[net.religion.christian] Religious question

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/31/85)

Please reply in mail, I don't get this group.

From a Trivial Pursuit card:

	(H) Whose birth does the doctrine of Immaculate Conception concern?
	(A) The Virgin Mary's

I said "Jesus Christ". Now, am I wrong? If so, please tell me why. If I'm not
wrong how could these people get away with an error like that without being
flamed to death?

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (09/02/85)

> 	(H) Whose birth does the doctrine of Immaculate Conception concern?
> 	(A) The Virgin Mary's

This has been covered before, but Trivial Pursuit is correct.  According
to Catholic dogma, Mary was necessarily conceived without inheriting
Original Sin because of her role as the Mother of God.
"Immaculate Conception" != "Virgin Birth".
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer

bobhic@aluxe.UUCP (ADOLT) (09/03/85)

> > 	(H) Whose birth does the doctrine of Immaculate Conception concern?
> > 	(A) The Virgin Mary's
>
> This has been covered before, but Trivial Pursuit is correct.  According
> to Catholic dogma, Mary was necessarily conceived without inheriting
> Original Sin because of her role as the Mother of God.
> "Immaculate Conception" != "Virgin Birth".
> --
> /Steve Dyer
> {harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer
> sdyer@bbncc5.ARPA
I have before me a pamplet called "Teasers and Tests" from
Readers Digest, printed in 1967.  It has the same question
and the answer with an explaination.
"To whose conception does the "Immaculate Conception" refer?"
"Immaculate Conception" doctrine refers to the conception of
Mary, not Jesus.  Made an article of faith by Pope Pius IX
in 1854, it holds that "the Blessed Virgin Mary, from the
first instant of her conception, was, by a most singular
grace and privilege of Almighty God...preserved from all
stain of Original Sin."
Hope this helps to clear things up for you.
---------------------
Bob Adolt - Bell Labs - Allentown,PA
bobhic!aluxe

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (09/04/85)

In article <811@aluxe.UUCP> bobhic@aluxe.UUCP (ADOLT) writes:

>"Immaculate Conception" doctrine refers to the conception of
>Mary, not Jesus.  Made an article of faith by Pope Pius IX
>in 1854, it holds that "the Blessed Virgin Mary, from the
>first instant of her conception, was, by a most singular
>grace and privilege of Almighty God...preserved from all
>stain of Original Sin."

How did the Pope come to this conclusion?  Also, it seems to
be implied that Mary didn't commit any sins, otherwise she
would be stained with sin anyway. (yes? no?)  If so, it then
seems that she could have provided the sacrifice of someone
who was without sin just as well as Jesus could.  (Or was
the sacrificial person required to be male?)

The way I heard it, (no this isn't net.jokes!  :-)  ) was that
the "stain of Original Sin" was transmitted through the father,
thus Jesus could be free of sin 'merely' by means of the
virgin birth.  Mary was not required to be without sin.

Snoopy
tektronix!hammer!seifert

bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (09/06/85)

In article <hammer.1480> seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
>In article <811@aluxe.UUCP> bobhic@aluxe.UUCP (ADOLT) writes:
>
>>"Immaculate Conception" doctrine refers to the conception of
>>Mary, not Jesus.  Made an article of faith by Pope Pius IX
>>in 1854, it holds that "the Blessed Virgin Mary, from the
>>first instant of her conception, was, by a most singular
>>grace and privilege of Almighty God...preserved from all
>>stain of Original Sin."
>
>How did the Pope come to this conclusion?  Also, it seems to
>be implied that Mary didn't commit any sins, otherwise she
>would be stained with sin anyway. (yes? no?)  If so, it then
>seems that she could have provided the sacrifice of someone
>who was without sin just as well as Jesus could.  (Or was
>the sacrificial person required to be male?)
>
>The way I heard it, (no this isn't net.jokes!  :-)  ) was that
>the "stain of Original Sin" was transmitted through the father,
>thus Jesus could be free of sin 'merely' by means of the
>virgin birth.  Mary was not required to be without sin.
>
>Snoopy
>tektronix!hammer!seifert

The way a Pope makes a decision regarding the official doctrine of the RC
church is not well known.  Since the RC church relies more on tradition
than the Bible, the Pope can make up just about anything and pass it off as
church teaching.  The quaint notion of the "Immaculate Conception" is an example
of just such a teaching.  Nowhere in the Bible is there any indication that
Mary was without sin.  On the contrary, she cries out to God as one in need
of a Savior (c.f. Luke 1:46 ff).

The doctrine of the "Assumption" of Mary is another in point.  The RC church
teaches that after Mary died her body was taken to heaven before seeing
corruption and reunited with her soul.  A cute idea, but hardly biblical.

The RC church has used these and other heretical doctines about Mary to
justify its quasi-deification of her.

--
Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl

"That's the news from Lake Wobegon ... "

hedrick@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Hedrick) (09/07/85)

> ..  Since the RC church relies more on tradition
> than the Bible, the Pope can make up just about anything and pass it off as
> church teaching.  The quaint notion of the "Immaculate Conception" is an
> example of just such a teaching.  Nowhere in the Bible is there any
> indication ...
>
> The RC church has used these and other heretical doctines about Mary to
> justify its quasi-deification of her.

I hate to defend the Pope, since I basically agree that these
doctrines are ill-conceived.  However I would like to reassure people
that not all Protestants are quite as rabid as this response might
suggest.  It is true that there is no formal way to prevent a Pope
from creating a crazy doctrine out of whole cloth and declaring it
infallible.  However none have yet done so, and the whole theory
behind Papal infallability is that they will not.  Let me be clear:
the doctrines may have been crazy.  What I am objecting to is the
suggestion that the Pope creates them out of thin air and imposes them
on his Church.  Even a Protestant may have enough faith in the
Spirit's presence in Rome to believe that they won't get a Pope who is
that arrogant.  In fact, varying degrees of veneration of Mary are
apparent in documents going back to the earliest centuries of the
Church.  As I understand it, when the Pope made the Immaculate
Conception an official dogma, there had been a groundswell of demand
for it throughout his church.  Some of us may think that ill-informed
popular piety won out over carefully considered theology, but if so,
that will not be the first time this has happened, nor are all
occurences limited to the Roman church.  I would like to reserve the
word "heresy" for things that strike at the heart of Christian
doctine.  I don't think it is deserved in this case.  There is nothing
heretical about the claim that some human being was sinless.  Plenty
of Protestants (e.g. John Wesley) have believed that it is possible
for a Christian (other than Christ himself) to be perfect.  I think
the idea that sin is passed on via the sexual act (and this seems to
be underlying the Immaculate Conception, as well as various other
modern Roman ideas) is a dangerous one.  It fits in all too well with
the ideas of women as second-class citizens and sex as allowable only
for procreation (ideas which do border on the heretical).  But it
seems to be going a bit far to claim that the Immaculate Conception in
itself is heretical.  Christians would do well not to go around
calling each other heretics without the most careful deliberation.

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (09/08/85)

> I think
> the idea that sin is passed on via the sexual act (and this seems to
> be underlying the Immaculate Conception, as well as various other
> modern Roman ideas) is a dangerous one.  It fits in all too well with
> the ideas of women as second-class citizens and sex as allowable only
> for procreation (ideas which do border on the heretical).

Excuse me, Chuck, but this "modern Roman" notion of "concupiscence" in the
sexual act as being responsible for Original Sin in each person dates from
Augustine, and in fact was explicitly rejected by the Council of Trent
(though it still had currency among some Protestant Reformers.) It is
absurd, if not downright insulting, to hear Protestants lambast the RC
Church with creaky, contradictory allegations which have nothing whatsoever
to do with modern practice.

The dogma of Immaculate Conception lies more firmly on a particular notion
of Original Sin as a lack of "sanctifying grace", which in Mary's role as the
Mother of God, God would presumably not withhold.  As you mention, this
notion had appeared in the Church as early in the 15th century as a "pious
doctrine", though not much attention was given it until early in the 19th
century.

I suppose one may react with dismay to the promulgation of the two Marian
dogmas pronounced "excathedra", but we must realize that the mid-19th
century and even the 1950's are, theologically and ecclesiastically,
about as far away from the modern Church as, say, Augustine.  Anyway,
why are we arguing about Immaculate Conception when Mary's bodily
assumption into heaven (excathedra pronouncement 2) makes even Roman
Catholics embarassed? :-)
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer
sdyer@bbncc5.ARPA

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (09/08/85)

> It is true that there is no formal way to prevent a Pope
> from creating a crazy doctrine out of whole cloth and declaring it
> infallible.  However none have yet done so, and the whole theory
> behind Papal infallability is that they will not.

Of course, the ongoing assumption is that the Spirit working through the
Church would prevent anything like this from happening, but I have heard
theological speculation which would indicate that the Pope can make an
infallible pronouncement on faith and morals only insofaras the Church
receives it positively.  Which is to say that the pronouncement would be a
confirmation of what is presently accepted by the faithful and is consonant
with existing Church teaching.  I am sure that if a Pope ever went bonkers,
this speculation would become quickly become precedent.

I should also mention (Chuck Hedrick knows this, but Tom Albrecht obviously
does not) that there have only been two "infallible" pronouncements since
the doctrine of Papal infallibility was formally codified, the Marian
dogmas of the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption.  Ordinary preaching
by the Pope, even in the form of an encyclical, is not considered an
infallible pronouncement.
--

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (09/14/85)

In article <1480@hammer.UUCP> seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
>In article <811@aluxe.UUCP> bobhic@aluxe.UUCP (ADOLT) writes:
>
>>"Immaculate Conception" doctrine refers to the conception of
>>Mary, not Jesus.  Made an article of faith by Pope Pius IX
>>in 1854, it holds that "the Blessed Virgin Mary, from the
>>first instant of her conception, was, by a most singular
>>grace and privilege of Almighty God...preserved from all
>>stain of Original Sin."
>
>How did the Pope come to this conclusion?  Also, it seems to
>be implied that Mary didn't commit any sins, otherwise she
>would be stained with sin anyway. (yes? no?)  If so, it then
>seems that she could have provided the sacrifice of someone
>who was without sin just as well as Jesus could.  (Or was
>the sacrificial person required to be male?)

Pius IX came to this conclusion because by this time it was firmly
established in the tradition of the Catholic church.  The idea was
that one could inherit "stain" from either parent, and therefore it
was necessary to keep Mary, and in some versions, her entire female
progeniture, free of sin so she could not pass this on.

The sacrifice of one human without sin would presumably save one
human WITH sin.  However, Jesus was not merely human.  In any case
Mary was not chosen for the task, obviously.

Incidentally, I find the doctrine of Immaculate Conception to be
utterly unnecessary.  Mary, through her entire life, was a practicing,
sacrificing Jew, and her observance of the Covenant and concommitant
trust in the efficacy of the sacrifices held at the Temple would have
been sufficient to keep her ritually pure for the necessary period.

Part of the problem comes in the connection between "sin" and the
concept of ritual purity.  Apparently it was sufficient in the eyes
of G-d that one be ritually pure, to "handle" Holy things.
(Please correct me if I am mistaken in the following analysis.)
One could become ritually unclean by breaking the Law, or by touching
the wrong things.  As far as I can tell, Mary did neither thing, until
she gave birth; I seem to recall that there is a brief interval of ritual
impurity after giving birth because of the blood involved.  In any
case, it is not a sin to give birth or to be born, so the ritual impurity
would be alleviated in the usual fashion.

Concluding, any "burden of sin" Mary carried would have been adequately
alleviated through the standard methods; if it were necessary that she
remain "sinless" it would have been during the time she was pregnant;
any assertion that Mary was kept sinless from conception is not necessary.
It would have been just as easy, or easier, to keep any stain from Jesus
during His pre-infancy.  It is unfounded speculation to claim any such
thing for Mary; there is nothing in scripture to indicate any such opinion
on the part of the apostles, and the rise of the cult of the Virgin is
too easily tied to the simultaneous increasing prevalence of the notion of
Immaculate Conception.

Hutch

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (09/17/85)

"Immaculate Conception" is relative to the concept of "Original Sin",
alluded to by Paul, and fully developed by Augustine, with which each
person is born, and which is not "wiped clean" by observing ritual purity,
or for that matter by Justification.
--

susan@vaxwaller.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) (09/20/85)

> Incidentally, I find the doctrine of Immaculate Conception to be
> utterly unnecessary.  Mary, through her entire life, was a practicing,
> sacrificing Jew, and her observance of the Covenant and concommitant
> trust in the efficacy of the sacrifices held at the Temple would have
> been sufficient to keep her ritually pure for the necessary period.

What evidence is there for the above?  I really don't think that ritual
purity was the issue addressed by the Immaculate Conception anyway.
I would be interested in hearing more about that concept if it is truely
the origin of the doctrine.

> Part of the problem comes in the connection between "sin" and the
> concept of ritual purity.  Apparently it was sufficient in the eyes
> of G-d that one be ritually pure, to "handle" Holy things.
> (Please correct me if I am mistaken in the following analysis.)
> One could become ritually unclean by breaking the Law, or by touching
> the wrong things.  As far as I can tell, Mary did neither thing, until
> she gave birth; I seem to recall that there is a brief interval of ritual
> impurity after giving birth because of the blood involved.  In any
> case, it is not a sin to give birth or to be born, so the ritual impurity
> would be alleviated in the usual fashion.

She became unclean every time she had a period both before and after the
birth of her kid.  I doubt if she stopped handling him because of that.

> Hutch

  Susan Finkelman
	{zehntel,amd,fortune,resonex,rtech}!varian!susan

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (10/01/85)

In article <339@vaxwaller.UUCP> susan@vaxwaller.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) writes:

>> Incidentally, I find the doctrine of Immaculate Conception to be
>> utterly unnecessary.  Mary, through her entire life, was a practicing,
>> sacrificing Jew, and her observance of the Covenant and concommitant
>> trust in the efficacy of the sacrifices held at the Temple would have
>> been sufficient to keep her ritually pure for the necessary period.
>>
>What evidence is there for the above?  I really don't think that ritual
>purity was the issue addressed by the Immaculate Conception anyway.
>I would be interested in hearing more about that concept if it is truely
>the origin of the doctrine.

The dispute here comes to a question of whether ritual impurity equates
with sinfulness.  I am not at all sure.  There are some indications that
it does in that things identified as sins often resulted in ritual impurity.

I personally think of it in terms of the Christian doctrine of the sacrifice
of Jesus; the fact is that Paul of Tarsus, among other (Christian) trained
students of Jewish doctrine of that time, taught that the sacrifice of Jesus
made the sacrifices of animals unnecessary for the cleansing of sin.

If we postulate that the "weight of inherited sin" is kept from passing
to Jesus from Mary, then the only question is that she is "touching"
a Holy Thing.  If that is the case, then only her maintaining ritual
purity is really required, and that more for her than for her child.

>> Part of the problem comes in the connection between "sin" and the
>> concept of ritual purity.  Apparently it was sufficient in the eyes
>> of G-d that one be ritually pure, to "handle" Holy things.
>> (Please correct me if I am mistaken in the following analysis.)
>> One could become ritually unclean by breaking the Law, or by touching
>> the wrong things.  As far as I can tell, Mary did neither thing, until
>> she gave birth; I seem to recall that there is a brief interval of ritual
>> impurity after giving birth because of the blood involved.  In any
>> case, it is not a sin to give birth or to be born, so the ritual impurity
>> would be alleviated in the usual fashion.
>>
>She became unclean every time she had a period both before and after the
>birth of her kid.  I doubt if she stopped handling him because of that.

Actually, it is entirely possible that she DID, since touching an unclean
thing (at least in some instances) transfers that unclenliness; recall
that (at least during the Wandering) the women had to live apart from
the men during the unclean "period" (sorry, no pun intended).  There's
some possibility that, especially among the Essene sect, that women DID
live apart from the men during that time.

Besides, if the "burden of original sin" could be transmitted to any
child by any touch then the only way(s) to preserve Jesus from aquisition
of this burden would be by either miraculously arranging for Him to
never touch anyone, which is contradicted by the records, or by arranging
for every person He ever touched to be protected in the same way
that Mary was, which is also contradicted by the records.

It seems pretty clear that "Original Sin" is supposedly transmitted by
growing inside a sin-tainted human, anyway.

Hutch