[net.religion.christian] On Swearing

gkm@ho95e.UUCP (gkm) (09/25/86)

> In article <5385@decwrl.DEC.COM> arndt@lymph.dec.com writes:
> >concept of why man should not 'curse'.
> >

> Ken, in all seriosity I hold the opposite view here.  Use of the curse "God
> damm it" is actually the Christian thing to do.  I'll even go so far as to
> say that a Christian who claims the opposite is being anti-Christian.

In dependent of the above "logical thinking", what the Christian
thing to do regarding swearing is, is clearly commanded the The LORD
of Lords in Matthew 5:33-37.

"Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time,
'Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord
thine oaths:' But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by
Heaven; for it is God's throne: Nor by the earth for it is his
footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great
King.  Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not
make one hair white or black.  BUT LET YOUR COMMUNICATION BE, YEA,
YEA; NAY, NAY: FOR WHATSOEVER IS MORE THAN THESE COMMETH OF EVIL."

Similar sentiments are found in James 5:12.

I have previously seen "Christians" on this net arguing why it is
correct for Christians to swear.  It is difficult for me to see how
Jesus could make this commandment clearer!

Gary McNees