[net.religion.christian] question regarding Christian Jew

funny@ihlpa.UUCP (g. anderson) (10/04/85)

Is there such a name as "Christian Jew"
a jewish person who believes in the
Son of God?

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (10/07/85)

Perhaps the contributors to n.r.j. could handle this
one for modern Jews, but certainly Peter, James, John,
et al. were Jews in good standing after the resurrection.
In fact the Book of Acts shows us that the Jewish Religious
Leaders of the day disciplined them for their "heresy" of
teaching and healing in the name of Jesus - i.e. they did
not kick them out and say "You are not Jews anymore."

However, if you mean can you be a Jew by being under the Law
and keeping the Law for your justification before God the
answer is emphatic...NO.  Christians are anti-nomian in that
respect in that we look to Jesus as the fulfillment of the
Law.  In fact He embodied all the Law in his greatest commandment
- the Shema ( of Israel) that we should love God with everything
we've got in us and the further admonition that we should love
our neighbor as ourselves.

A famous Jew (Saul of Tarsus) who became the Apostle Paul wrote
a significant letter to the Galatians which dealt in part about
this very subject.

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

homeier@aero.ARPA (Peter Homeier) (10/07/85)

 []

In article <820@ihlpa.UUCP> funny@ihlpa.UUCP (g. anderson) writes:
>Is there such a name as "Christian Jew"
>a jewish person who believes in the
>Son of God?

Certainly.  Other names that are used for the same idea are
"Messianic Jew" and "Completed Jew".  I prefer the term "Messianic
Jew" myself, as this is really what Christianity is all about,
being Judiasm with Jesus as the promised Messiah.

I think that it would be good for all of us to remember, who may not
have had a Jewish background, that Jesus came first for the Jews,
and only secondly for the rest of mankind.  It is too easy for us who
have come into new life in Christ to look down on the Jews.  But the
Word sets our hearts in order:

"What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have
obtained it, and the rest were hardened.  Just as it is written:

   'God has given them a spirit of stupor,
   Eyes that they should not see
   And ears that they should not hear,
   To this very day.'

And David says,

   'Let their table become a snare and a trap,
   A stumbling block and a recompense to them;
   Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see,
   And bow down their back always.'

I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall?  Certainly not!
But through their fall, to provoke them to jealosy, salvation has come
to the Gentiles.  Now if their fall is riches for the world, and their
failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness!

For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles,
I magnify my ministry, if by any means I may provoke to jealosy those
who are my flesh and save some of them.

For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will
their acceptance be but life from the dead?  For if the first fruit is holy,
the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches."

"Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning
the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers.  For the
gifts and the calling of God are irrevokable."

Romans 11:7-16,28-29.

There is a special blessing on those who have both the heritage of the
Jews and the faith in Christ.  I do not mean that God loves them more,
but there is truly a special blessing on them.  Christ came for them
first, and the Gentiles also.

--

Peter Homeier                                  ______
Arpanet:    homeier@aerospace                 / o    \_/

ric harris@fluke (10/08/85)

> Is there such a name as "Christian Jew"
> a jewish person who believes in the
> Son of God?

 Yes, there is, thru an organization called 'Jew's For Jesus`. If you
 are interested, I could supply you with an address. (of course they
 could believe in the Son of God without belonging to this group, but
 Jew's For Jesus is a group made up of born again jews trying to reach
 other jews) I hope this helps!.

                What you do with CHRIST now will determine

                     what GOD will do with you later.

             Think about it!    God Bless You ==> Ric Harris

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (10/08/85)

In article <820@ihlpa.UUCP> funny@ihlpa.UUCP (g. anderson) writes:
>Is there such a name as "Christian Jew"
>a jewish person who believes in the
>Son of God?

Depends on your point of view.  Most Orthodox Jews, I understand, would
say that if a Jew accepts Jesus as the Messiah, he has ceased being a
Jew.  On the other hand, I know several persons who consider themselves
both Christian and Jewish.  They take as their example most of the
New Testament Christians - Paul, Peter, and most of the rest were Jews
who accepted Jesus as the Son of God, their Savior.

		charli