[net.religion.christian] Unanswered prayers

harwood@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (11/06/85)

>From: pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman)
Newsgroups: net.religion.christian
Subject: Re: It's fun watching God answer prayers ---

	Mike Andrews gives an example of God answering prayers. I would
like to offer my own.

	A very close friend of mine's parents just went through a traumatic
divorce. He prayed that both of them would continue their lives hereafter in
a peaceful way, and find happiness in their separation. (He had been praying
for them not to separate and then not to divorce for some time previous to
this.) He also prayed that additional tragedy not befall their family.
What has followed has been a bitter custody fight for the one child still
living with his parents, severe problems with his sister's pregnancy, and his
younger brother was in a severe accident owing to drinking while driving, and
must (at the order of a judge) quit school in order to enter an alcohol
rehabilitation program. (He HAD been a model student for many years.)

	This is how God answers prayers.

Be well,
--
Paul Zimmerman - AT&T Bell Laboratories
pyuxn!pez

	On the contrary, all we know for sure is that you would
implicitly belittle the faith of your close friend, for the sake
of scoring your point --
	This is how ~you~ have answered your friend.
	Be well, yourself.

					David Harwood

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (11/07/85)

In article <934@cvl.UUCP> harwood@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) writes:
> In article <395@pyuxn.UUCP> pez@pyuxn.UUCP (Paul Zimmerman) writes:
> > 	Mike Andrews gives an example of God answering prayers. I would
> > like to offer my own... [Counter example removed for terseness.  MRH]
> > 	This is how God answers prayers.
>
> 	On the contrary, all we know for sure is that you would
> implicitly belittle the faith of your close friend, for the sake
> of scoring your point --

I see.  Pointing out examples of bad choices and consequences (be they drugs,
rock and roll, gods, or whatever) is belittlement?  How nobly non-judgemental
you Xians must be to avoid this social gaffe!  Surely it must be a mortal sin
as well.  :-(

> 	This is how ~you~ have answered your friend.

Perhaps if this was the only way Paul answered his friends, he might be
disliked.  However, YOU have no way of knowing this, and your insinuation
is a typical ad-hominem attack.  Try scoring your points with logic, rather
than rhetoric.  For example, explain your God's answer to Paul's friend's
prayer.  Address the argument, not the arguer.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (11/08/85)

In article <934@cvl.UUCP> harwood@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) writes:
>	On the contrary, all we know for sure is that you would
>implicitly belittle the faith of your close friend, for the sake
>of scoring your point--

I'd like to think that was Paul's point.  (It probably isn't, but we'll
let that go by right now.)  Personal testimony is selective.  Those
who believe in the deity of infinite goodness remember the good things
that happen.  Those who believe in a maltheistic diety remember all the
bad things that have happened.  Both may be remembering accurately or
neither may be remembering accurately depending on your point of view.

Actually it is a bit unfair to bang on the Christian propensity for
personal witness here.  This *is* net.religion.christian (though it often
doesn't seem that way.)  Perhaps the discussion should remain in
net.religion.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch