[net.religion.christian] To Paul Zimmerman

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Beth Christy) (09/06/85)

	[G'head eat me, the brackets were dipped in bug-killer]

From: pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman), Message-ID: <321@pyuxn.UUCP>:
>I would think that part of the reason that they think of it as a
>virtue is because God has infused into them the belief that faith is a
>positive thing. In so doing, God has ensured his perpetuation in their
>minds, since faith is the absence of a desire to ask questions and seek
>knowledge. And asking questions and seeking knowledge would lead to a
>realization about what God really is.

Hmmm, well here I'm going to challenge your claim that you base your
position on objective evidence.  It's well documented, if not well
understood, that terminally ill patients have a much higher chance of
living longer, or perhaps even beating their illness entirely, if they
have a strong will to live, if they have *faith* that they'll make it.
Whether they have faith in their own strength, or in their doctors, or
in God seems to be irrelevant - but the faith itself is crucial.  Many
job-hunting guides strongly advocate thinking positively about yourself
before you enter an interview, having *faith*.  Whether it's faith in
yourself that you can control the interview, faith that the interviewer
will be able to see your competence, or faith that God will get you the
job, faith itself can significantly increase your chances of being
offered a job.  Conversely, patients who firmly believe that they'll
die soon and job-hunters who are certain they'll never get a job are
also affected by their faiths, but in a negative way.  Faith is a real
emotion and can have very real effects.  Whether the effects are
positive or negative depends only on what you have faith in.  That much
is true and well-documented.

Now look at the God of the New Testament.  God is advocating, above all,
faith, which we've just demonstrated is an effective tool.  And what is
God advocating faith in?  In an eternal, all-encompassing love.  In a
community of ultimate joy, which, no matter what else you may do, you
will surely be a part of if only you keep the *faith* ("no man shall
enter the kingdom of god except by faith"...or words to that effect,
anyway).  The New Testament is telling us to use this powerful tool and
focus it on something totally, ultimately positive, and it'll get us
through.  And, based on objective evidence, I'd say it's right.  Faith
in a positive outcome helps cancer patients, it helps job applicants,
and it helps Christians and Buddhists and ... and even atheists get thru
hard times.  I don't think it matters how you structure the faith,
whether you have faith in God or in yourself or in others.  As long as
you truly believe there's something better coming, some reason to make
it, and that somebody somewhere has the strength to pull you thru.

The fact that the New Testament stresses this truth proves to me that
it was not written with evil intent.  The fact that you're trying to
"enlighten" people, that you're asking people to give up their faiths
in something so positive concerns me.  They may really have faith in
things that don't exist - but *it doesn't matter*.  Even cancer
patients who really Are going to die at least live longer when they
have faith.  Their faith is a help, and we all need any help we can
get - you shouldn't try to make them give it up.

My personal opinion?  I don't know whether or not a god exists, but if
it does, it isn't an omnipotent one.  It has to work within the rules
too.  But somebody, god or not, cared enough about humans to try to
help us get through the tough times that nobody, not even a god, can
prevent.  So they told us to believe that there was goodness and love,
to keep the faith in something positive, something that loves uncondi-
tionally and always has the power to get you thru.  And even if
there's really nothing else like that, the faith itself is like that.
And it helps.

--

--JB       (Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)

		"Oh yeah, P.S.,
		 I...I feel...feel like...I am
		 in a burning building
		 And I gotta go."            (Laurie Anderson)