[net.religion.christian] Religion in Schools

gallmeis@unc.UUCP (Bill Gallmeister) (09/14/86)

In article <1359@curly.ucla-cs.ARPA> oac6.oleg@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (Oleg "Kill the
	bastards" Kiselev) writes:

>In essence, if you wish to study the Bible, you must provide similar exposure
>to the Hindu writings, classical Greek and Roman philosopy, Islam, Jewish
>tradition, etc. Ignoring these and other religions creates a kind of vacuum
>with only Xtianity available to fill it.

	One of the casualties of the 70's tax-crusades in California schools
was a gem of a class at my Junior High School, called Comparative Religions.
I took it, and in the 6 years through junior and senior high school, it was
probably the class that left the most lasting impression on me.  The course
covered the various Xtianities, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism,
Confucianism, and a host of variants/offshoots, Jainism being the one I
remember right now.  A rare and wonderful class, taught by a truly
inspirational man. Of course, luxuries like that aren't really available now.
Pity.  Our world would be the better for them.

Why is it that I doubt a class like that would be approved of by the
Fundamentalists?

- Bill O. Gallmeister	...!mcnc!unc!gallmeis