[net.religion.christian] Feminism and Abortion

stim@fluke.UUCP (Randy Stimpson) (09/23/86)

The October issue of Sojourners featured an article on abortion by feminist
Ginny Soley.  In the article she shows how the rights of women and unborn
children must be addressed together, rather than separately.  Following are
a few quotes from the article.

"In order to deal with abortion, we must deal with the reality of the
oppression of women as a class of people within a particular culture.  From
that perspective the question of abortion really becomes a question of
justice.  What does it mean to do justice?  What does it mean to bring forth
justice for women and their children?"

"The particular and unique contribution of Christian feminism is to question
two assumptions.  The first assumption it questions is that the individual's
self-interest is, in fact, the highest value.  The second assumption it
questions is the vision of justice that pits a woman's rights against a child's
right to life, that forces us to see only one victim over and against another
victim.

"What we need is to find a way that is good for both mother and child.  In the
Christian worldview, the highest value extends beyond individual self-interest
to what is good for the whole of the community.  The responsibility for
anything we do also extends beyond the individual to the whole of the
community."

Randy Stimpson

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (09/26/86)

In article <1604@vax1.fluke.UUCP> stim@fluke.UUCP (Randy Stimpson) writes:

>The October issue of Sojourners featured an article on abortion by feminist
>Ginny Soley.  In the article she shows how the rights of women and unborn
>children must be addressed together, rather than separately.  Following are
>a few quotes from the article.
>
>"What we need is to find a way that is good for both mother and child.  In the
>Christian worldview, the highest value extends beyond individual self-interest
>to what is good for the whole of the community.  The responsibility for
>anything we do also extends beyond the individual to the whole of the
>community."

Unfortunately, she apparently says nothing about the nature of her
proposed solution.

These statements could be an intro to a demand for widespread high-level
welfare for all pregnant women such that any woman can raise a child in
the manner to which they would like to become accustomed; or it could be
an intro to a demand that all women be raised in a more "Christian" manner --
that books be banned, that marriages happen early, and that women subordinate
themselves to those who provide for them.

Could this noncommittal stance of hers be intentionally ambiguous, such
that it offends neither feminists nor moral majority types, since each can
read into the article what they would like?

Randy, if there is more substantive material in this article, please
quote that, too.

Cheryl

pmd@cbdkc1.UUCP (Paul M. Dubuc) (09/26/86)

Thanks for posting the quotes, Randy.  I can tell you that you'll
probably get some nasty letters (from a few men, probably) for posting
an article that challenges the pro-choice feminist line on abortion,
even though this subject is as much about feminism as abortion.  I got
this reaction when I posted an article describing the book _Pro-Life
Feminism: Different Voices_  (Gail Grenier Sweet, ed.).  No, I haven't
learned my lesson, guys. :-)  I still think people ought to know that
you can be against abortion *on demand* and be for women's rights.
I think there are some good arguments (those who have read my stuff
in net.abortion a couple of months ago have seen some of them) to the
effect that legalized abortion on demand may have done more harm than
good for women.

The concern for a consistent appeal for justice in our society is
forging a pro-life consensus on human rights issues like abortion,
poverty, discrimination, and the arms race.  The newly formed
Political Action Committee "JustLife", which I described a while back
is just one expression of this.  I hope this consensus grows enough
to leave out in the cold those who insist on clinging to the inconsistent
extremes on these issues.  (I have about 7 information packets
on JustLife that I would be glad to send to the first 7 people who will
mail me their postal address.  To the rest I'll send JustLife's address.
I don't have that handy to post right now.)
--

Paul Dubuc	cbdkc1!pmd