day when the only theology of Jesus is one which belongs only to
theologians and priests, on that day, Christianity will cease to exist.  One
thing which is becoming clear to me is that Gary's A/theology quite explicitly
denies an old Protestant doctrine: the preisthood of all believers.  This
comes quite in the face of all the mystics through the years who called
directly to God, and (to their ears) were answered.  If Jesus has any real
power in the world, then there is no surer death for him than binding him up
in an elite of disbelievers.

>    The church is a paradox.  It is an association of people calling
>    themselves doctors and lawyers selling snake oil and rhetoric.  Is
>    it any wonder why professional theological societies want nothing
>    to do with the church ?

Which church? and which theologians?  Does Chicago not listen to Boston? or
Duke? or Sewanee?  or Canterbury?

>    Is this anything new ?  Not at all.  In 1806 Friedrich
>    Schleiermacher(called the father of modern theology) in his book
>    "On Religion: speeches to its cultured despisers" in defense of the
>    Christian religion *against* the church writes this: (p 157-58)

>"...This at least is certain, that all truely religious men, as many as
>there ever have been, ... have all known how to estimate the church,
>commonly so-called, at about its true value, which is to say, not
>particularly high.
>  <the church> ... is very far from being a society of religious men.
>It is only an association of persons who are but seeking religion, and
>it seems to me natural that, in almost every respect, it should be the
>counterpart of the true church <true Christianity / Schleiermachers
>theology>
>  ...They <people in church> cannot be spoken of as wishing to complete
>their religion... for if they had any religion of their own, it would,
>by necessity of its nature, show itself in some way...  They exercise
>no reaction because they are capable of none; and they can only be
>incapable because they have no religion.... I would say that they are
>negatively religious, and press in great crowds to the few points where
>they suspect the positive principle of religion... In entire passivity
>they simply suffer the impressions on their organs.
>  ...In few words this is the history of their religious life and the
>character of the  social inclination that runs through it.  Not
>religion, but a little sense for it, and a painful, lamentably
>fruitless endeavor to reach it, are all that can be ascribed even to
>the best of them, even those who show both spirit and zeal"

>    What S. writes here in 1806 as regards the relation of
>    theology/theologians to the church is reflected throughout the
>    theological tradition to the present day.  My quote of Altizer as
>    regards a church theology being impossible and the impossibility of
>    returning to the bible is simply the latest instantiation of S.
>    remarks here articulated by the (theological) tradition in 1985.

Soren Kierkegaard attacked the church in much the same way, on much the same
grounds; yet he embraced the reality of Jesus and the Bible.

The words of Schleiermacher sound to me to be perilously close to those of an
intellectual snob.

>    It's simply a matter of paying dues.  People in church don't pay the
>    "dues" that professional theologians think they ought to pay and
>    therefore professional theology wants nothing to do with the church
>    and those people therein that *call themselves* "Christians".

>    Do you blame them ?

YES!  It sounds very much like the justifications of Libertarianism.
Everything is worked out very neatly, with great faith and confidence.
And yet, even with my very distant exposure to poverty and need, the
whole thing feels unreal to me.  I get the feeling that the proponents
have no feeling for the common people their schemes would affect.  I
get this same feeling from much of modern theology.

>   In all honesty I must say that the church looks as silly to
>   professional theology as it would look to the AMA if a group
>   of people having no medical education whatsoever were to meet
>   on a weekly basis to chart the future course of "medicine".

How unfortunate that the body lives without our volition or knowledge, unlike
our religious life, which perforce must be forcibly bound up in our wills.

>   What these "doctors" perceive as "medicine" is, by the
>   standards of the profession, no more medicine than witchcraft
>   and voodoo magic practiced by witchdoctors.  The extrapolation
>   of the analogy to Christianity and the church are exact.

They are much more like writers who must write, even though they have no
hope of writing Shakespeare.  Liveing is something the body does, regardless
of our understanding.  Religion is something we must will ourselves, and so
is dependent upon our understanding.  The a/religion Gary is talking about
seems destined to wither and fall off of the church, because it is no
religion at all for anyone who cannot afford the luxury of seminary.

>   If you have no theological talent - then don't bother.  As in
>   the case of medicine, the profession is best served by eliminating
>   those people who show no promise.  To paraphrase Schleiermacher, the
>   church is the site of those who "wanting to be" have utterly failed.

Those of you who read the Gospels should not need to be reminded of Jesus'
attacks upon the scribes.  I think Gary might want to reconsider who is the
unmarked tomb.

Charley Wingate

     The wind blows where it pleases....

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (08/22/85)

I guess I am more than a little appalled by the tone (and some of the
content) of Gary's latest article.  If theology is not, as Anselm claimed,
"faith seeking understanding", if it does not work in service to the People
of God, what then, do you have left?  Not much, except a dessicated,
inbred, and essentially secular discipline qualifying for the name "theology"
only through historical accident.  "Faith seeking understanding" only is
meaningful if there is a faith from which to begin, and of course, that
faith comes through the Church.

Churchmen seem to go their own way and theologians another; if anything,
this is the perennial fate of the two groups ("can't live with 'em, can't
live without 'em", both sides say.) And, indeed, though theologians are the
best qualified to concern themselves with matters theological, I get the
distinct impression that Gary sees theologians as the High Priests of the
One True Church, rather than key participants in the interpretation of
faith for the Church at large, through which their efforts are fully
realized.

Finally, it is not completely out of order to note that Gary's response
to Bob is lacking in several virtues traditionally considered Christian.
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (08/23/85)

In article <1008@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> gary@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (gary w buchholz) writes:

>    I would want to treat theology as any other academic discipline and
>    as such, the discipline does not allow "just anyone" to "walk in
>    off the street" and participate as a full member.  The price of
>    admission is much higher than that.
>
>    How many years does one attend medical school before one is qualified
>    to be a doctor ?  How many years of study does it take to pass the
>    bar and become a lawyer ?  Is theology any different ?  Christian
>    theology has a 2000 year history - is this any less a body of
>    knowledge and tradition than either medicine or law ?
>
>    What is the church ?  An association of "doctors" that never went to
>    medical school, or "lawyers" that never attended law school ?  How
>    can they claim for themselves these 'titles' having never devoted
>    any serious study to those disciplines that would allow them to
>    rightfully claim these titles for themselves ?
>
>    The church is a paradox.  It is an association of people calling
>    themselves doctors and lawyers selling snake oil and rhetoric.  Is
>    it any wonder why professional theological societies want nothing
>    to do with the church ?
>

>   In all honesty I must say that the church looks as silly to
>   professional theology as it would look to the AMA if a group
>   of people having no medical education whatsoever were to meet
>   on a weekly basis to chart the future course of "medicine".
>
>   What these "doctors" perceive as "medicine" is, by the
>   standards of the profession, no more medicine than witchcraft
>   and voodoo magic practiced by witchdoctors.  The extrapolation
>   of the analogy to Christianity and the church are exact.
>
>   If you have no theological talent - then don't bother.  As in
>   the case of medicine, the profession is best served by eliminating
>   those people who show no promise.  To paraphrase Schleiermacher, the
>   church is the site of those who "wanting to be" have utterly failed.
>

>  Gary

   You are absolutely right, Gary. The "church" has no right to claim
   equality with professional theologans. They are as different as
   night and day! Why, the church is made up of illiterate carpentars,
   fisherman, tax collectors, and farmers. Who do these untrained men think
   they are, anyway. Why, one of them even spoke of some silly Spirit coming
   that would guide them into all truth. Oh Brother! Imagine claiming that
   having a Spirit within you is better than being taught by learned men.

   On the other hand, these professional theologans have truly arrived.
   There is nothing like historical traditional teachings to keep the
   religious tone to society. Look what a good job the Pharisees did!

   So disregard what the scriptures say about some people having the gift
   of teaching, which comes only through the indwelling Holy Spirit. Just
   keep listening to those learned and dignified Neo Orthodox with all
   the answers. Don't let those church people fool you with this old
   familiar phrase:

   The Letter kills but the Spirit gives life!

					       Dan

vek@allegra.UUCP (Van Kelly) (08/26/85)

In article <387@scgvaxd.UUCP> dan@scgvaxd.UUCP writes:

>   So disregard what the scriptures say about some people having the gift
>   of teaching, which comes only through the indwelling Holy Spirit. Just
>   keep listening to those learned and dignified Neo Orthodox with all
>   the answers. Don't let those church people fool you with this old
>   familiar phrase:
>
>   The Letter kills but the Spirit gives life!
>

>					       Dan

Just a small point, but you should get the name of your poison right.
Historically, Neo-Orthodoxy has had, if anything, less similarity with
Gary's position (and Schleiermacher's) than with your own views (if
you can believe that).  I know that Neo-Orthodoxy is something of
a general cussword for all theological wishy-washiness by some of our
more -- er -- flamboyant champions of theological conservativism, but
it is jarringly incorrect here.  Gary is anything but an ersatz-moderate
wishy-washy.

To cut matters a little closer, I wouldn't even equate Gary's views
with those of "liberal-mainline" theologians in general, although he does
speak for an apallingly large segment of them.  I know of a few "liberal"
theologians who enjoy constructive and open-minded dialog with their
evangelical counterparts, and who espouse (at least in public) a much
more humble attitude toward the theological task than Gary seems to
intend. (Krister Stendahl of Harvard comes to mind as an example).  But
then again, maybe their more radical colleagues would just consider them
to be incurably infected with neo-orthodoxy! :-)

Van E. Kelly
allegra!vek

(All opinions expressed in the foregoing are my own and do not reflect
those of my employer. blah blah blah...)