[net.religion.christian] The Most Memorable Character I Never Met

magore@watdcsu.UUCP (M.A.Gore - ICR) (09/29/86)

	.... and we read things like:

>library...)  You did get one thing right though...Buddha did not
>live 1000 years before Christ...more like 600 years (still an
>awfully big gap there...)

	The Bible says that Christ was with God in the beginning.
That Christ *is* the word of God see prophecy and read *who* is
the 'word' in Revelation. Read Psalm 22 then get a good Concordance
to point you to the Verses starting in the OT. Lot's of
verses in the OT about the Christ to come (even where he would be born...)
2000 years ago...
	Just a thought :-)

>ago...)  Think of that...80% (thats 4+ BILLION PEOPLE) of the
>world's population is condemned to hell (not forgetting the billions
			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Where does the Bible state this (it doesn't - no not just the number)
God said He is the God of the living *not* the dead. They haven't been
judged *yet*. And will be judged by what they *know* - as to what
*they* know (do you know all 4 + BILLION?) -read... You should not put
numbers to things like this because God said Judgment is mine
(God's of course). You assume he is BAD which isn't what the Bible states...
And you *think* you use the Bible to back you up!... How does the Bible
state that God will reveal Himself to Christians so they can ultimately
say there is truth in the Bible. If it were not for that -you could not
argue anything with 'it' -as a closed system devoid of history or of God...
(circular....)

	You seem not to know enough of the Bible to make sense of it.
 - does take work and you have to *want* too. God/Christ will make the rest
clear once you repent and seek God....

	 Keep looking...

# Mike Gore
# Institute for Computer Research.
# These ideas/concepts do not imply views held by the University of Waterloo.

pmd@cbdkc1.UUCP (Paul M. Dubuc) (09/29/86)

In article <2592@watdcsu.UUCP> magore@watdcsu.UUCP (M.A.Gore - ICR) writes:

>>ago...)  Think of that...80% (thats 4+ BILLION PEOPLE) of the
>>world's population is condemned to hell (not forgetting the billions
>			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	Where does the Bible state this (it doesn't - no not just the number)
>God said He is the God of the living *not* the dead. They haven't been
>judged *yet*. And will be judged by what they *know* - as to what
>*they* know (do you know all 4 + BILLION?) -read... You should not put
>numbers to things like this because God said Judgment is mine
>(God's of course). You assume he is BAD which isn't what the Bible states...
>And you *think* you use the Bible to back you up!... How does the Bible
>state that God will reveal Himself to Christians so they can ultimately
>say there is truth in the Bible. If it were not for that -you could not
>argue anything with 'it' -as a closed system devoid of history or of God...
>(circular....)
>
>	You seem not to know enough of the Bible to make sense of it.
> - does take work and you have to *want* too. God/Christ will make the rest
>clear once you repent and seek God....

A good point is made here, I think, and it points out a subtile tactic
of many debunkers:  They take all their evidence against God from the
Bible (assuming it for the sake of argument to be true) then reject
the Bible's theocentric claims about God's character using their own
(anthropocentric) moral standard.  Of course, God comes out guilty every
time.  God is accused of having a double standard by a double standard.
Where theism is concerned, God IS the standard and I think he does act
consistently within that, as it has been revealed.  It is certianly no
suprise that he often does not follow our temporal standards.  Anyway,
Christianity does make provision for everyone to take the issue up with
God personally at some point.
--

Paul Dubuc	cbdkc1!pmd

cc100jr@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Joel Rives) (10/08/86)

In article <1604@cbdkc1.UUCP> pmd@dkc1.UUCP (Paul M. Dubuc) writes:

>time.  God is accused of having a double standard by a double standard.
>Where theism is concerned, God IS the standard and I think he does act

If so, which god?

The point of introducing actual figures into the discussion [See the article
to which Paul is replying for further information] is to dispell any illusion
that Christianity represents anything more than a small minority of people
in the world. I would like to add to this that, considering our technical
level of mass communication and transportation, undoubtably a large portion
of those who do not profess Christianity have come in contact with it and
have chosen - for various reasons I am sure - to maintain their faith that
the god they worship is of greater value to them than the Christian god.
What we seem to have here is an even smaller percentage of the Christian
community (a sect, if you will) which insists on standing up and proclaiming
that their way is "THE ONLY WAY" and that all others should accept this
without question. At the same time, we have the vast majority of people in the
world either ignoring these few statistical anomalies or, in some cases, when
the shouts of these few are directed towards them, we see an occasional
appeal to "sit down, shut up and stop making such a damnable fool of yourself"

>consistently within that, as it has been revealed.  It is certianly no
>suprise that he often does not follow our temporal standards.  Anyway,
>Christianity does make provision for everyone to take the issue up with
>God personally at some point.
>--

Nothing can be much of a suprise where faith is concerned.
I am interested in knowing more of your thoughts upon this "provision"
that Christiantity makes with regards to everyone.

Thanks.

--
Joel Rives     gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

              There is no place to seek the mind;
                          It is like the footprints of the birds in the sky.