[net.religion.christian] Wyldeland theory of magic

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (09/25/86)

>     The powers controled by shamans however ARE NOT subject to spiritual
> laws.  These 'powers','unseen advisers', etc. are demons willingly giving
> power in exchange for domination of the shaman.  Demons give shamans power
> . . .

How do you know this? I should like to suggest that you read Eliade's
Shamanism, then make an *informed* opinion on the subject. (Sorry if
that's a tad harsh.)

--
Charles Blair   			    ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cjdb
The University of Chicago		    lib.cb%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

barry@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) (09/26/86)

I can understand the superstition, the fear, the misunderstanding of
witchcraft, and the assuption that witches worship themselves, etc. etc.
But when I read this, I almost choked

In article <188@wheaton> jody@wheaton.UUCP (J. Lee Johnson) writes:

>      Shamans as people have as many rights to a free life as any other
>human whose punishment has been paid by Christ's death.  This does not
>mean that their teachings and beliefs may go unchallenged.  The
>responsibility of those who have accepted Christ's sacrifice is to
>counter the philosophies of those who haven't.

Look, Bub.  Say what you want about my religion, but don't start this
"I must challenge your beliefs and counter your philosophies" nonsense.
Why not live and let live?  You believe your way, and I will believe mine.

Jody's paragraph seems to state the basic problem between christians and
the rest of the world.  The "my religion is right and yours is wrong"
routine which seems to put a frenzy of "pagan bashing" into the heads
of those who would like to believe they really can change the thinking
of non christians.  Whatever happened to "turn the other cheek"?

BTW, how would you feel if the pagans, witches, shamans, sorcerers, or
whatever you want to call us, decided that since you are so deluded and
obviously won't go to your post-earthly reward, that we have taken it upon
ourselves to "educate" you to the lies of christianity in order to save
your immortal soul?  Would this be any different than your preceeding
paragraph?  Why or why not?

Mikki Barry
HASA
"There is nothing rationally desirable that cannot be achieved if
 rationality itself increases"