[net.religion.christian] Who gets the Glory?

ptl@fluke.UUCP (Mike Andrews) (10/03/85)

Hi,

Who gets the glory when anger and hate filled attacks and counter-attacks
are uselessly made anywhere, including this net.

The person making the attacks - no.  Where is there glory when someone,
man or woman, puts another down or `tears them / their ideas apart'
in order to prove, in vain, a superior intelligence?  How far does
someone have to push another down to make themselves look taller?

The person attacked - no, but how he/she chooses to respond to the attack
can glorify God, if the response includes God's Love.

The person who counter attacks - no.  Where is the glory in picking up the
stone just thrown, and throwing it back?  Where is the glory in trying to
prove equality with someone who doesn't want equality?  You don't need to
prove you're an equal to the people that matter, they already know it.

The damager-god --- doesn't exist.  There is only one true God, revealed
to us all as the Father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit.  No other.

God - no.  He isn't glorified by our pain or our triumphs, but by how we
respond to them both - with His Love, choosing to give Him all Glory.

satan - yes.  He lives for every ounce of hate he can muster in us,
or that we choose to make ourselves.

Since we are all meant to be priests, according to the Bible, the next time you
post an article, please ask yourself whose priest you are, what faith you are
living.  And lets pray for eachother.  We all slip, we all sin, we all need
eachother, we all need God.  I pray that this message reaches the
non-Christians on this net, too.

God Bless,

	Mike Andrews

   God said He would never leave me nor forsake me, and that I am His temple.

		          A man is what he thinks.

A body led by the soul is only 2/3 of a person : the soul tries to get rid of
			        the spirit.
A body led by the spirit is a whole person : the spirit works to make the soul
    help the body.  And a spirit led by God the Holy Spirit is invincible.

ARPA : fluke!ptl@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP : {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!ptl

pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) (10/17/85)

In article <1489@vax3.fluke.UUCP>, Mike Andrews writes:

> Who gets the glory when anger and hate filled attacks and counter-attacks
> are uselessly made anywhere, including this net.
>
> The person making the attacks - no.
> The person attacked - no.
> The person who counter attacks - no.
> The damager-god --- doesn't exist.  There is only one true God, revealed
> to us all as the Father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit.  No other.

I find it sort of sad that you can simply ignore the evidence pointing to
the fact that your God, the God that you whorship, is in fact the evil
Damager-God. The assumptions you make about the nature of God to get you
to that conclusion are too many to count. Perhaps if you can shirk them you
will know the true nature of God.

> satan - yes.  He lives for every ounce of hate he can muster in us,
> or that we choose to make ourselves.

Satan and God are one and the same. Satan is analogous to God's ``imaginary
playmate.'' Ever see a child blame his imaginary playmate for things he
himself has done? Children don't get away with that such things. Yet God does.

Be well,
--
Paul Zimmerman - AT&T Bell Laboratories
pyuxn!pez

brengle@hplabsc.UUCP (Tim Brengle) (10/23/85)

[I am new to this network and news.  Please forgive any breaches of ettiquette
 or custom.}

Paul,

In your article <383@pyuxn.UUCP>, you wrote:
> I find it sort of sad that you can simply ignore the evidence pointing to
> the fact that your God, the God that you whorship, is in fact the evil
> Damager-God. The assumptions you make about the nature of God to get you
> to that conclusion are too many to count. Perhaps if you can shirk them you
> will know the true nature of God.

You seem to imply that the evidence for your damager-god is overwhelming.  Or
that the number of assumptions required to believe in its existence are fewer
than with a benevolent God.  So far, (remember that I have only been reading
here for about 2 weeks), I have seem nothing to suggest either.

In order for there to be Good of any form, there must be an Evil to measure
it against.  Consider any of the so-called utopian communities that have been
started -- including those be various religious groups.  My understanding is
that the "usual" reason for their short life is internal dissetion.  This
suggests that even is a group of all Good people get together, the usual
process of finding identity (that is differentiating yourself from the rest
of the madding throng) stratifies such a Good group into the More-goods and
the Less-goods.  It is then but a simple semantic change for "Less-good" to
become "Evil".  (Please no flames about the existence of absolute Truth --
there just isn't room to go into everything here.)

My limited understanding of your views would seem to indicate that you have
just taken Good and renamed it Evil, and vice versa.

Assume for a moment that your view and the traditional Judeo-Christian view
(hereinafter labeled "my view") are equally good at explaining the facts --
that is, the physical evidence around us.  I can guess that you will argue
over that assumption, as can I (from the opposite view).  But grant it for
the moment.

Then, what strikes me most about the system that you espouse it the total
lack of hope.  You do not allow your damager-god to be omnipotent, but even
so he must be a truly potent adversary.  After all, have you the power to
cloud men's minds as you claim he has?  If he is then so powerful, how can
you have any hope of defeating him?  Does that not leave you in a place where
your struggle is ultimately futile (and hopeless)?

My view, on the other hand, has me in league with God.  And places me in a
position of hope -- after all I have a very, very powerful ally.  Especially
since I believe that he is omnipotent.

It strikes me that a beliefe system without any hope is not worth the trouble.
I choose instead to believe that God has a plan (beyond my puny understanding)
that gives victory in the end.

I have a further question:  is there any love in your system of beliefs?  The
entire reason for my coming to know God is love.  His unending, infinite love
for me.  It will be hard to convince me that He whose love I feel daily is
one and the same with your damager-god.

					Sincerely (and I really mean it),
						Tim Brengle

pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) (10/25/85)

Tim,

	I may not be able to convince you of the fact that your idea
of a loving benevolent God is based on more assumptions than my belief
in an evil Damager-God is. (Then again, I may. A person should never lose
faith. :-) I hope that this article will convince you at least part way,
that your belief is at best ``no better'' than mine. From there, who knows?
Since you ask me to ``assume for a moment that [both our views] are equally
good at explaining the facts,'' I hope this can serve as a first step in
approaching the truth of the matter about God. I am glad to see you are at
least willing to go this far.

	You wrote that I ``seem to imply that the evidence for your Damager-God
is overwhelming.'' As a matter of fact, the evidence is just as overwhelming
as YOUR evidence for your God. Because it is exactly the same evidence! It
is simply interpreted differently by you and me. You look at the evidence in
your own Bible, showing a God who autocratically says that His will is law,
destroying anyone who disobeys, crushing entire peoples who might interfere
with His plans for the world at His say-so. And what is your conclusion?
That all of this is fine and dandy, because it is God we are talking about,
God ``defines'' good. And what is my conclusion? That such abominations are,
quite simply, abominations, acts of an evil filthy pig Damager-God. Which
of us is making assumptions here? Me, who judges evil as evil without
presuming or reconfiguring my analysis? Or you, who sees the evil and
insists that God is good anyway?

	You cite the dichotomy of good versus evil, saying that good can
only be called good in relation to something called evil. You say that the
reason that ``utopian communities'' dissolve because there are some who
are ``less good'' than the rest, who cause dissension (whom you classify
as ``evil''). I'm not at all sure how you can insist that people are to
be stratified into ``good'' and ``less good'' categories (based on,
according to you, the process of finding identity). What are your criteria?
How well the ``less good'' people fit into the ``good'' people's decreed
norms? But the most curious thing of all is your statement that your
understanding of my views is that I have "just taken Good and renamed it
Evil, and vice versa". How CAN you say this after your position takes
the vile disgusting actions of a despicable God (as described in your
own Bible) and calls them ``good'' because God did them? Certainly it is
you who is taking evil and renaming it ``good.''

	Getting back to the assumption you asked me to grant you (that
our views represented equally reasonable concepts, that yours makes no
more assumptions than mine. Yet in your own article, your complaint is that
you don't like my system because it represents ``a total lack of hope.''
Because I ``do not allow God to be omnipotent.'' It sounds like you
choose your beliefs based on how much hope (or other things you want)
the beliefs offer, and that you get to ``allow'' the components of your
beliefs to have certain characteristics (regardless of what they are really
like)! What's more, you claim that since God is so powerful, we can never
hope to defeat him, thus making my struggle ``futile and hopeless.'' Again,
do you choose your beliefs based on how pretty they depict life to be?
Point of fact, I do have my hopes that someday mankind can find a way to
beat and destroy God. (Who's to say that this is impossible?) But I hope we
can (as they say on Hill Street Blues) do it to Him before He does it to us.

	No matter, I find the problems of a life in a world with a pig filth
God to be challenging, not futile and hopeless, even though in the end He does
make mincemeat of us all. Regardless of your beliefs about His false
promises of afterlife. (Have you ever wondered why He only promises you
things you can never verify? Like a corrupt used-car salesman?) You say
``a belief system without any hope is not worth the trouble,'' that you
``choose instead to believe that God has a plan.'' Thus you prove my point
that your beliefs are based on what you WANT to believe about God, and that
you are not concerned about whether your beliefs correspond to reality,
as long as they profess ``hope'' or other things you want.

	Forgive me for sounding gruff, but when you say so proudly that you
are ``in league with God,'' I have no choice but to state my utter distaste
for such association with pure evil.  When you call Him your ``very powerful
ally,'' you sound like someone who has procured the friendship and assistance
of a vile gangster to aid and abet. You have the gall to ask if MY beliefs
contain any notion of love, making the assumption that because you claim
to have found love through God, as if this were the only way to learn about
love. (Indeed, if it is A way at all!) I happen to have very real love for
all people, indeed, for every living thing on this planet. It is for this
very reason that I despise God, because He seeks to interfere with and
damage it all for His own pleasure. You can hardly claim that belief in
Him can be equated in any way to real love.

Be well,