[net.religion.christian] Healing

homeier@aero.ARPA (Peter Homeier) (03/20/86)

In article <2398@burdvax.UUCP> devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) writes:
>In article <aero.328> homeier@aero.UUCP (Peter Homeier) writes:
>> [Lady G.]
>>>... I'd defend empathy
>>>as strongly as I'd defend my belief in God.)
>>
>> [Peter H.]
>>I was really interested when you mentioned empathy.  This is a gift that the
>>Lord has given me, beginning late last year.  I use it while ministering to
>>people in prayer.  The Spirit has been placing their sufferring, their
>>emotions of fear, loneliness, disgust, hatred, etc. on me for a while, and
>>I feel the full weight of them.  This can last for some time, depending on
>>the severity of the emotional problem, while I am in my own body feeling the
>>hurts that the person themselves may long ago have repressed and hidden from
>>their concious mind.  But through this release, the Lord brings the pain
>>first to me, and then I give it to Him, and the person I am praying for
>>receives healing in that area.  It is an intensely powerful experience, and
>>as much a blessing for me to minister it as it is for the person I am
>>praying for.
>
>An interesting observation.  One question, though; where does God speak of
>this so-called gift in the Bible?  Is this a manifestation of the Spirit's
>work in a way not discussed in Scripture?  What kind of healing are you
>talking about here?  Is this physical healings like Jesus making the blind
>see and the lame walk?

"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of
all:  ...  to another gifts of healing by the same Spirit, ..."
1 Corinthians 12:7-10

"Surely He has borne our griefs
And carried our sorrows;
Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
Smitten by God, and afflicted.
But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities,
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed."   --  Isaiah 53:4-5

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,
Because the Lord has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."   -- Isaiah 61:1-2

"For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you."
-- John 13:15

>>This gift, I am absolutely certain, comes from God the Holy Spirit.
>
>How do you know that?  Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
>If it's not based entirely on the Bible, how do you know it's from God?

It is indeed based entirely on the Bible.  I know that it is from God
because it agrees with the Bible and it has good fruits.  I have seen people
released from many kinds of internal bondage and pain.  I have seen people
who hated their parents all their lives become able to forgive them.  I have
seen people who were molested as infants become able to fully relate to
their spouses, because I prayed for them.  I have seen people released from
life-long depression, where they were oppressed by feelings of utter
worthlessness and degradation.  I have seen people come alive again to God
the Father, and enter into a new depth of relationship with Him that they
never knew was possible.

"By their fruits you will know them."   --  Matthew 7:20

                                  Peter Homeier
--

Peter Homeier                                  ______
Arpanet:    homeier@aerospace                 / o    \_/

purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) (03/20/86)

In article <336@aero.ARPA> homeier@aero.UUCP (Peter Homeier) writes:
>In article <2398@burdvax.UUCP> devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) writes:

>>An interesting observation.  One question, though; where does God speak of
>>this so-called gift in the Bible?  Is this a manifestation of the Spirit's
>>work in a way not discussed in Scripture?  What kind of healing are you
>>talking about here?  Is this physical healings like Jesus making the blind
>>see and the lame walk?
>>

>"Surely He has borne our griefs
>And carried our sorrows;
>Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
>Smitten by God, and afflicted.
>But He was wounded for our transgressions,
>He was bruised for our iniquities,
>The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
>And by His stripes we are healed."   --  Isaiah 53:4-5

>"For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you."
>-- John 13:15

	Thank you Peter! These were the verses that I was wanting
(particularly the one in Isaiah.) Not to mention the one that someone
posted earlier about bearing one another's burdens. (I really must start
bringing my Bible here with me, or get a terminal at home.)

	Share and enjoy -

		elizabeth g. purtell

		(Lady Godiva)