[net.religion.christian] The Story of My Manger Set

emery@fluke.UUCP (John Emery) (12/17/85)

I just thought I would share a cute little story that happened to me last
Christmas.  I had decided to buy a manger set.  After looking around for
a while, I finally bought one. However, After I got it home and put it
together I was dissappointed.  It was poor quality and the figurines were
small and made of cheap plastic.  Whats worse was that the set was fairly
expensive.

A couple days later, I ran into a set of ceramic figurines (9 pieces).
The pieces were about 5 times the size of the ones I had and the price
of this set was about half of what I paid for the other.  I couldn't
believe it!  So I returned the other manger set and purchased this one.

The problem with this set was that it did not have a manger or hay.  I
had my heart set on the whole works however.  I figured surely I could
buy a manger separately.  After looking and looking, I came up empty handed.
Then I thought perhaps I could build my own.  Besides, it would be cheaper.
I figured perhaps the Lord wanted me to make the manger myself.  That sounded
like fun!  Gee, Noah built the ark, Solomon built the temple, and I could
build the manger!

The next problem was to figure out what kind of wood to buy.  It had to be
thin and easy to work with.  No problem.  Well I went to a few stores and
surprisingly there was nothing I could use.  Well I started becoming
frustrated and a bit angry.  Then I thought, "Lord, I want to make this
manger set for you.  What shall I do?"  Soon I got a thought to go look
in back of our townhouse complex.  I had never been out there before because
all that was out there were some trees, bushes, and wild grass.  For some
reason I was excited about going out there.  My wife thought I was a little
crazy.

Well I went tramping through the wild weeds.  After looking for about 5
minutes, I ended up at the edge of a parking lot and lo and behold, there
sat a pile of 3 or 4 pieces of pressed particle board.  Exactly what I was
looking for.  After figuring out the dimensions I needed, it turned out that
the amount of wood I had was nearly exactly the right amount!  Well I built
it and it turned out great.  A coating of vegetable oil gave it a nice nat-
ural look.

Next I wanted some hay to put in it.  I said, "Lord, you did it once, I trust
you can do it again."  Well I didn't get any urges to go back to where I found
the wood, but I went and looked anyway.  I didn't find any.  I thought, "Oh
well" and settled for some tree figs.  Then a couple of days later I was
walking from the parking lot to the building to work.  We have a small lake
with swans, ducks, and geese on the way.  Well to my amazement, someone had
placed a bunch of hay along side the walk way for the ducks (I assumed).
I took just enough for my manger and left plenty for the ducks (they didn't
get too mad).

I ended up with a lovely, inexpensive manger set and a warm feeling in my
heart that God helps even with the smallest things.  I guess he was trying
to tell me that Christmas was meant to be simple.  I hope everyone's
Christmas is simple and bright.

In His Name,

John Emery
fluke!emery

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (12/20/85)

In article <1557@vax3.fluke.UUCP> emery@fluke.UUCP (John Emery) writes:
[Long tale of construction of manger from scavenged materials.]
> I ended up with a lovely, inexpensive manger set and a warm feeling in my
> heart that God helps even with the smallest things.  I guess he was trying
> to tell me that Christmas was meant to be simple.

What will the Lord help you with next?  Maybe you'll discover cooking!
Or fire!  Oh, praise the Lord!

Why do you attribute simple self-reliance to your mythical god?  Are you
insecure?  Or do you just anthropomorphicize your thinking processes?

Have a happy holiday!
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh