[net.religion.christian] Why should I believe

slg@ukma.UUCP (Sean Gilley) (10/20/85)

     Ya know, as it turns out, for lots of reasons, I'd like
to  believe  in  the  Christian  God.  Or any God.  It makes
things a lot easier.  You have this promise of a better life
after  death,  and that's nothing to sneer at.  I mean, even
in it's best, when I'm enjoying  life  as  much  as  I  can,
things  could  be  better.   And the Christian God says they
will.  But first I've got to believe.

     And what hurts, is that it doesn't matter what kind  of
person I am.  I'm one of these ultra-liberal fools who think
that mankind should be able  to  live  in  peace.   I  don't
believe  in killing anyone or anything, I would not serve as
a soldier in war.  I believe in helping others whenever pos-
sible...  in  short  all these things that Christ asks us to
do.  But I'm going to Hell.  At least thats what all my good
Christian  friends  tell me.  Or what about another friend I
have.  She lives a life that is similar, perhaps better than
mine, perhaps not.  Why should she be relegated to Hell upon
her death?  I don't think it's fair.

     I know, God never promised to be fair.

     But lets leave the two of us out of it.  How about  all
these  people in other nations, that have been brought up in
a different religion...  A friend of mine  says  that  every
person  will  have  at least one chance to become Christian,
because they will hear the Word of  God  at  least  once  in
their  life.   But  let's  be  reasonable.   If you had been
brought up your entire life as Hindu  or  Moslem,  and  then
heard  a  Christian  preacher  once,  would  you convert?  I
wouldn't.  It took me a  long  time  to  even  consider  the
eastern  religions  as  something  other than laughable.  Is
that fair?  I mean, how can you condemn millions  of  people
for  being  born  in the wrong country?  I feel like that is
essentially what it is.

     If God is a loving God, how can he do this?  I know,  I
know, free will.  And though that may be the correct answer,
it doesn't make it right.  I just don't understand.

     I was a Christian once.  Until  five  years  ago.   Six
years  ago,  after  having  been  a Christian all my life, I
became much more devout than I had been.   I  was  baptised,
went  to  church at least three times a week; the whole bit.
The next year was hell.  I've been told  it  was  the  devil
trying  to  get  to  me.  Well if that was it, it worked.  I
became suicidal.  I came very close to killing  myself  then
and  there.   With  the help of a very good friend, (who was
not a christian), I survived.  After the  initial  night,  I
went  to  the youth leader of the church I was going to.  He
said it was fine that I was going to a counselor at  school,
but  that  he  thought I should go to a christian counselor.
Fine.  As it was very late, he said he'd call the  following
day.  (Remember,  I  was  telling this person I was ready to
kill myself.)  I haven't heard from  him  yet.   Ok,  people
aren't  perfect, but when someone says they want to die, and
they have come to you for help, you don't forget!

     Why would God allow me to become so disallusioned  with
life that I would want to kill myself?

     Following that year, I went through a short  period  of
atheism,  and then just began questioning.  Which is where I
am now. Questioning.  My questions may  have  changed,  cer-
tainly  they've  become  more  to  the  point.  And the ones
represented in this article are just a few of many, but they
are important.

     This is not meant to be a flame, it  is  meant  to  ask
questions  that maybe I'll get an answer to.  I don't expect
to be convinced, but I'm more than willing  to  listen,  and
respond.

					Sean.

--

    Sean L. Gilley  	     Phone: (606) 272-9620 or (606) 257-4613

      {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!ukma!ukgs!slg, slg@UKMA.BITNET

             Watches are a conspiracy by Swiss confidence men.

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (10/30/85)

[]
In article <2309@ukma.UUCP> slg@ukma.UUCP (Sean Gilley) writes:
>...  But I'm going to Hell.  At least thats what all my good
>Christian  friends  tell me.  ...
Within the Christian religion (or religions) there is room for
wide differences of belief even among those who are entirely
orthodox. The question "Who goes to Hell?" seems to have the
widest range of answers.  I half believe that the answers say
more about those who give them, than about what the odds are
on a comfortable after-life.
     Here are some opinions, from a Catholic viewpoint.  (That
qualification narrows the possibilities somewhat, but not
much.)  First, I think it is wicked to say of anyone, that he
is certain to go to Hell or that he certainly did go to Hell.
This presumes to make a judgement that is not ours to make,
and disparages God's mercy.  Second, I do not think that
unbelief, or the failure to profess a certain creed, is
sufficient to send a person to Hell.  Faith, Hope, and Love
may be hidden by superficial circumstances - or expressed in
deeds rather than words.  To "go to Hell" takes a kind of
commitment: a fundamental choice to be unloving and selfish.
     Someone once said, "I believe that Hell is a place of
eternal torment - eternally uninhabited."  Mybe someone on the
net can identify the source.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh