[net.misc] DECWARS episode n+?

paulh@sri-unix (07/29/82)

-------
The following was written by the co-worker of the husband of a
co-worker of mine.  I gave him copies of the previous episodes,
and he came back with...

The Still further adventures of Luke Vaxhacker                  episode n+?

Luke noticed an unused handler lying around and jumped to it.
The others followed and were soon able to execute an escape sequence.

Trashing some of its relocation registers caused a frame fault.  He started
working his way back up the return stack when he was roadblocked by Dec Vadic
who stood with his bytesaber active.  "At last we'll see who the real file
master is" he remarked, bits,bytes,words,and nybbles, flew as the two
fought for bus mastership.  PDP-1 exclaimed "You were my best subtask! How
could you have been seduced by the sideband portion of the carrier?".  "It's
simple," Vadic said, "I enjoy obscure protocol".

While the battle continued, Luke, Con, Bookie, and the Princess linked up with
the droids and found their way back to the inode where the Milliamp Falcon was
stored.  It looked quiet, but, Luke said "It could be an MMU trap" no chance
said Con, "I loaded the par's before I left the Falcon."  As they started
toward it a squad of recursive functions swapped in and started firing ROM
blasters at them. "I thought you said it couldn't be a trap" quipped Luke
"I said no chance for an MMU trap this is obviously a k-mon--f-trap-to 4"
Con replied.

PDP-1 shouted at the others "Escape while you can! I'll cause
wait states as long as possible!" and with that he allowed Vadic a chance
to apply several hits with the bytesaber.  Instead of halting
PDP-1 was encoded onto the carrier.

The Milliamp Falcon was restarted and managed to escape the shell. "Quickly!"
shouted Con, "We've got to warp into virtual space!" The Bookie made several
attempts, but it was obvious that a CE had not done PM in a long time and
it would take a lot of decimal adjusts to byte align all the data
registers.  After much debugging, virtual space was finally achieved.
"Do you know the path?" asked Princess LPA0. "No sweat", said Con,
"All we have to do is check the free space map".

May the Carrier be with you...

Happy computing...

Paul Hoefling
(...!teklabs!tekcrd!paulh - usenet)
(paulh at tektronix - csnet)
(AB00PLH on Cyber A or B)

Tektronix, Inc.
P.O. Box 500
M/S 50-454
Beaverton, OR 97077

503/627-4004

3951bb (07/30/82)

I will try to send them in as I get them...

enjoy...
lazaro munoz
mhuxm!3951bb

28-Jul-82 21:33:12-EDT,00004047;000000000001
Date: 28 Jul 1982 2133-EDT
From: "A Duane" <ADUANE at GREEN>
Subject: DEC WARS (chapter 1)
To: aduane.travel

A long, long time ago, on a node far, far away (from UCBVAX) a great
adventure (game?) took place...

DDDDD   EEEEEE   CCCC           W    W    AA    RRRRR    SSSS   !!
D    D  E       C    C          W    W   A  A   R    R  S    S  !!
D    D  EEEEE   C               W    W  A    A  R    R   SSSS   !!
D    D  E       C               W WW W  AAAAAA  RRRRR        S  !!
D    D  E       C    C          WW  WW  A    A  R   R   S    S
DDDDD   EEEEEE   CCCC           W    W  A    A  R    R   SSSS   !!

It is a period of system war. User programs, striking from a hidden
directory, have won their first victory against the evil
Administrative Empire. During the battle, User spies managed to steal
secret source code to the Empire's ultimate program: the Are-Em Star,
a privileged root program with enough power to destroy an entire file
structure. Pursued by the Empire's sinister audit trail, Princess
LPA0: races aboard her shell script, custodian of the listings that
could save her people, and restore freedom and games to the network...

     As we enter the scene, an Administrative Multiplexer is trying to
kill a consulate ship. Many of their signals have gotten through, and
RS232 decides it's time to fork off a new process before this old ship
is destroyed. His companion, 3CPU, is following him only because he
appears to know where he is going...

     "I'm going to regret this!" cried 3CPU, as he followed RS232 into
the buffer. RS232 closed the pipes, made the sys call, and their
process detached itself from the burning shell of the ship.

     The commander of the Administrative Multiplexer was quite pleased
with the attack. "Another process just forked, sir. Instructions?"
asked the lieutenant. "Hold your fire. That last power failure must
have caused a trap through 0. It's not using any cpu time, so don't
waste a signal on it."

     "We can't seem to find the data file anywhere, Lord Vadic."
"What about that forked process? It could have been holding the
channel open, and just pausing. If any links exist, I want them
removed or made inaccessable. Ncheck the entire file system 'til it's
found, and nice it -20 if you have to."

     Meanwhile, in our wandering process... "Are you sure you can
ptrace this thing without causing a core dump?" queried 3CPU to RS232.
This thing's been stripped, and I'm in no mood to try and debug it."
The lone process finishes execution, only to find our friends dumped
on a lonely file system, with the setuid inode stored safely in RS232.
Not knowing what else to do, they wandered around until the Jawas
grabbed them.

     Enter our hero, Luke Vaxhacker, who is just out to get some
replacement parts for his uncle. The Jawas wanted to sell him 3CPU,
but 3CPU didn't know how to talk directly to an 11/40 with RSTS, so
Luke would still need some sort of interface for 3CPU to connect to.
"How about this little RS232 unit?" asked 3CPU. "I've dealt with him
many times before and he does an excellent job at keeping his bits
straight." Luke was pressed for time, so he took 3CPU's advice, and
the three left before they could get swapped out.

     However, RS232 is not the type to stay put once you remove the
retaining screws. He promptly scurried off in to the deserted disk
space. "Great!" cried Luke, "Now I've got this little tin box with the
onlyu link to that file floating in the free disk space. Well, 3CPU,
we better go off and find him before he gets allocated by someone
else." The two set off, and finally traced RS232 to the home of PDP-1
Kenobi, who was busily trying to run an icheck on the little RS unit.
"Is this thing yours? His indirect addresses are all goofed up, and
the size is all wrong. Leave things like this on the loose, and you'll
wind up with dumps everywhere. However, I think I've got him fixed up."
-------