[ca.general] Should we reuse mag tapes?

jacobo@megatest.UUCP (02/18/87)

   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?

   Would someone have a strong feeling, based on experience or data, one way
   or  the other?  I know that the whole idea of using mag tapes is that you
   can reuse them a good number of times,  but  I  have  also  heard  people
   saying that valuable info should go on virgin tapes.

   Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Please mail to  me  directly.
   Thanks.

							              Jacobo
   UUCP:   {decvax!decwrl, ucbvax, ihnp4} !sun!megatest!jacobo
	   {dlb, lbl-csam, amd, ubvax} !megatest!jacobo
   USMAIL: Megatest; 880 Fox Lane; San Jose, Ca 95131
   PHONE:  (408)437-9700 x 3171
--

ems@apple.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <1058@megatest.UUCP> jacobo@megatest.UUCP (Jacobo Bulaevsky) writes:

>   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
>   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?
>
>   Would someone have a strong feeling, based on experience or data, one way
>   or  the other?  I know that the whole idea of using mag tapes is that you
>   can reuse them a good number of times,  but  I  have  also  heard  people
>   saying that valuable info should go on virgin tapes.
>
>   Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Please mail to  me  directly.
>   Thanks.

I think this topic is of general enough concern that replies should be
posted.  I'm interested.

WAR STORY:  Once upon a time a company I worked for used virgin tapes for
the important stuff.  Then we started having a strange problem.  Some
tapes would be fine for a while, then after being stored for a few days
would be unreadable.  This was never completely solved, but was believed
to be due to a batch of questionable tapes.

MORAL: Use relatively new, but not virgin tape for really important things.
You want to get past any 'infant mortality' problems and use a proven
product.  Avoid heavily used tape, as it can begin to develop problems.

We did one of our daily backups on a virgin tape, then took the oldest
tapes out to be 'keepers'  This gave the tape a few uses before something
critical went on it.  If we hit a bogus virgin tape, it was only one
days worth that was lost, the prior day having been done on a veteran
tape.  Of course, we had to check the backups periodically ...

It takes a LOT of uses to wear a tape out.  I would guess somewhere in
the hundred range or so...

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

jnp@calmasd.UUCP (02/26/87)

> jacobo@megatest.UUCP (Jacobo Bulaevsky) writes:

>   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
>   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?

In the broadcast field (yes - I know that the recording techniques are
different - but the media isn't) it is generally accepted that used but not
worn-out tapes are best for archival storage.  Has something to do with the
original-factory-fresh erasing done, and that it takes several recording
erasing cycles to make the tape really "take" a recording well.

I have heard this arguement applied to Video tapes as well.

My guess is that - at least to some extent - it would be true for digital
tapes as well.

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, Data Management Group, San Diego

tooch@guppy.UUCP (03/10/87)

>>   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes for important data...

>				...it is generally accepted that used but not
>worn-out tapes are best for archival storage.  Has something to do with the
>original-factory-fresh erasing done, and that it takes several recording
>erasing cycles to make the tape really "take" a recording well.

Nonsense. Every single pass degrades tape through friction and tension
(shuttle on a poorly designed transport is hell on tape).
For that matter, the heads get worn and/or clogged also. Oxide comes
off, the substrate stretches, etc. Each pass brings the tape closer
to death, and statistically increases chances for droupout (the
bugaboo of digital tape) and so forth. In the world of magnetic
recording, unlike life, the first time is not only the best,
it's also completely forgettable.

With that said, I must also point out that the degradation experienced
each pass varies depending on tape and transport, but by and large
the first (say) dozen passes on a GOOD recorder SHOULD produce
unnoticeable changes in the quality of a GOOD tape.

This is as I heard it at Ampex. 3M might tell you differently.

--Mike Tuciarone
  tooch@sun