[net.religion.christian] Mass and Eucharist

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (01/22/86)

In article <2630@cal-asd.fluke.UUCP> ptl@fluke.UUCP (Mike Andrews) writes:

>The Roman Catholic church doesn't consider the Mass to be killing
>Jesus again, only carrying out what Jesus said to do during the Last
>Supper account in Luke 22:17-20: "... Do this as a remembrance of me ..."

I thought that would only refer to the Eucharist sacrament. Or does the
Mass revolve around the Lord's Supper, and thus is considered to be a
fulfillment of that command?

morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) (01/24/86)

In article <713@cylixd.UUCP>, dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:

> In article <2630@cal-asd.fluke.UUCP> ptl@fluke.UUCP (Mike Andrews) writes:
>
> >The Roman Catholic church doesn't consider the Mass to be killing
> >Jesus again, only carrying out what Jesus said to do during the Last
> >Supper account in Luke 22:17-20: "... Do this as a remembrance of me ..."
>
> I thought that would only refer to the Eucharist sacrament. Or does the
> Mass revolve around the Lord's Supper, and thus is considered to be a
> fulfillment of that command?

The most important part of the Mass is when the priest recites Jesus' words
at the Last Supper, "take this, all of you and eat it ... do this in
memory of me."

The Mass may be thought of figuratively as a Supper.  Many of the rituals
performed have symbolic meaning as part of a supper.  The holy water at the
entrance to the church may be thought of as a wash basin (one should wash
his hands before eating).  Fasting before Mass could be thought of as not
spoiling one's dinner.

In the primitive Church, food was actually passed around, making a meal out
of Mass.  In present day, we have limited it down to tiny wafers and a
chalice of wine.  Incidentally, the bread is often unleavened, suggesting a
holdover from Passover.
--

Terry Morse  (408)743-1487
{ hplabs!cae780 } | { ihnp4!sun!sunncal } !leadsv!morse

harwood@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (01/26/86)

In article <780@leadsv.UUCP> morse@leadsv.UUCP writes:
>In article <713@cylixd.UUCP>, dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
>>
>> In article <2630@cal-asd.fluke.UUCP> ptl@fluke.UUCP (Mike Andrews) writes:
>>
>> >The Roman Catholic church doesn't consider the Mass to be killing
>> >Jesus again, only carrying out what Jesus said to do during the Last
>> >Supper account in Luke 22:17-20: "... Do this as a remembrance of me ..."
>>
>> I thought that would only refer to the Eucharist sacrament. Or does the
>> Mass revolve around the Lord's Supper, and thus is considered to be a
>> fulfillment of that command?
>
>The most important part of the Mass is when the priest recites Jesus' words
>at the Last Supper, "take this, all of you and eat it ... do this in
>memory of me."

	The most significant moment for me is the ultimate petition
before receiving the bread and wine: "Lord, I am not worthy to receive
you, but only say the word and I shall be healed."
	This petition recalls the similar petition made by the Gentile
centurion, whose faith, said Jesus, was greater than he had found among
all of Israel.
					David Harwood

ptl@fluke.UUCP (Mike Andrews) (01/28/86)

Hi,

For those who've followed this short discussion, or for those interested,
here's an instant replay ---

In article <2630@cal-asd.fluke.UUCP> ptl@fluke.UUCP (Mike Andrews) writes:
>>The Roman Catholic church doesn't consider the Mass to be killing
>>Jesus again, only carrying out what Jesus said to do during the Last
>>Supper account in Luke 22:17-20: "... Do this as a remembrance of me ..."

In article <713@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
>I thought that would only refer to the Eucharist sacrament. Or does the
>Mass revolve around the Lord's Supper, and thus is considered to be a
>fulfillment of that command?

The Eucharist is central to the Mass.  Everything in the Mass
leads up to, and follows from the Eucharist.  Even in parishes where
a priest can't be present for celebrating the Mass, a deacon or assigned
person is provided with consecrated bread to distribute.  When an ordained
deacon is present, he will usually include everything done in a normal
Mass except those things directly associated with the actual consecration
as done only by a priest.  As to how it's done in the mission fields,
I'll need to find out.  I do know the people may not see a priest for
weeks or even months.  And the consecrated bread wouldn't hold out that
long - so I'll find out.

God Bless,

Mike Andrews

             God says He is always with us, and will not leave us.

ARPA : fluke!ptl@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP : {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!ptl