[net.religion.christian] Real Presence // Of Mice and Medieval Theologians

ptl@fluke.UUCP (Mike Andrews) (01/21/86)

Hi,

Thanks, Gary, for a very interesting article.  A couple of things were
presented that I'd like to comment on.

In article <1522@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> gary@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (gary w buchholz) writes:

>Further, one might ask if "Real Presence" does not contradict the
>scripture (Heb 9:28, Pet 3:18) that the sacrifice on Calvary was
>"once and for all".  What could the sacrifice of the Mass (as
>repetition) mean in light of this.
>
>It was also curious to note that Jesus death on Calvary was brought
>about by the unbelievers.  Now this same "act" was repeated in the
>sacrifice of the mass.  ....

The Roman Catholic church doesn't consider the Mass to be killing
Jesus again, only carrying out what Jesus said to do during the Last
Supper account in Luke 22:17-20: "... Do this as a remembrance of me ..."

>Berengar simply pointed out that if the consecrated elements were in
>fact the Real Presence of the body of Christ which was incorruptible
>then the elements being an identity with that body would be
>incorruptible in like fashion.
>
>The truth was the consecrated elements do in fact decay.  By simple
>logic then, the consecrated host was not now (decayed) the real body
>of Christ nor could it have ever been ( ie due to immutability).  It
>is a purely logical move to say that what is immortal cannot come to
>be nor can it pass away.
>
>I find that rather simple and to the point.  The churches own elaborate
>rules of disposal of unused Eucharist elements refutes its own assertion
>of Real Presence.
>
>  Gary

This is where my faith comes in again - just as Christians believe our
human bodies will die, for that matter we all believe that :-), Christians also
believe our spirits will live on to spend eternity either with or without God.
Likewise, just as the real physical presense of the host changes as it is
consumed, or decays naturally, the very real spiritual presence of God goes
on eternally.  This of course relates to the Christian belief in both a
physical world and a spiritual world:  Jesus is God in the flesh, and the Bible
says God is Spirit.

Thanks again, Gary, for your article,

Mike Andrews

             God says He is always with us, and will not leave us.

ARPA : fluke!ptl@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP : {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!ptl