[net.religion.christian] The Christian Gamer

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (03/31/86)

In article <2351@jhunix.UUCP> ins_akaa@jhunix.ARPA (Ken Arromdee) writes:
>>	   I am quite young in Christ (and in age, I guess), i.e: I've only
>>	started understanding what Christ is all about for a few months....
>>	  Before, I really enjoyed playing computer games like rogue and
>>	adventurer, and games for home computers like wizardry and enchanter,
>>	etc. Now, I really don't feel comfortable playing these games for
>>	obvious reasons. I was wondering what games out there a young
>>	Christian like myself might find interesting.  Are there any
>>	Christian game manufacturers?
>>			Ben Walls
>
>Please explain what your "obvious reasons" are.  I see no "obvious" reason
>here.
>
>Also, what do you mean by "Christian game manufacturers"?  Are you saying
>that (for example) because someone is Jewish is a sufficient reason not
>to buy their product?
>--

I must agree wholeheartedly with Ken here!

Ben, personally, I am opposed to the use of brute force and violence in the
solving of problems. This is what I imagine you find objectionable - now that
you have stepped upon the path of Christ. Games such as Hack still provide
intertainment for me though. The reason is that I can seperate fantasy from
reality. For me, Hack/Rogue (or whatever) is a complex and ever shifting
puzzle. To play these games successfully, one does not need to develop
bulging muscles and carry a large stick with which to solve any problems
that may arise. These games require a flexible mind and encourage creative
thinking (problem solving if you will).

Another alternative to your delimna is Fantasy Role Playing games. Granted,
versions of these games are limited to a hack&slash mentality by the people
who are playing them at the time. There is nothing wrong with that if it is
what the players and GM want. However, the realm of frp games is very broad
indeed. In fact, it's only limit is your creative genius. In a Runequest
campaign which I am running at present, on of the characters is an Initiate
of one of the Rune Cults (the form of religions in this game) which is - for
the most part - opposed to the use of violence. The player who is running this
character has opted to have her character run away from impinging battle and
in one instance, she lay upon the roof of the building upon which a recent chase
had occured praying fervently to her goddess while the brute who had been
chasing her lifted his sword to strike her.

Don't give up Ben! If you can't find any good Christian games perhaps you
could look for some Buddhist ones. They're even more peaceloving. They never
condoned Holy Wars at all! :-)

Joel Rives
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>