[net.religion.christian] The word of God and other matters

rush@cwrudg.UUCP (rush) (10/06/86)

In article <8657@duke.duke.UUCP> rjn@duke.UUCP (R. James Nusbaum) writes:

>Bullshit!  I've read enough of the 'word of God' and
>although I certainly agree with many of the moral standards and teachings
>of Christianity, I find nothing special in these teachings.  They are
>basically the same as the moral teachings of many other religions and
>philosophies.
--- I once felt this way, until I realized that the missing element
from 'other religions and philosophies' was Christ. People everywhere
know the difference between good and evil (that's a consequence of the
garden incident...), but I have yet to see a religion/philosophy that
really enables people to live holy lives. I looked into quite a few
before the Lord took hold of my life, they are all just roads to emptiness
and frustration. But after once being freed from sin, life in the Lord
is joy and peace. It was difficult for me as a confirmed sinner (i believed
that God was, and was the creator of all things, I just wasn't interested
in the Bible's explanation of things -- it was too threatening to my ego.
Pride is the root of all sin.) to accept the neccessity of Christ's
death for me, in light of the similitude of the moral teaching of the
Bible. So I took the hard road, I tried to 'be good' without the Lord
(via Taoism, Buddhism, Am. Indian Paganism, Grateful Deadism et al),
and I got better than I deserved. Jesus took me aside one day, and said
"Why are you fighting what you already know to be true? You only hurt
yourself, and bring yourself to death. Follow me to life." Christ said
of _Himself_, "I am the way and the truth and the life, no man comes
unto the father except by me." Truth is stranger than fiction.

>I see
>very few devout Christians who I respect.  The image of Christianity
>I see today in the US is that of TV preachers and abortion clinic
>bombers.  When your God deals with these people, who are using his name
>and teachings in a warped way then maybe I'll believe.  You and maybe
>others on the net may be good well meaning people, but the others drown
>out your voices.
--- Someone once said, "let God be true, and every man a liar." What
people do in the name of God does not change God. I don't claim to have
an inside track on the Lord's plans for those who "have given occasion
to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme", but I do know that Jesus said
"Many will come in that day and say, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in
Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in your name perform
many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you,
depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness."

>You know I would even be impressed if someone could give me a solid
>argument as to why Christainity is better than any other of the worlds
>major religions.
--- As far as I know, the only thing that makes Christianity 'better'
is that it's true (how that for circular reasoning :-). But seriously,
as far as I know Christianity is the only religion whose founder sacrificed
His authority, His power, and His life for the sake of mankind. But
because He humbled Himself and served man, God exalted Him to reign
over men (see Colossians, chapter 1).

I know that this is not a 'solid' argument by the standards that I would
have set if I had written the original article. Would you please be so kind
as to post you criteria for judging such an argument?

>BTW, I do believe in a superior power.  I have only to look at the
>wonders of this planet and the living creatures on it to see my
>miracles.  I don't need any promises of personal salvation to coerce
>me into loving my fellow creatures.  What arogance it is to think that
>in the immensity of time and space, the creator would give a holy damn
>about the lives of a single species on a single planet.  The creator
>has given us the greatest blessing imaginable, life and a beautiful
>planet to live it on.  We make our own heavens and hells, don't blame
>them on God.
>	- Jim Nusbaum
Another attitude that seems arrogant to me is one that declares that God is
*not* interested in the affairs of Earth. In the Bible God shows great
interest  in human, earthly, life. And if He is omnipotent and  omniscient,
I certainly think He'd have the time to be interested.

"The devils also believe and tremble."

		Richard Rush	- Just another Jesus freak in computer science
		decvax!cwruecmp!cwrudg!rush

		All scripture quotations are approximate as I am relying on memory.