[net.religion.christian] The horrifying Old Testament

katy@dicomed.UUCP (Kathleen Cornelson) (10/02/85)

I was raised in a Christian home and truly believed in a loving,
holy and good God. As I grew older my beliefs led me to read the
Bible, that I might "meditate on the word". As I read the Old
Testament I became more and more horrified. The many violent and
cruel acts which God demanded of his chosen people seem so
inconsistent with the gentle God I had been taught to believe in.

The "damager god" discussion so far has been a debate between
Christians and non. But I would like to open this discussion
strictly between believing Christians. How do you other
Christians deal with this. I don't really want to give up the
religion I grew up with, the God that I truly believe in, but is
the good and loving God that I believe in the same one
that they talk about in the Old Testament? I don't think I like
that God.

To quote my former roomate Faith:

"Maybe my parents should have named me Doubt!"

:

dave@circadia.UUCP (David Messer) (10/05/85)

> ... As I read the Old
> Testament I became more and more horrified. The many violent and
> cruel acts which God demanded of his chosen people seem so
> inconsistent with the gentle God I had been taught to believe in.

Perhaps they didn't teach you the whole story.  The way I have been
taught is that, although God is an all-loving god, He is also a Just
god; a god that demands justice for failure to uphold His laws.  Many
of the "cruel acts" in the Old Testament were the result of the Sins
of the people.

> ... but is
> the good and loving God that I believe in the same one
> that they talk about in the Old Testament? I don't think I like
> that God.

This sounds stronger than I want, but it is late and I can't think
of any other way to phrase it:  Who are you to judge the actions of
God?  As limited human beings, we can not know all the facts which
led up to the "cruel acts" in the Old Testiment.  Saying "I don't
think I like that God" is comparable to a child saying he hates his
parent because the parent won't let him do something he wants to do.

> "Maybe my parents should have named me Doubt!"

I think that doubt is a healthy attitude; as long as you keep an open
mind, I think that the Truth will win out in the end.
--

Dave Messer   ...ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!circadia!dave

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (10/08/85)

> > ... As I read the Old
> > Testament I became more and more horrified. The many violent and
> > cruel acts which God demanded of his chosen people seem so
> > inconsistent with the gentle God I had been taught to believe in.
>
> Perhaps they didn't teach you the whole story.  The way I have been
> taught is that, although God is an all-loving god, He is also a Just
> god; a god that demands justice for failure to uphold His laws.  Many
> of the "cruel acts" in the Old Testament were the result of the Sins
> of the people.
>
> > ... but is
> > the good and loving God that I believe in the same one
> > that they talk about in the Old Testament? I don't think I like
> > that God.
>
> This sounds stronger than I want, but it is late and I can't think
> of any other way to phrase it:  Who are you to judge the actions of
> God?  As limited human beings, we can not know all the facts which
> led up to the "cruel acts" in the Old Testiment.  Saying "I don't
> think I like that God" is comparable to a child saying he hates his
> parent because the parent won't let him do something he wants to do.

This can be turned around: How can you be sure that he is a "just" god
since as a "limited" human being you cannot know all the facts which
led up to the "cruel acts" in the old testiment?

Padraig Houlahan.

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (10/08/85)

>.... As I read the Old
>Testament I became more and more horrified. The many violent and
>cruel acts which God demanded of his chosen people seem so
>inconsistent with the gentle God I had been taught to believe in.
>.... How do you other
>Christians deal with this.
>.... is
>the good and loving God that I believe in the same one
>that they talk about in the Old Testament?
>[Kathleen Cornelson]

I once had a similar problem.  After I became a Christian, I asked
God about the fate of non-Christians.  I didn't believe it was just
or right that he should condemn them for simply being Moslem or
Buddhist or whatever, if they were sincere, particularly if they had
never heard of God.  I took my problem to God.  I argued with Him at
great length, accused Him of being cruel and unfair.  He listened
to my tirades, and at last helped me understand.  I believe God loves
*honest* doubters.  If you have a problem with Him, talk to Him about
it!

The particular problem you bring up has been explained to me like this:
the most important thing in the world was for the Israelites to preserve
the Truth about God and the coming Messiah.  This was more important
than any person's life or well-being, because it concerned the eternal
life and eternal well-being of all generations that were to come.  To
protect the Truth, God sometimes had to require things that seem quite
harsh to us.  Anything that might distort the Truth had to be
obliterated at any cost, because the Truth was beyond cost.  That is
why He often commanded that conquered peoples be destroyed - so that
the Israelites could not learn of their gods, turn to them, and so
lose the Truth.  Similarly, death sentences were given for many crimes
because the Israelites were a nomadic people living in a harsh
environment.  The entire people could be put at risk if it had to
support non-productive criminals (i.e., prisoners), and someone who was
banished could simply come back around and attack the people again.
The death penalty might have been harsh, but given the circumstances,
it was better for the people as a whole than other things might have
been.

		charli

jordan@noscvax.UUCP (Martin C. Jordan) (10/08/85)

In article <627@dicomed.UUCP> katy@dicomed.UUCP (Kathleen Cornelson) writes:
>I was raised in a Christian home and truly believed in a loving,
>holy and good God. As I grew older my beliefs led me to read the
>Bible, that I might "meditate on the word". As I read the Old
>Testament I became more and more horrified. The many violent and
>cruel acts which God demanded of his chosen people seem so
>inconsistent with the gentle God I had been taught to believe in.
>
>The "damager god" discussion so far has been a debate between
>Christians and non. But I would like to open this discussion
>strictly between believing Christians. How do you other
>Christians deal with this. I don't really want to give up the
>religion I grew up with, the God that I truly believe in, but is
>the good and loving God that I believe in the same one
>that they talk about in the Old Testament? I don't think I like
>that God.

        As a disciple of Christ for the past 18 years, I would like to
comment on this "damager god" discussion as well. It seems to me that
most people dwell only on the loving aspect of God, i.e. "God is love."
It seems that they overlook the fact that God is a righteous, just, and
HOLY God as well. He wishes all to come to repentance, to turn from their
wicked ways and seek his face so that the communion between God and man
before sin entered the world might continue. But, God lets man make the
choice whether or not to do so. This is called free-will. If instead, man
decides to go off and persue other gods, be they Dagon, Baal, the almighty
dollar, or anything else made-up by man, God must and will judge them for
their sin and disobedience.
        How does this relate to the Old Testament? There were people in
those days, entire nations, which chose not to worship the one true God.
If you get a chance, read up on some of the religious practices of such
wiped out peoples as the Canaanites, AMorites, Moabites, Assyrians, etc.
Historians and archeologists have found these people to be among the most
cruel, debauched, and barbaric (not only in terms of religious practices)
that have ever existed. The small studies I have conducted have left me
completely aghast. If ever there were people in need of judgement by God,
they fit the bill perfectly.
        Now, consider that God has a "master plan" to save mankind from
his sinful nature. For reasons probably known only to God, he planned to
have Jesus Christ, the Redeemer of ALL mankind, be of the lineage of
Abraham of Ur. In LOVE, God sees that  his chosen people are brought out
of slavery in Egypt. He watches over and takes care of them in their travel
to Canaan. As they enter Canaan, he has the whole land put to the sword.
Why? Not because He hated the inhabitants, read about Rahab in Jericho
for an example of love and mercy to believers, but because they had totally
rejected Him and His people. His people were to be a holy people so that
the Messiah could come from them. Then, continue to read in Joshua and you
find that Gods chosen people disobeyed Him by failing to clear out the
land. Judges, Ruth, and I Samuel show these same people returning to haunt
and subjugate them. A good example to me that sin has its price, but also
a good example that God is faithful to watch over His chosen people, i.e.
those that believe in Him.
        Israel then wanted to be ruled by a king, as "the other nations."
They were no longer satisfied to be ruled by God, as a theocracy, but
now wanted to establish a worldly monarchy. Samuel prophesied and told
them the undesirable outcomes of this. Men are fallible and subject to
all sorts of mistakes. God is not. Nevertheless, Israel chose to be ruled
by a king, and the rest as they say is rock 'n roll. At various times in
their life as a nation, Israel was judged for its disobedience to God. But,
at the same time, provision was always made for them to return to Him. Time
and time again, Israel, and later Judah, rejected the men of God; his
prophets, teachers, and leaders. Finally, they rejected the Son of God,
the Lamb that takes away the sin of the world. But again, God left a
proviso. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.
        Today, we live in an age where grace rules. The "Good News" of
the Resuurection is being spread throughout the world. This is a day to
experience the love of God. But, the Revelation describes a time when the
righteousness and holiness of God demands that sin be judged. We are all
guilty, believer and unbeliever alike. Those who believe in the Lordship
of Christ will point to the cross. Jesus Christ, the great Intercessor,
will stand between God and me and say "I died for Martin," allowing me
access to the Kingdom of Heaven. But those who reject the Lordship of
Christ, "to them is reserved everlasting judgement."  Let us also
remember (1) we have not even addressed  the activities of Satan in this
world, and (2) God's thoughts are not our thoughts, nor our ways His ways.
May the love of Christ be experienced by all who read this.

                                                In His service,

                                                        Martin Jordan

homeier@aero.ARPA (Peter Homeier) (10/12/85)

[this line is thrown in the teeth of any line-eaters around!]

Kathleen Cornelson writes

> I was raised in a Christian home and truly believed in a loving,
> holy and good God.  As I grew older my beliefs led me to read the
> Bible, that I might "meditate on the word". As I read the Old
> Testament I became more and more horrified. The many violent and
> cruel acts which God demanded of his chosen people seem so
> inconsistent with the gentle God I had been taught to believe in.

> ... How do you other
> Christians deal with this. I don't really want to give up the
> religion I grew up with, the God that I truly believe in, but is
> the good and loving God that I believe in the same one
> that they talk about in the Old Testament? I don't think I like
> that God.

Kathleen, thank you for writing this letter, asking about how people
felt about God being shown as so loving in the New Testament, and then
seeing a different image in reading the Old Testament.  I can see that
it may have taken some bravery to pose the question, as it is obviously
so easy for other people to just come down strongly on the side of pro-God,
without really grappling with the problem that you are having.  I feel like
I know some of what you are asking here, having gone through some questioning
like that myself.  Perhaps some of my experiences would be helpful to you.

One thing I would like to stress is that I think that it is wonderful that
you are asking this question, which appears to be something you have been
thinking about for some time.  Some people, out of fear of being thought
unorthodox, would not ask, and might even suppress the wonderings as just
not being proper things to think about.  But I feel that if God is good, as
I believe Him to be, then He is patient with us and will help us to discover
what He is like, if we really do want to know.

In the years while I was growing up, I formed a set of values, by which I
ordered my life as best I could.  This included some things like "No sex
outside marriage" and "No drugs".  It also included "Don't be angry".  For
some reason, I had come to the conviction that to be angry was wrong.  I
suppose some people had been angry with me at some point when I was young,
and I resented that.  Or perhaps I had been angry, and had been punished
for that.  In any case, I just considered anger to be wrong in all
circumstances.

Now when I started getting to know the Lord and reading the Bible, this made
me very puzzled when I read the part about Jesus driving the money-changers
out of the Temple in Jerusalem.  I just could not accept the proposition that
Jesus, who I knew was perfect, could be angry.  When my friends asked me what
I thought Jesus was doing, I said, "He's just being very forceful.".  Well,
perhaps that sounds a little silly to you, but at the time, it was the only
way I could reconcile my set of values with what I saw Jesus doing in the
Bible.

Well, it turns out that in the years since, I have gradually changed my set
of values, hopefully under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  I now feel that
it's all right to be angry in some circumstances.  Certainly there is a wrong
kind of anger, that is filled with hatred and a desire to hurt people.  But I
think that there is also a good anger, which is a rightful indignation at
something bad going on, that spurs one on to help others, to free them from
oppression.

Now this change did not come overnight.  I struggled with this for quite a
while.  Gradually, I came to trust that what the Bible was telling me about
right and wrong was more solid than my own homebrew system.  I don't mean to
imply that I just blindly said, "Well, that's what the Bible says, so I have
to believe that.".  It was a harder process for me.  I had to feel things out,
to make it my own, what I believed was right and wrong.  But I found the Bible
more and more persuasive the longer I studied it.

I think that a lot of things may not be reconcilable right now between the
Bible and the understandings that any of us have, including me.  I think that
one of the main things that I have gained over the last ten years as a
Christian is a patience, a trust in Him that somehow He really does have a
good answer to the impossible questions, some answer that really and
completely answers them in a way that fully satisfies, even if I can't
understand it right now.  One of the neatest things I've experienced as a
Christian is having some terrible unanswerable question at some point in my
life, where there seemed for example to be a contradiction in the Bible;
and then some years later discovering the answer to that apparent contradiction
being such a glorious truth that it amazes.  And the wonder is that when I
look at the two scriptures that appeared to be in conflict, I can now see
that they are like two different views of a single flawless gem, and each
perfectly expresses its view, better than any other way it could be expressed.

I think that the main question you may have to settle now is, do you believe
in Jesus as being who He said He is, the Son of God?  Do you believe that God
raised Him from the dead?  God really is a loving God; I know that because
the Bible says so (like in 1 John!), and also because I experience His love
for me every day, in big ways and little.  I know that there are a lot of
very hard things said in the Old Testament, and I do believe that it is the
same God.  But I think I will suspend judgement on God until I understand
things a little better.  Please don't let things like that block you from
coming to God and getting to know Him.  He has such warmth and loving kindness
ready to shower on you.  You know, God deeply desires our friendship!  He
wants to spend time with us, to love us and be loved by us, as a father with
his dear children.  In 1 John, it says, "God is love".  To me, this isn't
a theological statement, it's a personal statement!  God really does love me!
And He loves you too, Kathleen.

Now when you feel secure in that love, then you feel free to ask God to explain
those things He did in the past, and He won't get mad at you.  You know that
He won't leave you.  I find that He sometimes will not always give me an
answer, though.  Sometimes He says, "Not now, Peter", and sometimes even
"That is not for you to know.".  This can be annoying, but since we have our
basic love relationship as our foundation, I can just go on, trusting Him
that He knows what He's doing.

Now, lest you say that I am dodging your real question, I will try to explain
my understanding, imperfect as it must be.  I don't expect you to accept this
straight off, indeed I would hope you wouldn't, but would seek and think it
out for yourself, checking the Bible for what it says.

One thing that may account for the difference in tone between the two
Testaments is that in many ways the Old Testament was a prefiguring of Christ
and the salvation of the individual through faith.  Thus, the nation of Israel
stands for the individual Christian, and the other Cannanite nations around
stand for various spiritual conditions or influences, for example,
hard-heartedness or wickedness.  We as Christians are encouraged to love the
sinner, but hate the sin.  In the Old Testament, this manifested itself in
warfare between the Jews and the other nations.  It really typifies a person
battling sin in himself.  Of course, those were real nations too, with real
people in them.  But those nations really exemplified those spiritual
conditions that they represent in the allegory.  Those people were incredibly
depraved and wicked.  There was Satan worship going on in the name of Baal,
and children were being sacrificed, and worse.  For those people to die was
just as right as if a mass-murderer were executed today.

There are many attributes of God that I love to think about, like His
goodness, His eternal nature, His ultimate strength.  But one that is
somewhat uncomfortable to think about is God's holiness.  It's all right
that God is holy, perfect, without flaws or imperfections.  But then to
think that He cannot tolerate anything unholy in His presence is frightening.
To think that He cannot tolerate, by His very nature, the existence of sin,
makes me run to the cover of grace that I have in the blood of Jesus, for
I am a very imperfect Christian.  But then, under that covering, I have come
to see that this is not out of some wierd kind of pride, where God is saying,
"All right, you guys, you do it MY way because I'm king, and that's the way
it is!".  But rather, it is because of God's great love for us, that He sees
the horrible results that sin inevitably drags people into, and His heart
breaks with sorrow when He sees how we maim ourselves and crush whatever is
fine and clean and free in us, for a moment's pleasure.  I am convinced that
God is not so much angry at sin for sin itself, but out of a jealous love for
us, that He would preserve us from the horror that we sow for ourselves.
In fact, I am convinced that all of the times that we see God in some
judgement in the Old Testament, if we really knew the truth, we would see
that those things that seemed so unloving, were really the deepest expressions
of His love for us.  For example, it took great plagues on Egypt to get Pharaoh
to release the children of Israel from slavery.  It took David killing Goliath
to let Israel to live in peace.  And sadly, it took the Babylonian captivity
to humble Israel after it had forgoten God and fallen into cruelty and
oppression of weak people.

I hope that this is of some value to you.  I would just like to end by
resaying two things:  I am really very glad that you have the courage to work
through these things.  However, don't let them keep you away from the arms of
your very loving God.

                              Your friend,

                                  Peter

--

Peter Homeier                                  ______
Arpanet:    homeier@aerospace                 / o    \_/

tim@k.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (10/14/85)

It is truly amazing how you can state a simple refutation of an argument,
then have someone post a message which states the argument once again
without any reference to the refutation.  This has happened several times
since my recent posting of "Even If I Did Believe.."; I finally decided to
respond because of Charli's message, which repeats an argument with two
major flaws.  First, she denies the omnipotence of God, ignoring the
multitude of non-cruel ways that His ends could be accomplished and invoking
a "necessity" that cannot apply to an omnipotent being.  Second, she says
that the slaughters really worked out for the best in the long run.  Aside
from the total lack of proof, such criteria can surely never justify
unneccessary killing.

The real problem is that we try to reconcile modern criteria of civilization
with scriptures written by men of a barbaric, tribal era.  The moral ideas
of the age, with absolute obedience to authority as the ultimate good are
now obsolete, but institutions are slow to realize the fact.
-=-
Tim Maroney, CMU Center for Art and Technology
Tim.Maroney@k.cs.cmu.edu	uucp: {seismo,decwrl,etc.}!k.cs.cmu.edu!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	My name is Jones.  I'm one of the Jones boys.

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (10/14/85)

>The particular problem you bring up has been explained to me like this:
>the most important thing in the world was for the Israelites to preserve
>the Truth about God and the coming Messiah.  This was more important
>than any person's life or well-being, because it concerned the eternal
>life and eternal well-being of all generations that were to come.  To
>protect the Truth, God sometimes had to require things that seem quite
>harsh to us.  Anything that might distort the Truth had to be
>obliterated at any cost, because the Truth was beyond cost.  That is
>why He often commanded that conquered peoples be destroyed - so that
>the Israelites could not learn of their gods, turn to them, and so
>lose the Truth.

	This out-of-context quote from Charli Phillips was in defense of the
actions of Jehovah as described in the OT. Not to put the finger on Charli in
particular, but I think it's a good illustration of why the rest of us
are sometimes apprehensive of True Believers of any stripe. Do your favorite
substitutions: replace "Israelites" with "Crusaders" or "the Spanish
Inquisition", or put "Allah" for "God" and "Mohammed" for "Messiah". Nor would
it take much greater rewording to make it about dialectical materialism or
Aryan purity. It's really all summed up in one sentence, no substitutions
necessary: "Anything that might distort the Truth had to be obliterated at any
cost, because the Truth was beyond cost."

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE: {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (10/15/85)

With your indulgence, may I muddy the waters a bit more?

The Old Testament is really the story of the "old" covenant between
YHWH and the descendants of Abraham.  There weren't too many people who
could consider themselves part of this select group.  Further, if these
people were to violate the Law, the channels of redemption were limited
at best.  The means of punishment, of course, were numerous and spiced
with the extrapolations of persecuted people living in a hostile
environment.  Throughout the Old Testament, as a whole, I perceive a
greater emphasis on transgression and retribution than in the NT.

The New Testament brings out a new covenant that anyone is free to
enter, even those who have entered the covenant earlier and broken it.
Because of this, God has also obtained more ways to exercise love (as
well as judgement and justice.)  You might look at the OT as an example
of what things would be like had our sins not been paid for.  And
remember, salvation has been secured for everyone, it's just that not
everyone has claimed theirs.

What about the Jews?  They remain God's people, too.  (The Man wouldn't
the deal they have isn't as good as the one spelled out in the New
Testament.

Gee, I don't think I've been trained to do this sort of thing...
--

--Romain Kang, Pyramid Technology Corporation

US Mail:	900 Route 9, Woodbridge, NJ  07095
Ma Bell:	(201) 750-2626
UUCPnet:	{allegra,cmcl2,pyramid,topaz}!pyrnj!romain

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (10/16/85)

Tim Maroney writes:
>It is truly amazing how you can state a simple refutation of an argument,
>then have someone post a message which states the argument once again
>without any reference to the refutation.  This has happened several times
>since my recent posting of "Even If I Did Believe..";

I'm sorry, Tim, but I didn't read your posting.  I don't read the net
every day, and I don't read every posting even on days that I do read
it; I simply don't have time.  Our site doesn't keep postings in
non-technical newsgroups more than 3 or 4 days, so I can't go back and
look them up later, either.

>I finally decided to respond because of Charli's message...
>First, she denies the omnipotence of God, ignoring the
>multitude of non-cruel ways that His ends could be accomplished and invoking
>a "necessity" that cannot apply to an omnipotent being.

I believe I have stated clearly that God is both omnipotent and good.
The "necessity" that I have invoked is that, if God is to allow free
will, He must necessarily allow the possibility of evil.  As someone
else pointed out, God is omnipotent, but even He cannot make square
circles.

>Second, she says
>that the slaughters really worked out for the best in the long run.  Aside
>from the total lack of proof, such criteria can surely never justify
>unneccessary killing.

Two points.  First, one cannot *prove* "what would have been best in the
long run."  What happened happened, and one cannot go back and make
something else happen to prove what would have been best in the long
run.  Chastising me for not proving something like that is irrational
and absurd.  Second, I agree that unnecessary killing cannot be
justified; I stated that the killings described in the Old Testament may
have been necessary.

By the way, I don't mean to be rude, but if you don't believe in God,
why do you care whether the doctrines of His omnipotence and His
benevolence can be reconciled?  (That is *not* a flame.  It is an
honest question.)

	charli