[net.religion.christian] Dreams about god

ptl@fluke.UUCP (Mike Andrews) (02/01/86)

Hi,

In article <2463@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>...  Picture a cross
>between Yoda, a gremlin (from the movie "Gremlins"), and one of those
>disgusting squeeze dolls in which the little beady eyes bulged out when
>squeezed.  Now picture this thing about 3 feet tall, with green skin the
>color of Yoda's, with the pointy ears ...
> ... Well, that was god.  He came up to me and told me not to post
>to net.religion.christian any more, because it was wrong to attack religion.
>I said something like "yeah, sure", and he slipped backwards and fell down a
>flight of stairs into some misty white abyss as he started to follow after me.
>
>I was just wondering.  Obviously I don't believe this was an actual encounter
>with god.  Do you?  Why or why not?  ...

No, Rich, I don't think you encountered God at all.  I believe a spiritual
world surrounds us, just as much as the physical one does.  There are
instances documented by the Roman Catholic church in which people have been
possessed by evil spirits.  I personally have met a woman who had a very
authentic, Roman Catholic church approved and recognized, exorcism.  They don't
do this very often, when they do it isn't publicized, but they do them even
today.  What you *possibly* faced was an evil spirit, regardless of the fact
that it said to do a `good' thing.  I'm not saying all bad dreams are the
result of demon participation, that's why I said `possibly' above.  Note
that I'm not talking about demon possession in regards to your dream,
only that your dream may be an example of what is termed demon oppression.

A true experience - some close friends of mine have a daughter who at
the time was maybe 8 to 10.  She was waking up at night in terror of the
`slimy' animals she saw in her room.  She would climb out of bed, only to
be found by her parents hiding under the kitchen table.  Seems the animals
would leave her alone once she got there.  It turned out that Jim and Sandy
read their Bible at the kitchen table.  This went on for a while before
they heard about the possibility of demon oppression.  They learned
that they had to command the spirits to leave their daughter alone,
in Jesus' Name, and to be gone.  They did this.  That night she slept soundly.
The next morning, though, their daughter asked her parents who the pretty
lady in white was in her room last night.  Seems the lady picked up the
ugly animals and threw them out of the house after they appeared.  An angel?
Possibly.  I believe so.

Focusing on demons is a waste of time and energy, except in those
cases God is particularly calling prepared people (plural) to fight them.
And the people fighting them have to keep their focus on Jesus - He's the One
Who wins the fights through them and for them.  Why are there fights at all?
The only thing that makes sense to me, my opinion, is that God gave
the angels free wills like ours.  Some of them chose their own way, and became
the `ugly beasts' without the beauty of God's Love in them.  They still have
free wills God won't go against, His choice, but He'll help us if we freely
chose to ask.

The greatest work of a Christian is to share God's Truth in Love.

God Bless,

Mike Andrews

             God says He is always with us, and will never leave us.

ARPA : fluke!ptl@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP : {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!ptl

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (02/04/86)

>>...  Picture a cross
>>between Yoda, a gremlin (from the movie "Gremlins"), and one of those
>>disgusting squeeze dolls in which the little beady eyes bulged out when
>>squeezed.  Now picture this thing about 3 feet tall, with green skin the
>>color of Yoda's, with the pointy ears ... [ROSEN]

> What you *possibly* faced was an evil spirit, regardless of the fact
>that it said to do a `good' thing.  [ANDREWS]

Quite possible, but more probably it was the pickle and cheese sandwich
Rich had before going to bed.

So, Rich, how does it feel to look straight in the face of Ubizmo? :-)

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)