[net.religion.christian] Christian Roots of the U.S.

gks@vax135.UUCP (Ken Swanson) (09/08/86)

The following is based on excerpts from a sermon, "Church and State," by
Rev. Dr. D. James Kennedy of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Ft.
Lauderdale, Florida.

PART I

Question:	Did the founders of this nation intend it to be a secularist,
		neutral, humanist nation; or did they believe that this was
		a nation created to the glory of God and that it was to be a
		godly, Christian state?

Evidence:
  *  	In 1606 the First Charter of Virginia was drawn up prior to the arrival
	of settlers from England at Jamestown, Va. in 1607.  The charter, in
	part, declares
		"We greatly commending, and graciously accepting of, their
		desires for the furtherence of so noble a work, which may,
		by the providence of almighty God, hereafter tend to the
		glory of His divine majesty, in propagating the Christian
		religion to such people, as yet live in darkness and miserable
		ignorance of the true knowledge and worship of God, and may in
		time bring the infidels and savages, living in those parts,
		to human civility, and to a settled and quite government ..."

  *	On Nov. 11, 1620, as their ship, the Mayflower, lay off the shores of
	Plymouth Rock, the Pilgrims joined together and signed the Mayflower
	Compact:
		"In the name of God, Amen" ... "Having undertaken for the glory
		of God, and advancements of the Christian faith, and honor of
		our kind and country, a voyage to plant the first colony in
		the Northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly
		and mutually in the presence of God, and one of another,
		covenant and combine ourselves together into a civil body
		politic ..."
	Governor William Bradford described the first thing the Pilgrims did
	when they arrived on these shores:
		"Being thus arrived in good harbor and brought safe to land,
		they fell upon their knees and blessed the God of Heaven ..."

  *	The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut was the first written
	constitution (1639) which created a government in this land:
		"Forasmuch as it hath pleased the Almight God by the wise
		disposition of His divine providence so to order and dispose
		of things ..."  "And well knowing where a people are gathered
		together the word of God requires that to maintain the peace
		and union of such a people there should be an orderly and
		decent government established according to God ... to
		maintain and preserve the liberty and purity of the gospel of
		our Lord Jesus which we now profess, as also the discipline
		of the churches, which according to the  truth of the said
		gospel is not practiced amongst us ..."

Ken Swanson
AT&T Bell Labs
... ihnp4!vax135!gks

craig@think.COM (Craig Stanfill) (09/09/86)

I think the root of this argument lies in realizing the difference
between the PEOPLE of the U.S. and the GOVERNMENT of the U.S.

1. The People.  The original settlers of many of the colonies, including
Maryland, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Pennsylvania, came to the new
world to escape religous persecution (i.e. the established church).  The
settlers of other colonies, such as Virginia, came to the new world for
economic opportunity, and brought their established church (the Church
of England) with them.  Since then, people have come to America either
to escape persecution in their homeland (e.g. the Jews from eastern
Europe, the middle class from Viet Nam), or to escape economic hardship
at home (e.g. the Irish fleeing famine or the Mexicans fleeing poverty),
or to escape tyranny (e.g. Soviet and eastern block defectors today).

Without denying that Americans are, on the whole, a profoundly religous
people, or denying the importance of religion in the founding some of
the original colonies, people have not, on the whole, come to America
because it is ``a Christian Country,'' but because it was (and often
still is) the only place they could run to.

2. The Government.  When the U.S. Government was founded, Europe still
had vivid memories of bitter religous wars and of religous persecution.
One of the results of this was `The Enlightenment,' which took many (but
not all) aspects of Christian morality and packaged them in a framework
of reason.  The basic idea was that reason alone was sufficient for the
establishment of a just government.  This led to the then-radical
concept of separation of Church and State.  The hope was that, if people
could not agree on God (which they still cannot), they could at least
agree on some basic rights that men had, and on what steps were
necessary to guarantee those rights.

One problem today (as always) is that this concensus on the rights of
man and on the role of government is not universal.  In the case of
abortion, we see a case where a fundamental right is in dispute: some
think a fetus has a fundamental right to life, others think not.  In the
case of poronography, there are those who think the government should
legislate morality, rather then defend individual rights.  In the case
of school prayer, some attack the very separation of Church and State.

Some individuals involved in the above issues attempt to justify their
positions by reference to the ``Christian Heritage'' of the United
States.  They identify one position as being in concord with
Christianity (as they see it), they claim that the U.S. is a Christian
Nation, and therefore the Christian position ought to be the position of
the government.

And this is where the issue of our Christian Heritage becomes important.
While most Americans (like most people of European ancestry) are
Christian, most immigrants did NOT come here to establish a Christian
commune, and the government was founded on strictly secular principles.

speter@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Peter Osgood) (09/09/86)

Those who founded Virginia were more interested in a money making
trading company than a religous colony.

Those who landed at Plymouth, the Pilgrims, 51 of them, were
Separatists who were fleeing the oppressive English crown.

Rhode Island and Connecticut were both founded by disenchanted Puritans
who started the Quaker religon.

Maryland was settled by Roman Catholics.

New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania was settle by Lutherans.

Georgia and Massachusetts started out as trading companies.

When it came time to write the Constitution in 1789, it was
eminently obvious to Jefferson et. al. that we needed a nation
which held to no specific religon.  It was painfully obvious to
them that any country which embraced a religon of state was doomed
to becoming oppressive.  Since life, liberty and the pursuit of
happiness was their goal they endevored the separation of church
and state.

We may have been founded in Christianity, but were have a Buddist,
Jewish, Moslem, heritage as well as others.

				---peter osgood---

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/09/86)

In article <1583@vax135.UUCP> gks@vax135.UUCP (Ken Swanson) writes:
> The following is based on excerpts from a sermon, "Church and State," by
> Rev. Dr. D. James Kennedy...
>
> Question:	Did the founders of this nation intend it to be a secularist,
> 		neutral, humanist nation; or did they believe that this was
> 		a nation created to the glory of God and that it was to be a
> 		godly, Christian state?

Depends who you considered the founders of the nation.  The so-called
evidence considers only early settlers who moved here, but did not found our
nation.  And should you consider the leaders, or the masses as founders?

If you consider the signers of the Declaration of Independance and the
ratifiers of the Constitution to be the founders, then you can clearly
state that the founders were NOT united in what they intended our nation
to be in many ways: religious, social, economic, etc.

On the other hand, it's a moot question.  There's no reason why we should
be entirely agreed with the founders of our nation: indeed they might have
changed their minds on a variety of issues if they had survived into our
own times.  Such as slavery, interference in foreign affairs, religion
(their Christian denominations are mostly tiny minorities now), taxation,
etc.

Government is a dynamic system that changes with the times.  We cannot
entirely rely on a static idea of what was intended in the past for
conditions that have since changed.  The whole idea of what the founding
fathers thought is stupid without comparisons of the contexts then and now.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (09/10/86)

In article <1583@vax135.UUCP> gks@vax135.UUCP (Ken Swanson) writes:

>Question:	Did the founders of this nation intend it to be a secularist,
>		neutral, humanist nation; ...
>
>Evidence:
>  *  	In 1606 the First Charter of Virginia was drawn up ...
>
>  *	On Nov. 11, 1620, as their ship, the Mayflower, ...
>
>  *	The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut was the first written
>	constitution (1639) ...

Uh ... I always thought this nation was founded in the 18th century,
Ken, not the 17th. What do events and documents from 1606, 1620, and
1639 (a period in which Americans pledged allegiance to the good old
King of E. and burned witches and Friends, among other things :-) have
to do with the Federalist papers, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights,
the Declaration of Independence, or Jefferson's/Madison's/Hamilton's/
Adams'/etc.'s (people I always thought of as the "founders of this
nation") thoughts on what this nation should be?

                           -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

za56@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Brian McNeill) (09/10/86)

In article <1583@vax135.UUCP> gks@vax135.UUCP (Ken Swanson) writes:
>The following is based on excerpts from a sermon, "Church and State," by
>Question:	Did the founders of this nation intend it to be a secularist,
>		neutral, humanist nation; or did they believe that this was
>		a nation created to the glory of God and that it was to be a
>		godly, Christian state?
>
>[Constitution of Virginia, 1620]
>[Plymouth Rock, 1600s]
>[Fundamental orders of Connecticut, 1639]

These were not of our country.  This was before the revolution, and
listed were colonies of the British empire.  In the constitution,
it expressly states that there shall be a separation between church
and state, and that it shall remain unbroken.  Let me point out
something you might have missed...a large portion of the Founding
Fathers were atheists, agnostics, or deistic freethinkers, including
such people as Thomas Jefferson (agnostic), Thomas Paine (atheist),
Ben Franklin (freethinker), John Adams (atheist), etc.  And these
were the people who founded our country, not the Puritans and
whatnot that you quoted.

>Ken Swanson
>AT&T Bell Labs
>... ihnp4!vax135!gks

| Brian McNeill        ARPA :           za56@sdcc3.ucsd.edu |
| HASA "A" Division    UUCP :  ...!sdcsvax!sdcc6!sdcc3!za56 |
! "This would be the best of all possible worlds if there   !
!  were no religion in it," -- John Adams, 2nd US President !